The Student Room Group

is this e-mail formal enough for the university of cambrudge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Picnic1
You'll never know nor care how nice a person I can be because you'd never get close enough to my trust to find out.

Is it REALLY mean of me to point out the errors in a Cambridge hopeful's post? No. There are 7 billion people in this world and only a small percentage end up studying at the University of Cambridge. In an ideal world, law applicants in particular should be stunning examples of verbal dexterity. I realise that it's not an ideal world and that plodding dullhards who don't have a great grasp of English end up at the University of Cambridge as well. But it's not my business to encourage them and I would hope it wouldn't be the University of Cambridge's.

If you think that it is somehow more fair to encourage people who admit that they don't even have a good grasp of grammar to study law at Cambridge then I suggest that you are more likely to be one of the following:

1) an ex , current or prospective student who got in a similarly highly regarded course at university and who also doesn't have full confidence in their grammar.

2) someone who has nothing in common with top universities and 'hard to get in to' subjects.

Why do you propose that I should be particularly soft on international students who take up places that could rightly go to top scoring British or American students who might have a far greater grasp of the intrinsic tool that a law course in the UK relies upon- command of the English language?

I'm sorry, I didn't want to give the impression that you are a mean person, I just think that you were a little vitriolic in your corrections. I should have made my language more nuanced so that it indicated contempt at the action, not at the person. :redface:

Cambridge aren't interested in a candidate's grammar, they care about, and I quote, "ability to think critically and independently...willingness to argue logically but to keep an open mind to new ideas as well...self-discipline, motivation and commitment, and the desire and potential to go beyond what you've learned so far."

Cambridge have EAP classes for students who aren't native speakers to improve their English and academic skills. The very existence of these prove that an extensive knowledge of the English language isn't vital.

What does it matter who I am? Equally, what does it matter which students Cambridge selects as long as they are academically capable? Yes, an American or an English student might have a better grasp of the English language than the OP, but it doesn't mean that they're Cambridge material with reference to the excerpt above. I detect xenophobia.
(edited 9 years ago)
All you're doing is asking a question, not a person statement.
Oh well then I don't care for the University of Cambridge these days (although its architecture is very fine).

But I argue that a student can't argue to the fullness that logic COULD allow if they don't understand the logic of the English language. if they ever end up representing someone in court, they could partly be relying on the cuddliness of their accent to get them by!
Original post by Old_Simon
Effective and accurate critique is now "mean". ?????

I do regret being rude, and I have apologised to Picnic1, but even so:

"You can't even spell Cambridge..."
"Your spelling is a shambles"
"If you get in Cambridge partly thanks to our help then it proves that there is no God"

Surely you can see that it's aggressive? Effective and accurate critique would have been solely making grammatical amendments to the OP's post (like they requested), not shaking the little confidence that they have of their grasp of the English language.

Picnic1 was also insinuating that the OP owes it to us if he is accepted into Cambridge. How do a couple of changes to a query e-mail, mean that the OP is then able to get into Cambridge? He shouldn't feel obliged..
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Picnic1
Oh well then I don't care for the University of Cambridge these days (although its architecture is very fine).

But I argue that a student can't argue to the fullness that logic COULD allow if they don't understand the logic of the English language. if they ever end up representing someone in court, they could partly be relying on the cuddliness of their accent to get them by!

But how is logic in any way constrained to the English language? (does the English language even follow logic with all of its idiosyncrasies!?) Even in broken English, a person can still communicate a very effective point.
Original post by TurboCretin
I can see others are pitching in with corrections. On a separate note, you should probably include the degree you are considering. Are you asking about their undergraduate degree in law? This is called a 'BA in Jurisprudence'.

Also, you should be aware that a law degree at an English university will require very good English, especially Cambridge. If you feel your grammar could be better, it might be worth putting some time in now to improve your writing.

I am aware that the university of cambridge is very selective, that's why I am considering the university preparation year with EF school, thanks for the advice
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by EatAndRevise
Dear Sir/Madam,
This is a request for more information about your entrance requirements for the Law Department of the University of Cambridge. I am an Algerian student about to undertake my final exam of high school (Baccaulaureate exam). I am taking the Algerian Baccaulaureate and am hoping to take a foundation year, thus allowing me to study at a British university. I would like to know if I can apply to study in the Cambridge University, and if so, what grades am I expected to obtain in order to have a competitive application?

Thank you in advance for your attention to my request, I look forward to receiving your response.

