The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Joking about bullying isn't funny:frown:This is coming from someone who was bullied at school btw.

Anyhoo,oooh I've filled in all my forms from college....writing on them 96 million times that I must not share with a smoker...hmm...

My passport photos are bloody sexy,got them done on Friday when I wasat the train station.Why do they need 8 photos?Why 8?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 61
One for meal card.
One for sports card.
Six for the ones they loose.
Ah,yes.Maybe they use them as some form of student dartboard...if they hate you,your pic goes up!
Reply 63
in addition to those mentioned alredy, one for you college record, one for the board in plodge, one for your department

also I think our jcr pres had them all as she knew all our names before we arrived which was quite scary
Talking of sports cards:
DON'T BUY ONE
They get you absolutely nothing, and just subsidise the jocks that do sport for the university. If you want to use any sporting facilities/clubs you have to pay separately and independently of the card.
Even if you do you need one, you can buy one when you get to uni. I don't know ANYONE who has used anything it provides (if, in fact, it provides anything).
Reply 65
Mattmoy_2000
Talking of sports cards:
DON'T BUY ONE
They get you absolutely nothing, and just subsidise the jocks that do sport for the university. If you want to use any sporting facilities/clubs you have to pay separately and independently of the card.
Even if you do you need one, you can buy one when you get to uni. I don't know ANYONE who has used anything it provides (if, in fact, it provides anything).
if you do sport you do need one even if you dont have to show it, it makes sure you are insured properly if you damage yourself
Reply 66
We need to show it for gym access.
Which you have to pay extra for.
I was reading about the Sports charge...£120 seems....a lot?Especially as a lot of students probably won't play that much sport?
Reply 69
Mildert gym
College gyms are funded from college funds, you should merely have to be a member of the JCR (or whatever) to use it. Sports cards get you access to the stuff over at Maiden Castle.
Reply 71
Hmm you sure?
I see the logic, but we had to show one anyway, maybe for insurance?
No idea.
pretty.
I'd still advocate not buying one, I mean, they're not gonna turn down money later on are they?
They've also risen in price by almost 60% in 2 years, as I paid £75 for mine in 04/05
Reply 73
Yeh I mean they sort of are a waste of money, I played hockey and didnt really need one, only needed it for the mildert gym, so i dunno.
Reply 74
Yes but MIldert Hockey lost to Marys men...
Reply 75
Really?
We were doing quite well though I thought....
I gave it up as I wasnt good enough and couldn't play on Saturday matches due to the immensity of Hill Walking.
Reply 76
Mattmoy_2000

They've also risen in price by almost 60% in 2 years, as I paid £75 for mine in 04/05

Thats how much they were in 05/06 as well, they've risen in price a lot
Reply 77
Hey, going back to thread topic again…

Arrived in the car with my parents to loud DJ music that they were playing in the turning circle, as referred to by Rob (when I arrived it was some dance track but it got better later…). So the atmosphere was already pretty buzzy, what with there being so many reps all willing to talk to you. I felt verrry hyped up in a nervous way. I remember saying hi to Andy Tickner, who's president of Collingwood this year, cause I'd been asking him questions on msn. In fact, when I introduced myself to people a few of them asked if I was 'olivia on the forums' which was a bit strange. I did post a ridiculous amount on the collingwood ones, cause I was so bored in the summer.

After unpacking, getting lunch, and saying goodbye to my parents, I met my floormates. They were all friendly, and we sat around drinking wine in one of the girls' rooms and asking generic questions of eachother– subjects, where are you from etc. More people kept coming in because everyone was interested in getting to know eachother, so it got a bit airless in there after a while– the smell of nervousness and alcohol, hmmm! Met Matt, who I'd talked to on msn a bit, and who was living on the same staircase. Can't remember if I met Robbie on the first night, maybe was the second… it was before we were taken to walkabout by the reps. Actually I think the first night was a bop in college, in which case I met Sarah, another one of my housemates, who was lovely from the beginning. You get acquainted with lots of people in the first week, but it takes a while to get close to people. In the beginning, most people clump together with their neighbours, who are the first people they meet. In some cases this endures all year.
I found that some people I met in the first week I ended up barely speaking to (not out of animosity, just how things turned out). Others became my closest friends, and others somewhere in between, but i'm probably stating the obvious. :smile:
First day is always going to be a bit intimidating, and how you deal with it depends on the type of person you are, but I didn't mind being thrown into the mix. Everyone was friendly. I definitely felt on a limb, but I didn't dislike it.

There's no need to try to be anything you're not, because there are enough people of all types that you will find friends.
Reply 78
Just to add, Olivia smells and has done so ever since I first met her.

Latest