The Student Room Group

Civilian deaths play an important role in drone warfare

I'm not here to condone any actions of the US government or any affiliated structures, I'm merely laying out the facts.

Fear has always been terrorism's greatest weapon. It only took 3000 American deaths (which is nothing compared to what's going on in the Middle East right now) to completely reshape the world we live in.

Drone warfare uses fear in the same way. It is well known that any franchise of al-Qaeda or any other terrorist organisation relies heavily on the support of their local populations. Civilian deaths that occur due to drone strikes are designed to limit the support these groups receive through the use of intimidation and a sense of impending death. Civilians are encouraged to terminate any interactions with known terrorist leaders, thus isolating the latter by robbing them of any local support they might rely upon.

Civilians are not collateral damage, they are the real targets.

Scroll to see replies

Hahahaaaa what a load of rubbish!

If you are that convinced the USA targets civilians, why don't you take it up with the UN? You won't get far.
Original post by CEKTOP
I'm not here to condone any actions of the US government or any affiliated structures, I'm merely laying out the facts.

Fear has always been terrorism's greatest weapon. It only took 3000 American deaths (which is nothing compared to what's going on in the Middle East right now) to completely reshape the world we live in.

Drone warfare uses fear in the same way. It is well known that any franchise of al-Qaeda or any other terrorist organisation relies heavily on the support of their local populations. Civilian deaths that occur due to drone strikes are designed to limit the support these groups receive through the use of intimidation and a sense of impending death. Civilians are encouraged to terminate any interactions with known terrorist leaders, thus isolating the latter by robbing them of any local support they might rely upon.

Civilians are not collateral damage, they are the real targets.

This is an interesting argument for why it might be beneficial to the war effort to target civilians, however it does nothing to prove that this targeting actually occurs.
Reply 3
I was following you up until you claimed they were the real targets. If civilians were the real target there would not be much left of Yemen, Somalia and Pakistan.
Reply 4
Utter balls..
The reason civilians keep dying to drone strikes is because the terrorists generally hide amongst the civilian populations to the point its hard to tell where the innocent start and the terrorists end.

Considering that America takes a lot of flak from the middle-east and the world in general any time civilians get caught in the crossfire, it makes no sense for the US to target them.
Reply 6
Original post by Aj12
I was following you up until you claimed they were the real targets. If civilians were the real target there would not be much left of Yemen, Somalia and Pakistan.

Not every civilian is a target, only those who actively support the extremists. The point is to isolate the latter as much as possible, given their overwhelming reliance on local populations. Civilians alone are never targeted.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
The reason civilians keep dying to drone strikes is because the terrorists generally hide amongst the civilian populations to the point its hard to tell where the innocent start and the terrorists end.

Considering that America takes a lot of flak from the middle-east and the world in general any time civilians get caught in the crossfire, it makes no sense for the US to target them.

Civilians alone are never targeted. The whole point is to establish a firm link between aiding terrorists and likely death from a drone strike.
Reply 8
Original post by the mezzil
Hahahaaaa what a load of rubbish!

If you are that convinced the USA targets civilians, why don't you take it up with the UN? You won't get far.

It's pretty hard to prove anything given the fact that most of the information relating to those killings remains classified.

How do you prove that the people the US claims are terrorists (apart from the more or less prominent ones) actually relate to al-Qaeda or any equivalent organisation?
Original post by CEKTOP
It's pretty hard to prove anything given the fact that most of the information relating to those killings remains classified.

How do you prove that the people the US claims are terrorists (apart from the more or less prominent ones) actually relate to al-Qaeda or any equivalent organisation?

More importantly, how do you prove that Al Qaeda isn't still a faction of the CIA?
Original post by CEKTOP

So going by the fact that "the information remains classified" you have rather backed up my point that you have come up with baseless accusations. Because any evidence is classified. Or do you have some sort of special access that the rest of us don't have the privilege off?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by ChampEon
More importantly, how do you prove that Al Qaeda isn't still a faction of the CIA?

They would've used it much more broadly. Plus, it was never a 'faction', merely a bunch of mercenaries whose relationship with their employer soured.
Reply 12
So going by the fact that "the information remains classified" you have rather backed up my point that you have come up with baseless accusations. Because any evidence is classified. Or do you have some sort of special access that the rest of us don't have the privilege off?

You seem to be overly protective of the US government. I don't have any evidence, only speculations.
Original post by CEKTOP
You seem to be overly protective of the US government.

& you seem to be lacking evidence.

I am not protecting the USA, I am saying you look like a muppet if you can't prove something. You have no evidence for what is frankly an absurd accusation.
Reply 14
& you seem to be lacking evidence.

I am not protecting the USA, I am saying you look like a muppet if you can't prove something. You have no evidence for what is frankly an absurd accusation.

The number of civilian deaths have steadily gone down over the last few years. Given the fact that there were no known breakthroughs in drone technology or quality of intelligence it can be assumed that drone strikes are now an effective deterrent preventing civilian cooperation with extremists.
Original post by CEKTOP
The number of civilian deaths have steadily gone down over the last few years. Given the fact that there were no known breakthroughs in drone technology or quality of intelligence it can be assumed that drone strikes are now an effective deterrent preventing civilian cooperation with extremists.

Or could it be the use of drone strike has increased because they are an effective weapon that kills many insurgents whilst risking minimal lives on our own side. Just food for thought.
Reply 16
Or could it be the use of drone strike has increased because they are an effective weapon that kills many insurgents whilst risking minimal lives on our own side. Just food for thought.

It was pretty consistent for the last few years.
Drone warfare is far more precise and prevents civilian deaths. The only alternative would be ground invasion which is a thousand times more destructive than drone warfare
Original post by CEKTOP
They would've used it much more broadly. Plus, it was never a 'faction', merely a bunch of mercenaries whose relationship with their employer soured.

Perhaps that's what they want us to believe. We can't ever truly know, can we?

Btw I hope I'm not coming across as a conspiracy theorist lol
Original post by CEKTOP

"No known breakthroughs in drone technology"???? Drones have been steadily improving.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending