The Student Room Group

Favourite Harry Potter character?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MJ1012
Snape went on to become who he did probably due to the bullying he suffered. People talked about James affectionately because he was dead, that always happens.

By that logic, if someone rapes you then you go on to become a rapist.

I can't imagine Lily marrying anyone and she chose James. That's more than enough :tongue:
Am I the only person that likes Slughorn? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ginny's my favourite - closely followed by Ron and Sirius.
Seamus. Shame he wasn't in it more.
Reply 64
Original post by ShadowPenn
By that logic, if someone rapes you then you go on to become a rapist.

I can't imagine Lily marrying anyone and she chose James. That's more than enough :tongue:

People who have suffered abuse are more likely to abuse people in the future.
The books, as far as I can remember, never really gave any reason to like James and plenty to dislike him, so I dislike him.
Ron. He's like my perfect man. :ahee: I completely understand all his feelings and insecurities. Aw.
Rupert is also extremely easy on the eyes.:colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StretfordEnd
Slughorn and Dumbledore are much more interesting character than many others.

Dumbledore is boring at the beginning but more details are revealed about his past in the later books. Slughorn, from his introduction, is immediately more of a complex character than some of those who had been developing since book one.

I find Sirius, Lupin, The Weasleys etc etc largely boring. Ditto Umbridge, Lestrange, Voldemort are the same; they're all such 1 dimensional characters that could've been written by a child. Either absolutely good or absolutely evil, it's very dull.

I suppose Malfoy and Snape are interesting in that regard, too; although Snape's utter redemption was a bit to predictable. I'd have enjoyed it if the books finished with him still being a very divisive figure but it wasn't to be.

I don't think that's very fair. I actually think J.K did an excellent job giving the "heroes" flaws. Sirius was adventurous and brave, willing to die for his friends; but he was also extremely immature, flaky, undependable, impatient, careless and sometimes quite selfish. Lupin was a desperate people-pleaser because of his condition to the point of remaining quiet and passive when he should have spoken up, and allowed his own self-loathing and fear to put a block between him and his wife and child. Molly was the image of the perfect mother in every respect - loving, caring, selfless; but also overprotective, judgemental and pushy.

Umbridge and Bellatrix were nasty pieces of work, but that's to be expected. Not everyone in the HP universe will have a tragic backstory or conflicting traits of good and evil; some people are just completely psychotic (as in the case of Bellatrix - which you would have to be if you voluntarily worked for and adored Voldemort) and utterly devoid of empathy or emotions. You're disregarding Snape, the Malfoys, Regulus, a young Riddle, Grindelwald and all the other "bad" characters that show hidden depths.
Answering the question, I would have to say Hermione. There are not nearly enough intelligent, capable and strong-minded female characters in fiction.

And contrastingly I also love Luna. Vague, dreamy, eccentric, but with a hidden intelligence different to but just as important as Hermione's, and a very caring, understanding nature.
Original post by sr90
Elphias Doge.

This made me laugh so much. Brilliant!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Squaresquirrel
I like Luna Lovegood but my fave character is Buckbeak :biggrin:

Hehe! I like Buckbeak too! :biggrin:

I like everybody because if you took one of them away, it wouldn't be the same.
Original post by MJ1012
People who have suffered abuse are more likely to abuse people in the future.
The books, as far as I can remember, never really gave any reason to like James and plenty to dislike him, so I dislike him.

Where's the proof of that?
Fair enough, but do remember that what we mostly see of James is through Snape's pov.
Reply 71
Original post by ShadowPenn
Where's the proof of that?
Fair enough, but do remember that what we mostly see of James is through Snape's pov.

[h="4"]“While it is important to realize that not all abusers were abused as children, and that many if not most people who are abused do not go on to become abusers themselves, child abuse is most likely the single largest risk factor –biological, psychological, or sociocultural for later adult abusive behavior,” David M. Allen, M.D., Professor of Psychiatry Emeritus, University of Tennessee Health Science Center.[/h]

Fair point, however I think JK probably assumed the reader would like him "because he was harrys's father" but that wasn't enough for me.
Reply 72
My top favourites are Hermione and James Potter. :blush:

Hermione's character has had a major influence on who I am today. I sympathise with her a lot, what with her doing the best she could in a world where she wanted to belong. She's a great, strong female character who fought for what she thought was right and learnt to stand up for herself over the years. I just, I love her to death.:love:

Regarding James, I guess everyone can have their own opinions about him, but I personally think he's one of the most loyal characters in the book; becoming Animagus with the other Marauders to make it easier for Remus, taking Sirius in after he ran from home, and helping Lupin financially because he couldn't get a job. He was a dick to Snape, I won't deny that, but he was fifteen (and at that time Snape was already getting involved in the dark arts, so he wasn't exactly innocent either). From what we know, he grew out of it and Dumbledore appointed him Head Boy in his 7th year - this wouldn't have happened if James still was as immature as we saw (as someone mentioned) through Severus' POV. Besides, he didn't get Lily in the end; she chose him. She must have had her reasons. :wink: And let's not forget this: James was ready to sacrifice his life to save Lily and Harry. Snape was ready to sacrifice James and Harry to save Lily.

I don't hate Snape, in my opinion he's one of the most interesting and complex characters in the series, but if he was a real person I wouldn't have much sympathy for him to be honest. I could go on and on about this but I'm going to stop here. :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LongLazyDays
Hehe! I like Buckbeak too! :biggrin:

I like everybody because if you took one of them away, it wouldn't be the same.

Too true - I think the sheer number of characters and how hard it is to pick a favourite shows how good the books are, :smile:
Reply 75
Fred and George were always my favourite made me laugh every book
Too true - I think the sheer number of characters and how hard it is to pick a favourite shows how good the books are, :smile:

Glad you feel the same way!
Watching Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire right now! :smile:
I love McGonagall :love: I think when she stands up for students she is just spectacular :adore: 1) When Umbridge is in her office during Harry's consultation about becoming an auror and she tells Umbridge that she personally will make sure that Harry makes it as an Auror. 2) When Neville is trying to figure out classes (HBP) and his gran says that "Charms is a soft option" and she tells him that his gran failed her Charms O.W.L. and 3) when she is in Ravenclaw tower and tells Amycus "Harry Potter belongs in MY house". She ROCKS :rock:
Original post by LongLazyDays
Glad you feel the same way!
Watching Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire right now! :smile:

I watched that too haha. Ron really annoyed me in that film. It's one of my favourite books but one of the worst films :s-smilie: (Still a good film though haha)
I watched that too haha. Ron really annoyed me in that film. It's one of my favourite books but one of the worst films :s-smilie: (Still a good film though haha)

I realised that all of main characters (Harry, Ron and Neville to name some) had long hair in that film! :smile:

Yeah, it was a good film but I wished they showed Harry winning the Tri- Wizard tournament money... Ah well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending