The Student Room Group

Cardiff university Pharmacy firm and insurance 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SuperSixSix
I am sure that grade boundaries will be A LOT lower this year thanks to AQA. They pushed all their exams to May/June so students had more on their plate.

I'm not sure if anyone knows about the AQA biology exam of June 13. It was something like 42 UMS for an A .
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm glad I'm not doing Maths, I do WJEC for all my subjects so Law, Chemisty and Human Biology, so I guess it makes things easier that they're all with the same exam board haha.
Reply 41
I wish i never did maths...stupid exam board decided to bombard student with hardest questions portraying everyone as stupids...plus my teacher had an operation so wasnt in for 3 months plus no cover teacher...we did c4 completely ourself :frown:
Reply 42
Original post by Mellymoo10
A lot of people in my college said their maths exams were awful too so they'll lower the grade boundaries :smile: Apparently Portsmouth have that house hunting event, which is what puts me off, afraid I'm going to live with horrible people for a whole year as I'm such a bad judge of character :frown:

What is house hunting event? I havent heard abt it...
Original post by Riya1
I wish i never did maths...stupid exam board decided to bombard student with hardest questions portraying everyone as stupids...plus my teacher had an operation so wasnt in for 3 months plus no cover teacher...we did c4 completely ourself :frown:

Yeah that happened to me. Pretty much taught myself Mechanics and chemistry . My college didn't really care :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by SuperSixSix
Yeah that happened to me. Pretty much taught myself Mechanics and chemistry . My college didn't really care :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awww :frown: i did both As and A2 biology in 1 year and my biology teacher left school after xmas and had no teacher till end of feb plus same story with maths...just my chemistry teachers were ok otherwise college didnt care...its very unfair when i compare myself with other grammar schools and indepedent schools :frown:
Original post by Riya1
What is house hunting event? I havent heard abt it...

Basically, if you put Portsmouth as your insurance you can't get into student halls. So they organise a day where, people who got into Portsmouth because they were their insurance or they got in via clearing, have to get into groups of 5/6 (this happens in the morning) and then in the afternoon, you go looking at houses in your groups
Reply 46
Basically, if you put Portsmouth as your insurance you can't get into student halls. So they organise a day where, people who got into Portsmouth because they were their insurance or they got in via clearing, have to get into groups of 5/6 (this happens in the morning) and then in the afternoon, you go looking at houses in your groups

Oh no!!! :frown: thats sad....what if i dont like people in my grp :frown: how will i be able to survive a year with them oh god!
Original post by Riya1
Oh no!!! :frown: thats sad....what if i dont like people in my grp :frown: how will i be able to survive a year with them oh god!

I know!! I suppose it's a bit like speed dating :K:
If we both end up going to portsmouth it'd be great to get to know you - possible roomies :colondollar:
Reply 48
I know!! I suppose it's a bit like speed dating :K:
If we both end up going to portsmouth it'd be great to get to know you - possible roomies :colondollar:

Haha speed dating lol and ya ofcourse i think i will more comfortable with you then anyother random person...at least i will know u bit more than others as am talking to you now :biggrin:
Original post by Riya1
Haha speed dating lol and ya ofcourse i think i will more comfortable with you then anyother random person...at least i will know u bit more than others as am talking to you now :biggrin:

haha exactly :colondollar: lets hope it doesn't come to portsmouth though! What's your first choice accommodation for Cardiff? :smile:
Reply 50
haha exactly :colondollar: lets hope it doesn't come to portsmouth though! What's your first choice accommodation for Cardiff? :smile:

I dont remember the order exactly but i guess its talybon south followed by the north or its other way round but its one of them...what abt u?
Original post by Riya1
I dont remember the order exactly but i guess its talybon south followed by the north or its other way round but its one of them...what abt u?

Well I remember I put Talybont South as my first but I can't remember the others!
Has anyone tried logging onto sims??
Original post by _Heather.
Has anyone tried logging onto sims??

Yep nothing there yet
It just says that we should log on to track for status of application
Good luck guys! Hope to see you all around Redwood come September!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nice one Rob!! :smile: :gthumb:

Original post by RobJ93
Good luck guys! Hope to see you all around Redwood come September!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone have any good news?
Hi everyone sorry to derail this thread but I have few questions as i hope to apply for pharmacy this year :redface:

will i be put at any disadvantage if do A2 psychology instead of maths? I did well in both but maths gets hard next year, and I need to concentrate on chemistry :smile:

I don't have pharmacy work experience (I have phoned up almost all pharmacists in my area) :frown: will this put me at a disadvantage as I've heard Cardiff is a good university so I'll be up against people who have lots of experience? I have work experience in a phlebotomist/nurses clinic and I have volunteering experience (care home and youth club for disabled teens). I've also talked to a pharmacist about the career and I hope to write about what I've learnt about it.

I'm not sure how to write my PS :s-smilie: I have experience but I don't know how to relate it to pharmacy.

Anyway sorry for the lengthy post and well done for getting offers! Hope you all enjoy the course wherever you end up :smile:

Original post by daisychain_
Hi everyone sorry to derail this thread but I have few questions as i hope to apply for pharmacy this year :redface:

will i be put at any disadvantage if do A2 psychology instead of maths? I did well in both but maths gets hard next year, and I need to concentrate on chemistry :smile:

I don't have pharmacy work experience (I have phoned up almost all pharmacists in my area) :frown: will this put me at a disadvantage as I've heard Cardiff is a good university so I'll be up against people who have lots of experience? I have work experience in a phlebotomist/nurses clinic and I have volunteering experience (care home and youth club for disabled teens). I've also talked to a pharmacist about the career and I hope to write about what I've learnt about it.

I'm not sure how to write my PS :s-smilie: I have experience but I don't know how to relate it to pharmacy.

Anyway sorry for the lengthy post and well done for getting offers! Hope you all enjoy the course wherever you end up :smile:

No you won't be at a disadvantage. As long as you have Chemistry and one other science including Biology or Physics. Maths does get harder in Year 13 but to be honest I found it a lot more enjoyable and you will probably be writing loads of essays in Psychology anyway. Overall I'd choose the subject you did best in and the one you enjoy the most and comes most naturally to you.

I only had one week I work experience in a Pharmacy, so I can't say I had loads either. You should try and be persistent with asking for the work experience, I had to go in several times to my local Co-op pharmacy before they have me the work experience and I only got it in the end because "I was persistent and showed enthusiasm". You do have some work experience though in other areas so maybe relate that back to the skills a pharmacist should have and how that work experience helped? The volunteering will probably be easiest to link as you can mention how you were about to empathise with people. It depends what your volunteering was though really :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending