The Student Room Group

OCR AS Salters May 23rd Exam Thread 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BrokenS0ulz
Reforming says aromatic because it can create arenes too. Remember the byproduct is hydrogen!
For cracking I've only ever heard of it creating shorter chain alkanes and alkenes, but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks! :smile:
I thought that hydrogen was used in reforming to suppress the formation of carbon?
Reply 61
Original post by tealover96
Thanks! :smile:
I thought that hydrogen was used in reforming to suppress the formation of carbon?

Hydrogen is a product of reforming
It's +H2 for cycloalkanes and +3H2 for arenes

I've seen that on a past paper somewhere too
Original post by BI0
Hydrogen is a product of reforming
It's +H2 for cycloalkanes and +3H2 for arenes

I've seen that on a past paper somewhere too

ahh right thanks!
Reply 63
Looking forward to this one tomorrow (unless it's like Tuesday's wordy Physics paper), then it's full steam ahead with Unit 2 revision!

Best of luck all
Original post by BI0
That ones a bit different but do-able

1) We have 60cm^3 of gaseous isooctane (which is 0.06dm^3). First work out the number of moles 0.06/24 (1 mol of a gas occupies 24dm^3) = 0.0025
2) We know that 12.5moles of oxygen reacts with 1 mol of isooctane so mol O = 0.0025 x 12.5 = 0.03125
3) We have 0.03125 moles of oxygen which is 0.03125 x 24 = 0.75dm^3 of oxygen
4) Oxygen makes up 21% of air so 0.75/0.21=3.57dm^3

Mark schemes are really cryptic (especially OCR B :closedeyes:) so it's usually hard to work out whats going on

Thank you so much!
Original post by Petick
Looking forward to this one tomorrow (unless it's like Tuesday's wordy Physics paper), then it's full steam ahead with Unit 2 revision!

Best of luck all

Yep, you too! :smile: Lets just hope, the questions don't sound too odd.
I am just wondering, is it alright to call energy levels in atomic emission/absorption as 'energy states'? I mean they're the same thing but would they be picky? this is for f331 btw.
Reply 67
Original post by EggsterminateMe
Yep, you too! :smile: Lets just hope, the questions don't sound too odd.

Thanks!

If I open the paper and it starts with 'estimate the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow'. I might just have to walk out.:rolleyes:[h="1"]
Original post by Petick
Thanks!

If I open the paper and it starts with 'estimate the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow'. I might just have to walk out.:rolleyes:

I'm guessing you guys on OCR B? I did the OCR A one and there was a similar response, the paper was really odd, we had a question about a chicken dinosaur related to the ostrich or something.
Original post by Petick
Thanks!

If I open the paper and it starts with 'estimate the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow'. I might just have to walk out.:rolleyes:

Hahaha! That's when I'll bang my head a few times and storm out of the exam hall!
I just hope a lot of questions on fuels come up since I've been practicing a lot of it.
Original post by minibuttons
I am just wondering, is it alright to call energy levels in atomic emission/absorption as 'energy states'? I mean they're the same thing but would they be picky? this is for f331 btw.

I think the do accept states, but just to be on the safe side, I'd put levels.
Reply 71
I'm guessing you guys on OCR B? I did the OCR A one and there was a similar response, the paper was really odd, we had a question about a chicken dinosaur related to the ostrich or something.

OCR A for Physics, my head really did hit the desk when I thought I was in a Biology exam after reading the context of the question!
I think the do accept states, but just to be on the safe side, I'd put levels.

Okie dokie :smile: Thank you. Also do we need to know anything on Newlands and Dobereiner? Or is it just on Mendeleev?
Did it last year scraped an A with 72/90 UMS retaking tomorrow hoping for a few extra points to make getting an A overall easier. Hardest thing about the exam is hitting all the marks with the longer answers sometimes the mark scheme is incredibly picky!
Okie dokie :smile: Thank you. Also do we need to know anything on Newlands and Dobereiner? Or is it just on Mendeleev?

I think in the 2009 jun/jan paper they asked about Newlands but they gave you the information and you just compare his periodic table with Mendleev. But I'm sure it's just Mendeleev since the question was testing what you know about Mendeleev and periodic table.
I think in the 2009 jun/jan paper they asked about Newlands but they gave you the information and you just compare his periodic table with Mendleev. But I'm sure it's just Mendeleev since the question was testing what you know about Mendeleev and periodic table.

Thank you once again. I am quite anxious about tomorrow but I hope it's going to be a nice paper like some of the past papers that I've tried out. Best of luck for tomorrow :smile:
Original post by nivrap402
Did it last year scraped an A with 72/90 UMS retaking tomorrow hoping for a few extra points to make getting an A overall easier. Hardest thing about the exam is hitting all the marks with the longer answers sometimes the mark scheme is incredibly picky!

not sometimes, most of the time! Well I guess not as much for F331 as it is for F335... But at least you've got an A
Thank you once again. I am quite anxious about tomorrow but I hope it's going to be a nice paper like some of the past papers that I've tried out. Best of luck for tomorrow :smile:

No Probs. Yh me too. The thing with practicing the past papers is that I'm getting A's in all of them but when it comes to the actual exam, the A seems to be running away from me/
No Probs. Yh me too. The thing with practicing the past papers is that I'm getting A's in all of them but when it comes to the actual exam, the A seems to be running away from me/

I'm getting a bit nervous, OCR seems a bit evil this year.
I'm getting a bit nervous, OCR seems a bit evil this year.

OCR has always been evil. I seriously do not know what's going to come up but I hope they don't word it in a confusing way and I hope I'm actually able to answer it.

I have a feeling Hess' law may come up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending