The Student Room Group

Co-codamol

Does anyone know if you can get co codamol 30/500 without a prescription?
Nope. Iirc it's a prescription level pain killer unfortunately.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jm88
Does anyone know if you can get co codamol 30/500 without a prescription?

Nope, you can get co-codamol 8/500 in a pharmacy, but you can't get anything stronger without a prescription due to the potential of abuse.
8/500 Co-codamol tablets are available as a P medicine as long as the pharmacist serves you, but as So Instinct and Thegodofgod said anything stronger such as 30/500mg not without a prescription as it's a POM.

You may be able to via emergency supply but there are certain requirements under that- you need to have specific reasons as to why you can't obtain a prescription, need to have immediate need for it, need to know the usual dose and must have had it recently before. Also they will only give you enough, if they decide to go ahead with the supply, to tide you over until you obtain a prescription.
Original post by So Instinct
Nope. Iirc it's a prescription level pain killer unfortunately.

Original post by thegodofgod
Nope, you can get co-codamol 8/500 in a pharmacy, but you can't get anything stronger without a prescription due to the potential of abuse.

Original post by Green Velvet
8/500 Co-codamol tablets are available as a P medicine as long as the pharmacist serves you, but as So Instinct and Thegodofgod said anything stronger such as 30/500mg not without a prescription as it's a POM.

You may be able to via emergency supply but there are certain requirements under that- you need to have specific reasons as to why you can't obtain a prescription, need to have immediate need for it, need to know the usual dose and must have had it recently before. Also they will only give you enough, if they decide to go ahead with the supply, to tide you over until you obtain a prescription.

Pharmacy students? :tongue:

I am too :biggrin: OP these people are right you can't get that over the counter, visit your GP.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tammie123

I am too :biggrin: OP these people are right you can't get that over the counter, visit your GP.

Wooh fellow Pharmacy student checking in :wavey: I recently had my role play exams (not dispensing but counseling) where I had to learn about emergency supply so was regurgitating that :biggrin:
Nope you can't. But I have taken it once or twice, when they was no paracetamol and it didn't do me no harm
Original post by HumanCitizen
Nope you can't. But I have taken it once or twice, when they was no paracetamol and it didn't do me no harm

The issue behind it is that you're not supposed to take it for more than three consecutive days because of dependence risks. Not just because of the other side effects associated.

Yup, first year from Brighton clocking in here :biggrin:

How's your degree going, do you have exams coming up?
Original post by Green Velvet
Wooh fellow Pharmacy student checking in :wavey: I recently had my role play exams (not dispensing but counseling) where I had to learn about emergency supply so was regurgitating that :biggrin:

Well with your knowledge I'm sure you passed that exam with flying colours :wink:

Original post by thegodofgod
Yup, first year from Brighton clocking in here :biggrin:

How's your degree going, do you have exams coming up?

I'm a first year too! I'm at kings at the moment

yup I've got 4 in just over a week :afraid: so much work to do! I should probably get back to it instead of procrastinating on TSR :tongue: what about you?
Well with your knowledge I'm sure you passed that exam with flying colours :wink:

yup I've got 4 in just over a week :afraid: so much work to do! I should probably get back to it instead of procrastinating on TSR :tongue: what about you?

Taa! :h:

Wish you the best of luck too, you're gonna love the next three years :smile:

Nope just wanted to try Purple drink at one point Lol..

Yeah, I have 4 exams left too: OSCEs; exam covering lecture content from Jan - May calculations exam; and exam covering lecture content from October - May. They're all pretty spaced out, so it's good, my last exam is on the 12th June, after which I'm going to start working in a community pharmacy (independent) as a counter assistant :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest