Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website

Accommodation concern but also a friendly hello

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE="Moni25;47629058"]
Original post by Sam Light
Hi. I'm also a new masters student starting in September. How is the accommodation search going? I think I am deciding between Saul House or St Marks House as they are the postgrad halls but I'm not sure which to go for. So confusing!

Hello there = ) hope your weekend goes well. As for the accommodation i finally signed up the other day. Trust me it was no easy task, but narrowed down my 6 choices. I ended up picking St Marks for either 2 room or 3. It seemed close enough to the campus to walk and Saul house was way out of my budget, but that was literally my 5th or 6th choice. So hoping my lag on decision making pays off. now its just a matter of waiting. Coming from afar? or a bit closer?

I'm from Bath in the southwest of England so not too far! Accommodation is kind of stressing me as I need to bring my car and it doesn't look like many of the halls have parking. Neither St Marks or Saul House have parking but I'm concerned that if I go into any of the other halls that I will be put with all freshers. I don't mean any offence to them but I don't want to be the 'old' one!
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website
Reply 21
Hi! I'm thinking of Lincoln in September for a MSc in Forensic Psychology, I'm stressed about finding accommodation! Do you know if St Marks and Saul House are the only postgrad halls? I don't want to put any of the other halls down if there isn't a postgrad bit- I agree, nothing against freshers, but they will think of me as a dinosaur if I'm sharing with them!
Reply 22
@Cessles: From the research i did pretty much Saul is dedicated to Post Grads. St marks is mixed from what i was told. but those seemed to have been the better options. St Marks was my #1 choice more for location and Park Courts i think but i chose Saul last as it was a bit out of my budget. But i understand about only having Freshers around but doesn't seem like there is a guarantee of what your roommates will be unless you choose only Saul. Best of luck. = )

@Sam Light: Oh very nice. I hadn't had the pleasure of visiting Bath while in England in 09 but maybe once there it will happen. As for the car, it does seem like most locations are limited on car parking spaces. But if a car is needed then i'm sure something will work out for you. I'm supposed to have a car for my 2nd year to do home visits and such for my courses so not sure that will pan out ahhahah we shall see. As for the freshers thing i totally get it. I doubt they would want and "oldie" in their flat, i'm not there to baby sit no one! hahahhaa
Recent posts re PG accommodation.
If you choose an alternative to St marks or Saul House. When you get your allocation you can ask for option with other mature applicants,

Problem can be if they don't hold back space for Pg older applicants. This would lead for a bit of risk if they didn't have such rooms and Saul or St. marks were full.

Saul house is dedicated to Pg Mature.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cessles
Hi! I'm thinking of Lincoln in September for a MSc in Forensic Psychology, I'm stressed about finding accommodation! Do you know if St Marks and Saul House are the only postgrad halls? I don't want to put any of the other halls down if there isn't a postgrad bit- I agree, nothing against freshers, but they will think of me as a dinosaur if I'm sharing with them!

Hi. I hope you have sorted out your accommodation. It is so stressful to arrange! I swear it was easier when I was an undergrad.

Original post by Moni25
@Cessles: From the research i did pretty much Saul is dedicated to Post Grads. St marks is mixed from what i was told. but those seemed to have been the better options. St Marks was my #1 choice more for location and Park Courts i think but i chose Saul last as it was a bit out of my budget. But i understand about only having Freshers around but doesn't seem like there is a guarantee of what your roommates will be unless you choose only Saul. Best of luck. = )

@Sam Light: Oh very nice. I hadn't had the pleasure of visiting Bath while in England in 09 but maybe once there it will happen. As for the car, it does seem like most locations are limited on car parking spaces. But if a car is needed then i'm sure something will work out for you. I'm supposed to have a car for my 2nd year to do home visits and such for my courses so not sure that will pan out ahhahah we shall see. As for the freshers thing i totally get it. I doubt they would want and "oldie" in their flat, i'm not there to baby sit no one! hahahhaa

Hopefully you will be able to visit Bath when you are in the UK again. It is worth visiting. I've decided that I am going to apply for St Marks as there is a car park down the road that has a parking scheme that I should be able to use. It seems to be postgrad friendly even if it is mixed.
Reply 25
Original post by accomguru
Recent posts re PG accommodation.
If you choose an alternative to St marks or Saul House. When you get your allocation you can ask for option with other mature applicants,

Problem can be if they don't hold back space for Pg older applicants. This would lead for a bit of risk if they didn't have such rooms and Saul or St. marks were full.

Saul house is dedicated to Pg Mature.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How mature? I don't think I'd count as a mature student, I took a gap year- but otherwise I'm standard age to be starting a master's! Thanks for the advice! How'd you get to be so clued up on all this stuff?
Reply 26
Original post by Moni25

Good luck to you too! I put St Marks down first- couldn't believe how much cheaper it was to say I'd share a bathroom than go for en-suite! It doesn't bother me too much not having my own, I shared for all three years of undergrad, I can do it again! Especially when it saves a lot! Do you know when we'll hear back from them? It says the application is waiting to be confirmed or verified or whatever, but my offer is unconditional so I wasn't sure if that would make a difference, or if they'd do it all after results etc- perks of a year out there!
Reply 27
Original post by Cessles
Good luck to you too! I put St Marks down first- couldn't believe how much cheaper it was to say I'd share a bathroom than go for en-suite! It doesn't bother me too much not having my own, I shared for all three years of undergrad, I can do it again! Especially when it saves a lot! Do you know when we'll hear back from them? It says the application is waiting to be confirmed or verified or whatever, but my offer is unconditional so I wasn't sure if that would make a difference, or if they'd do it all after results etc- perks of a year out there!

Its sounding like St Marks is becoming a better option. And i agree with you on the pricing difference from en-suite to sharing. I had roomies for a long time so to share with 1-3 ppl i'm okay with that. As for hearing back from Accommodation, I was just told by August i'd hear a result. I also have an unconditional offer so figured its just fine. but in my instance i have to jump thru financial aid and student visa hoops first before accommodation kicks in. pretty much from those i have chatted on this site all have stated St Marks as first options, would be funny if we all ended up on same floor/flat. :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by Moni25
Its sounding like St Marks is becoming a better option. And i agree with you on the pricing difference from en-suite to sharing. I had roomies for a long time so to share with 1-3 ppl i'm okay with that. As for hearing back from Accommodation, I was just told by August i'd hear a result. I also have an unconditional offer so figured its just fine. but in my instance i have to jump thru financial aid and student visa hoops first before accommodation kicks in. pretty much from those i have chatted on this site all have stated St Marks as first options, would be funny if we all ended up on same floor/flat. :smile:

Ha yeah it would- we'll just have to keep each other posted! I'm pretty nervous about suddenly having to move- I was on a course that was near my home, which very suddenly got cancelled so I'm still adjusting to moving away, when I've been thinking for months I'd stay put! Looking forward to it though, but I'd like to know where I'm living and have everything in place so I can relax!
Hi!, I'm hoping to do Journalism at Lincoln too. Yeah, I was wondering about the accommodation... When I saw it on the open day, it looked nice enough, when compared to some other places I've seen, which I wont mention in case I upset or offend anyone who's going or is there. But yeah, one thing I wasn't sure of is whether or not you can re-decorate your room within reason, I'm talking like new curtains or chairs, etc. I don't know, I just thought I'd ask to see if anyone else knew.
Hi changing things is your room is usually ok as long as you make sure the accommodation manager of where you will live knows. Just make arrangements for them to remove the items and you should be ok. Painting walls is usually a no go area.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Hi everyone, what accommodation have you been given? I got Saul House- I was hoping for St Marks which was a bit more budget-friendly, but I'm excited about how new it all is! I think I'll only be the 2nd person to ever live in my room which, considering my undergrad halls have since been demolished owing to how old they were, will be a bit of treat!
Hi,
I'm going to be moving to Lincoln for my first year, and I've been allotted St Marks, I didn't realise it was a post grad accomodation, do you think it makes much of a difference?
Thanks
St marks is not Pg Accom only. Mixed years in there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cessles
Hi everyone, what accommodation have you been given? I got Saul House- I was hoping for St Marks which was a bit more budget-friendly, but I'm excited about how new it all is! I think I'll only be the 2nd person to ever live in my room which, considering my undergrad halls have since been demolished owing to how old they were, will be a bit of treat!

Hey! I got Saul House as well :biggrin: it will be so nice to have my own bathroom and indeed, it's all so new! When will you be moving in? I'm currently living in The Netherlands, so I'm really excited for the big move!
Reply 35
Original post by DanielleNL
Hey! I got Saul House as well :biggrin: it will be so nice to have my own bathroom and indeed, it's all so new! When will you be moving in? I'm currently living in The Netherlands, so I'm really excited for the big move!

I think it'll be the 13/14th, I'm waiting for them to tell us when we can get there! Do you have any idea when they'll give us room/flat numbers etc? I want to get planning, I'm getting excited now!
Reply 36
I got into Saul house too. was hoping for St Marks for the variety but oh well now. I am just waiting to find out the address as my parents are already asking for it to mail me care packages later on. Do we find that out soon?

guess if we ever need to borrow a cup of sugar or milk we can mosey on over to your doors. = ) i am arriving to Lincoln 9/11 so hoping i should be moving in that same day to Saul House. its amazing how time flies! 2 wks to go and i will be there. its getting pretty hard to say goodbye to my lovely San Francisco! but bigger and better things to come right?!
The general address pops up if you type Saul House into Google Maps, but the room numbers are still a secret I guess... I'm arriving on the 12th and want to move in that day, but I saw on the accommodation website that you rent the room from 9 September onwards, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Only 2 weeks left.... Man, it's all going so fast. But indeed, if you ever need anything just knock on my door! :biggrin:
Reply 38
I will be there 9/11 so hoping i make it in time to hit up some shops for bedding supplies or else that will be an interesting night hahahaha.... hope to meet you all soon. Im assuming we will find out our room numbers right before we arrive or day off when we check in. Regardless I am just happy housing is set. Now on to budgeting for food, fun, traveling, etc.
Reply 39
I'm getting excited now guys! I've just finished my temp job today, I've realised how much stuff I've got to do/pack before we arrive, it's all getting real! I think I'm gonna email them on Monday just asking about room numbers etc, can't hurt! I know they said they were going to send us details of what to bring and all that soon, has anyone received anything? I want to know silly things like what cleaning supplies to bring and how much loo roll!

Quick Reply

Latest