Yours sincerely,

this seems perfect, thanks a lot
Original post by semperaslan
Camb-Cambrudge :rofl2:

No but really, you need to fix the English in that letter, it's awfully written. You need proper sentences and to sort out your spelling.

you're probably right but I've already booked for a preparation year (english only)
I just want to say that english is my forth laguage after arabic french and spanish,
I hope you guys can understand the difficulty of learning a foreign language,
thanks for your advice though
Original post by Picnic1
You can't even spell 'Cambridge' correctly in your topic post. You said 'you entrance requirement' instead of 'your entrance requirements'. You accidentally dissed them by not capitalising. (you should have said University of Cambridge, not 'university of Cambridge' - you could be talking about any university in Cambridge e.g. Anglia Ruskin with the latter).

'baccaulaureate' is a slight misspelling - it should be 'Baccalaureate'.

You put 'british univerisity' instead of 'British university'.

'algerian' should have been capitalised as 'Algerian'.

It's not 'the Cambridge university', it's 'Cambridge University' (or more usually for the last 20 years or so, the University of Cambridge').

'thank you' should be capitalised as 'Thank you' instead.

'sincerly' should be 'sincerely'.

Your spelling is a shambles. If you get in Cambridge partly thanks to our help then it proves that there is no God.

okay as I was always taught to see the positive side of everything I will just thank you for all those corrections, they were very useful
and I want to add that I am aiming to undertake a preparation year to improve my english
Good evening = )
Reply 29
Original post by mariakrelifa
okay as I was always taught to see the positive side of everything I will just thank you for all those corrections, they were very useful
and I want to add that I am aiming to undertake a preparation year to improve my english
Good evening = )

Also, make sure you don't put smiley faces in by accident. I may have done that (more than once) in emails to Universities. :colondollar:
Original post by Old_Simon
I am tempted to say if a candidate can not compose a forum post in coherent English they may struggle studying Law at Cambrudge (sic).

that's why I have booked for a university preparation year (english only) and the application is for 2015 not 2014
thank you for replying to my post
and good evening
Original post by Jess_x
Here's my best shot, OP :smile::

Subject: Undergraduate application to Law at Cambridge

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am currently an Algerian student in the process of taking my final Baccalaureate exams in my last year of high school. I am considering making an application to the University of Cambridge's faculty of Law for a BA degree and I would be very grateful if you could inform me what grades I will need to attain in these examinations in order to make my application competitive.
Thank you in advance for the time taken to answer this query.

Yours Sincerely,

{name}

peeeeeeeeerfect, can you please tell me where I could add the 'preparation year' part? =)
you're probably right but I've already booked for a preparation year (english only)
I just want to say that english is my forth laguage after arabic french and spanish,
I hope you guys can understand the difficulty of learning a foreign language,
thanks for your advice though

Don't let the negative comments get you down. With hard work you can definitely get your English up to par for the course you want to do.

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by fizzers
Haha I know, I wasn't being all that serious. :smile: He might still want to look out for it though, I can't imagine anything worse than spelling the name of the uni I want to go to wrong

I didn't check the post before publishing it, don't worry I do know how to spell Cambridge correcty
Original post by ClickItBack
Don't let the negative comments get you down. With hard work you can definitely get your English up to par for the course you want to do.

Good luck! :smile:

thaks for the support :smile:
but don't worry, this is having the opposite result, I've never been that motivated :wink:
I didn't check the post before publishing it, don't worry I do know how to spell Cambridge correcty

It's fine, I make that mistake all the time myself!! It's good that you're taking a preparation course and really though, your English isn't even that bad. I know people at top universities in England with way worse English (they're from china- surprise, surprise) haha. All the best!
Original post by Blackacre
Not at Cambridge - it's a "BA Law". I suspect you're thinking of Oxford. :wink:

Oops
this seems perfect, thanks a lot

Also, it should be 'Yours faithfully' at the end, not 'Yours sincerely'. I'm surprised nobody else pointed that out.
Original post by Picnic1

once again, this application is not for 2014 but for 2015, I am planning to undertake a preparation year in England (english only) so I think that in 2015 the languange won't be a barrier for me, thanks for your arswer
good night :smile:
I wondered if we could circumvent the whole faff and only find info on the website. That I can find, Cambridge gives no country-specific information from Algeria. But Oxford says this:

Algeria: School leaving qualifications would not be sufficient for candidates to make a competitive application (see note).

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/international-students/international-qualifications

the hyperlink to the note carrries you to the suggestion that you do A-levels, IB, Pre-U etc.

If you have money enough to spend a year in the UK studying English prior to your degree, I suggest that you instead invest that time and money in doing three A-levels at a crammer and seek an offer predicated on results in these, perhaps explaining as well that you were in the 97th percentile or whatitis of Algerian school-leavers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending