The Student Room Group

Postgraduate accommodation for LSHTM

Hi everyone,
I'm a international student in my mid twenties coming to London to study a Masters degree at the LSHTM this September.
I'm keen to stay somewhere close to the uni where I will meet people as I will not know anyone in London!
I've applied to the Intercollegiate halls (they have a limited number of rooms available to LSHTM students) and Goodenough College. Unfortunately LSHTM doesn't have its own student halls.
I've also been looking at Derwent Point, Victoria Hall Paris Garden, Depot Point, Nido Kings Cross, Urbanest Kings Cross, and Woburn Place Unite which are all within about 30mins walking distance from the uni.
International Lutheran student centre, International students house and Helen Graham house all look fairly close but it seems like the rooms are pretty dodgy, and they don't have ensuites and you have to share a bathroom with a lot of people, which I'm not very keen on.
I'd like to stay somewhere social where I can meet people. I would prefer somewhere with an ensuite but somewhere that has shared common rooms or kitchens.
I wouldn't mind flat sharing however, I don't know how I feel about just people put in a room/house with people I have never had any contact with.
Can anyone recommend any other places I could live? Has anyone lived at any of the above mentioned places or know anything about them? Any recommendations/reviews/thoughts??
Thanks!
Also considering Therese House and London Mansion Bloomsbury
Depot Point: Lovely studios & ideal location. Common kitchen looks fantastic. I have secured a small studio there.

Urbanest Kings Cross: Lovely facilities & really new. But location is a bit 'out of the way' - located on like a mini hill - approx. 10 mins walk from King's Cross station. It'd be really quiet there but the 'isolated' feeling is not what I want.

Woburn Place Unite: Very central and convenient location. Rooms are decent and facilities are not the best but fairly new. However the rent is higher then Depot Point therefore I'd rather live not that central but get a bigger room.

Helen Graham house: really central (opposite to british museum) and cheap for its location. However facilities are dirty & old, and apparently residents like to complain a lot. Policy is also quite strict - e.g. no visitors allowed to stay overnight.

Therese House: Fair price for its location, but I just don't like it. Not the right feeling for me. Facilities slightly older than Woburn Unite but better than Helen Graham.

London Mansion Bloomsbury: Old, overpriced, grim, small rooms....wouldn't recommend this.

You could also look at Pure Bankside/Pure City - they are all really new and nicely located.
(edited 3 years ago)
Thanks!
I ended up getting a place at Goodenough college so I'm going to go there
Original post by Jaime.Sim
Depot Point: Lovely studios & ideal location. Common kitchen looks fantastic. I have secured a small studio there.

Urbanest Kings Cross: Lovely facilities & really new. But location is a bit 'out of the way' - located on like a mini hill - approx. 10 mins walk from King's Cross station. It'd be really quiet there but the 'isolated' feeling is not what I want.

Woburn Place Unite: Very central and convenience location. Rooms are decent and facilities are not the best but fairly new. However the rent is higher then Depot Point therefore I'd rather live not that central but get a bigger room.

Helen Graham house: really central (opposite to british museum) and cheap for its location. However facilities are dirty & old and people seem quite doggy there, and apparently residents like to complain a lot. Policy is also quite strict - e.g. no visitors allowed to stay overnight.

Therese House: Fair price for its location, but I just don't like it. Not the right feeling for me. Facilities slightly older than Woburn Unite but better than Helen Graham.

London Mansion Bloomsbury: Old, overpriced, grim, small rooms....wouldn't recommend this.

You could also look at Pure Bankside/Pure City - they are all really new and nicely located.

I've got a place at Helen Graham House, but what you wrote has made me slightly worried. I do know about their no overnight guests rule. Are the facilities really awful? The pictures I saw weren't too bad...

Woburn Place Unite: Very central and convenience location. Rooms are decent and facilities are not the best but fairly new. However the rent is higher then Depot Point therefore I'd rather live not that central but get a bigger room.

Helen Graham house: really central (opposite to british museum) and cheap for its location. However facilities are dirty & old and people seem quite doggy there, and apparently residents like to complain a lot. Policy is also quite strict - e.g. no visitors allowed to stay overnight.

Hi, hi, im about to secure a place at depot point. Have you been there in person?
Im afraid the en-suite rooms are too small, I want to make sure they're not before paying but don't know how to get that info since I'm not in London yet. I would really appreciate more info from you if you have it :smile:

cheers!
Hi, have you already been to depot point in person and seen the rooms? I'm about to secure a place there but the en-suite rooms seem really small, I want to make sure they're not tiny rectangles.. Haha what can you say?

Thanks!
I am in a similar position to Carolina, as I'm studying at westminster and deciding where to stay.

I was looking for a bit more information before I booked and I came across some reviews for depot point on hall bookers which is useful.

What other halls are options? I'm kind of stuck/confused.
Original post by alexandrablue
I am in a similar position to Carolina, as I'm studying at westminster and deciding where to stay.

I was looking for a bit more information before I booked and I came across some reviews for depot point on hall bookers which is useful.

What other halls are options? I'm kind of stuck/confused.

Hi Alexandra!

I'm pleased to hear you'll be studying with us, we look forward to you starting in September!

I just wanted to let you know about a few resources we have for students looking for housing. There is a Facebook group for those looking for private housing, and there is lots of information on our Accommodation team's website.

You're always welcome to give us a call or give me a shout on here if you've got any questions or want any help.

Rosie :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by wakeypuzziegirl
I've got a place at Helen Graham House, but what you wrote has made me slightly worried. I do know about their no overnight guests rule. Are the facilities really awful? The pictures I saw weren't too bad...

did you stay at helen graham house? would you make a review? thanks!
Reply 10
Hi ! I know this is an old topic but does anyone knows if Therese house has a no overnight visiors policy?
Original post by wakeypuzziegirl

Did you stay there in the end? Could you let us know what it is like and did they enforce the no guests rule? I don't see how they could... I have just asked for myself in this post: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4654600#primary_content
Reply 12

I was thinking of booking a studio at depot point. Can you please share your experience?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending