The Student Room Group

OCR AS Salters May 23rd Exam Thread 2014

Scroll to see replies

I am doing this paper tomorrow as well as the F332 and both A2 papers. I don't think tomorrows paper will be too bad providing it doesn't vary from much from previous years, It seemed the physics one on tuesday which i took was a little different from expected but even then it wasn't horrendous! Last minute advice which i'm sure you know already, DO THE PAST PAPERS! Having done them all, and now working through them again, the similarities are so obvious. The same 2,3, or even 4 mark questions come up constantly so be sure to know the answers from the markschemes! Good luck to everyone tomorrow!
Reply 21
Any prediction guys ?
Original post by 7jdrabble
I am doing this paper tomorrow as well as the F332 and both A2 papers. I don't think tomorrows paper will be too bad providing it doesn't vary from much from previous years, It seemed the physics one on tuesday which i took was a little different from expected but even then it wasn't horrendous! Last minute advice which i'm sure you know already, DO THE PAST PAPERS! Having done them all, and now working through them again, the similarities are so obvious. The same 2,3, or even 4 mark questions come up constantly so be sure to know the answers from the markschemes! Good luck to everyone tomorrow!

I would hope that you are joking with this one right! :eek:

However this right here is a very good point, I would advise on doing this also
Reply 23
Anyone have links to the June 2013 and Jan 2014 papers for F331? They aren't on the OCR website yet.
Reply 24
Original post by Shezbok
Anyone have links to the June 2013 and Jan 2014 papers for F331? They aren't on the OCR website yet.

January exams have been removed starting September 2013.
What's nuclear fission, I don't remember doing this at all? Is it just where radioactive isotopes break down releasing radiation?
Original post by 7jdrabble

Have you done the past papers before 2009?
Original post by BrokenS0ulz
What's nuclear fission, I don't remember doing this at all? Is it just where radioactive isotopes break down releasing radiation?

I don't think we have to know that. Just nuclear fusion.
Original post by EggsterminateMe
I don't think we have to know that. Just nuclear fusion.

Oh ok!

You seem smart so could you give me bullet point answers to these? :smile:

Benefits and risks of alternative fuels: "nuclear"
and what are the benefits and risks of fossil fuels?
Oh ok!

You seem smart so could you give me bullet point answers to these? :smile:

Benefits and risks of alternative fuels: "nuclear"
and what are the benefits and risks of fossil fuels?

I want to laugh at you for calling me smart.

Advantages of nuclear fuel:
Does not produce carbon dioxide or other kinds of air pollution
Disadvantages: radioactive waste produced, public fear of possibility of a nuclear disaster
Advantage of fossil fuels:
Abundance of them
Disadvantages: burning fuels produces sulfur dioxide which leads to acid rain.
Unburnt hydrocarbons and oxides of NOx contribute to smog
Reply 30
Hi, I'm taking this exam too! ^_^ I would suggest revising reforming/isomerisation/cracking since that comes up quite a bit.
Original post by EggsterminateMe
I want to laugh at you for calling me smart.

Advantages of nuclear fuel:
Does not produce carbon dioxide or other kinds of air pollution
Disadvantages: radioactive waste produced, public fear of possibility of a nuclear disaster
Advantage of fossil fuels:
Abundance of them
Disadvantages: burning fuels produces sulfur dioxide which leads to acid rain.
Unburnt hydrocarbons and oxides of NOx contribute to smog

Thankyou very much :smile:!
What do we say for the source of unburnt hydrocarbons? Incomplete combustion of hydrocarbons?
Final question is do we just have to know that oxygenates increase the octane rating and therefore decrease chance of auto ignition and engine damage?
Can someone explain to me thermal decomposition/stability?
And why it increases down the group? I really don't get it.
What do we say for the source of unburnt hydrocarbons? Incomplete combustion of hydrocarbons?
Final question is do we just have to know that oxygenates increase the octane rating and therefore decrease chance of auto ignition and engine damage?

The source of unburnt fuel is just unburnt hydrocarbon
And yes, you do! Good luck :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by chococup123
Can someone explain to me thermal decomposition/stability?
And why it increases down the group? I really don't get it.

Yes. This part is a little weird to explain.

Basically, thermal stability refers how stable the (group 2 elements in this context) are when heated. If they are more stable they will require more heat to undergo thermal decomposition

Why it increases down the group: carbonate ions (CO3-) can be distorted in the presence of a positively charged ion (e.g Mg2+). As we go down the group, there is less distortion (because larger atoms have a smaller charge density) which leads to a higher thermal stability.

incomplete combustion of hydrocarbons would be the answer to how carbon monoxide forms.

Unburnt hydrocarbons is unburnt hydrocarbons I would say
Reply 36

Unburnt hydrocarbons are just hydrocarbons that didn't combust in the engine of a car and escape into the atmosphere.

Oxygenates increase the chance of complete combustion since there's a larger percentage composition of oxygen. Yes I think it might be useful to know that it increases octane rating.
What causes incomplete combustion?
I have done all the past papers from 2013 to 2004 and it seems like the following seem to repetitively come up:

1. Formation of nitrogen monoxide in a car engine. (Very easy when you know what they want)
2. Model of how a heterogeneous catalyst works (sometimes along with a definition of both heterogenous and catalyst)
3. Always an easy question on numbers of protons, neutrons and electrons
4. Atomic emission and atomic absorption spectra
5. Octane number
6. Hydrocarbons (and everything about them - revise these well).

Other than that, the things that come up are not "common" questions.

I really do hope that OCR don't do the same thing with this exam as they did with the Physics on Tuesday - it just gives false hope
Original post by Sycopation
What causes incomplete combustion?

when there's not a sufficient amount of oxygen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending