The Student Room Group

Adaptations of organisms to their environment- AS Biology

We've been asked to write a 600 word academic report that satisfies

"Outline the behavioural, physiological and anatomical adaptations of organisms to their environments"

I wrote an introduction and then began with Behavioural adaptations, I'm using Humans as my example (We were advised to pick a species and look at how they've adapted over a long period of time to their environment, so I figured the most known one would be Humans) and I've spoke about increasing brain size and what that means for us, and I'm not sure if that should be under Behavioural or Physiological?

I mean, it's definitely physiological but it directly influences behavioural, in the sense that an increase in brain size has allowed for cognitive function and logical thinking and so on; should I change this paragraph to Physiological and then find another example for Behavioural adaptations, or just keep it as behavioural and move on?
Original post by Eskyy
We've been asked to write a 600 word academic report that satisfies

"Outline the behavioural, physiological and anatomical adaptations of organisms to their environments"

I wrote an introduction and then began with Behavioural adaptations, I'm using Humans as my example (We were advised to pick a species and look at how they've adapted over a long period of time to their environment, so I figured the most known one would be Humans) and I've spoke about increasing brain size and what that means for us, and I'm not sure if that should be under Behavioural or Physiological?

I mean, it's definitely physiological but it directly influences behavioural, in the sense that an increase in brain size has allowed for cognitive function and logical thinking and so on; should I change this paragraph to Physiological and then find another example for Behavioural adaptations, or just keep it as behavioural and move on?

The evolution of a larger brain in humans, as I take it, is a physiological adaptation with behavioural consequences. In that light, its evolution with increase in size indicates a physiological adaptation to process more information, and compute results, as well as to control various actions of the body. This might have led to behavioural consequences like organization of cultures etc.

So I would include a larger brain size as a physiological adaptation. You can use a different example for behavioural adaptation, like the absence of brachiating ability, and erect posture. Also, there are other behavioural adaptations as well.

:smile:
Reply 2
Pompeii worms

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending