The Student Room Group

Is this a reasonable uni life for a 20 year old??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You all sound like a bunch of pushovers, hence the reason why your sister has morphed into the way that she is.

I have an older sibling who sounds similar. A stubborn, selfish, entitled waste of space who thinks parents are obligated to do ridiculous things for their kids for life because they chose to give birth to them.

My Uni is 3 hours from home and if I asked my parents to give me a lift everyday, they'd be laughing for weeks.

She cant have it both ways. She should either move out, or commute. And when I say commute, I mean she should spend her own money and endure the boring 3 hour train or bus ride to University.
Original post by damnation
Not that simple, 19 year olds don't respond to discipline like 8 year olds. What would you suggest?

Not to drive her for one.
If I asked my mum to do that she'd tell me to **** off in no uncertain terms.

I understand your parents may find it hard but if they want her to change then they'll have to stop pandering to her needs, otherwise where's the incentive?
That would make things worse as tempting as it is

It might make her behaviour worse in the short term, but in the long term, if she's shown she can't just get whatever she wants by throwing a tantrum, she'll have to learn and grow up one way or another.
Reply 23
Original post by Xyloid
You all sound like a bunch of pushovers, hence the reason why your sister has morphed into the way that she is.

I have an older sibling who sounds similar. A stubborn, selfish, entitled waste of space who thinks parents are obligated to do ridiculous things for their kids for life because they chose to give birth to them.

My Uni is 3 hours from home and if I asked my parents to give me a lift everyday, they'd be laughing for weeks.

She cant have it both ways. She should either move out, or commute. And when I say commute, I mean she should spend her own money and endure the boring 3 hour train or bus ride to University.

Pushovers? My father is extremely strict but he has to work abroad and he deals with it when he visits. My sister sent me to hospital once after assaulting me so we don't speak anymore. That was after defending myself so there's only so far you can go without committing a crime. All down to my mum who has a billion other things to deal with and is trying her best. That's why I'm asking on here
Reply 24
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
It might make her behaviour worse in the short term, but in the long term, if she's shown she can't just get whatever she wants by throwing a tantrum, she'll have to learn and grow up one way or another.

It's a lot deeper than just a tantrum, and not just a matter of discipline

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a lot deeper than just a tantrum, and not just a matter of discipline

Posted from TSR Mobile

If violence is involved then you need to consider police action.

Have you considered the possibility that your sisters behaviours could be down to mental health problems. There are some disorders where rages are common and if she isn't motivated to do anything with her life there could be something in that too.
Reply 26
Pushovers? My father is extremely strict but he has to work abroad and he deals with it when he visits. My sister sent me to hospital once after assaulting me so we don't speak anymore. That was after defending myself so there's only so far you can go without committing a crime. All down to my mum who has a billion other things to deal with and is trying her best. That's why I'm asking on here

It takes two seconds for someone to remind their daughter that when they live under their roof, the parents expect respect and pleasantry for reasons that should be obvious (You know, with the whole giving them life and all).

If not, you kick them out. She's almost 20, not 10.

It's hard to live as a young person nowadays in terms of financing yourself etc. Regardless, your mum didn't make society that way. Your sister should therefore be extra appreciative of the fact that shes got a roof over her head and a mum who does as much as she can for her.
(edited 9 years ago)
Man/Women up and get a bloody big stick and force her out the door. Shes sounds like a narcissist and as such she couldn't care less what you think. But she could care more if there was a big stick coming at her.

Some people only understand violence damnation!
Get your mother to drive near the train station, say the cars broken down, hop on the train and get her there!!

She obviously has issues and maybe a talk with her GP is needed as she seems to have depressive/ anxiety/ self-esteem issues which need sorting out now if she is to be successful at uni. Getting her to try and stay in uni halls would also help as 3 hrs commute is ridiculous and your mum or someone could offer to take some time off work and stay with her for the first week or two in halls to help her settle. There's loads of help at uni available like mentors and things for people to gain confidence in gaining friends and organizing their workload etc so maybe helping her research whats available at the uni she may be going to would be beneficial? Being understanding and not giving in to arguments would help to get her to eventually calm down and take things seriously.
Reply 29
She needs a metaphorical whack round the head. Honestly she is sounding like a large 10 year old, if I were her parents she would be on the streets.
Do not let your mum even think about driving her anywhere from now on. Look after your mum. Expressing your worry on here makes you sound like you care for your sister despite this and want the best thing but the one who needs protecting is you mother for sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by Xyloid
It takes two seconds for someone to remind their daughter that when they live under their roof, the parents expect respect and and pleasantry for reasons that she be obvious (You know, with the whole giving them life and all).

If not, you kick them out. She's almost 20, not 10.

It's hard to live as a young person nowadays in terms of financing yourself etc. Regardless, your mum didn't make society that way. Your sister should therefore be extra appreciate of the fact that shes got a roof over her head and a mum who does as much as she can for her.

Of course my parents say that, and threaten to kick her out but they would never really do that because she has no money and literally nowhere to go.
Reply 31
Original post by pinkglitterx
Get your mother to drive near the train station, say the cars broken down, hop on the train and get her there!!

She obviously has issues and maybe a talk with her GP is needed as she seems to have depressive/ anxiety/ self-esteem issues which need sorting out now if she is to be successful at uni. Getting her to try and stay in uni halls would also help as 3 hrs commute is ridiculous and your mum or someone could offer to take some time off work and stay with her for the first week or two in halls to help her settle. There's loads of help at uni available like mentors and things for people to gain confidence in gaining friends and organizing their workload etc so maybe helping her research whats available at the uni she may be going to would be beneficial? Being understanding and not giving in to arguments would help to get her to eventually calm down and take things seriously.

I know but there's no way she would ever leave the house to see a shrink, she just tells us to **** off. If we don't argue back she ends up winning and having the power, you can't just ignore your kid when they yell at your face.. arguing back just makes her shout louder and we're really wary of the neighbors and our new dog.
Reply 32
If violence is involved then you need to consider police action.

Have you considered the possibility that your sisters behaviours could be down to mental health problems. There are some disorders where rages are common and if she isn't motivated to do anything with her life there could be something in that too.

Yeah of course but we can't do anything about that if she's not willing to help herself. Physically she would not attend any sessions and if someone came over she would have a fit and get rid of them
(edited 9 years ago)
So what if she goes out with uni friends? Will your Mum drive her then? She'll be a laughing stock and your Mum will become exhausted- IT'LL BE A 6 HOUR ROUND TRIP, YOUR SISTER NEEDS TO GROW UP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Are you sure it's not your parents/father who's demanding she stays at home, given their attitude to you leaving for halls? :confused:
Reply 35
Original post by samba
Are you sure it's not your parents/father who's demanding she stays at home, given their attitude to you leaving for halls? :confused:

Noo it's different for me, I'm younger and going to uni early remember. They'd love her to go but she doesn't want
Yeah of course but we can't do anything about that if she's not willing to help herself. Physically she would not attend any sessions and if someone came over she would have a fit and get rid of them

Yeah, I understand that very well, but its also another reason to not let her get her way all the time, try to get her to think about what she's doing and learn she cannot get everything she wants by flipping out. Doing so isn't helping her and you need to convince your mum of that. If not things will most likely just keep spiralling

The thing is, I don't really know what other advice we can give than stand up to her and not give in to her... you seem to be dismissing every piece of advice people are giving you. Clearly, something needs to change, and someone needs to put those changes in place and since she's not going to do it, its up to you and your family.
Reply 37
Yeah, I understand that very well, but its also another reason to not let her get her way all the time, try to get her to think about what she's doing and learn she cannot get everything she wants by flipping out. Doing so isn't helping her and you need to convince your mum of that. If not things will most likely just keep spiralling

The thing is, I don't really know what other advice we can give than stand up to her and not give in to her... you seem to be dismissing every piece of advice people are giving you. Clearly, something needs to change, and someone needs to put those changes in place and since she's not going to do it, its up to you and your family.

We have said that all before, we've done everything we can that's why I'm quite exasperated. I know I've made my parents sound like pushovers but they've tried everything and she's impossible. I guess i'm dismissing everything because (although it's great advice) she would keep fighting back until we hit rock bottom. I dealt with her by refusing to talk to her after i had my stitches so that no conversation could trigger a fit and my life would be more peaceful but we live in the same house, it creates tension. They think that might add to her regret/guilt now and if i spoke to her i could help but i don't want chances of it happening again
Reply 38
My older sister who is 19 now will be 20 when she starts uni. She's stubborn, selfish,aggressive and is ruining the family but refuses to stay away from home for uni. She is demanding my mother to drive her every day to uni which is 3 hours away and refuses to stay in dorms/ share a flat with other people. She'll just become more antisocial and bitter and we're all worried about her but there's no way she won't end up getting what she wants because she bullies my parents into it. I don't know what to do, isn't it an insane request?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow your sister sounds like an immature, spoiled brat. What a toxic person. If your mum knew what was good for her she would refuse to drive her - How awful would it be to drive 6 hours every day? I wouldn't be surprised if she dropped out. I think if she can't deal with moving away she should go to a nearby university like any decent person would.
You can't be worrying and fretting over your sister, she is nearly twenty. She needs to grow up and realise that mummy and daddy won't be there to help her though her whole life. She sounds like she has a horrible personality and she has to get a taste of the real world.

It kind of seems like you've avoided doing anything to make it worse - hence pandering to her. Perhaps what needs to be done is the things that will make it worse... because it needs to get worse before it can get better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending