The Student Room Group

adapting to new vectors

Why do pathogens need to adapt to new vectors? What drives the need to do this? Also, why do some pathogens only effect one type of vector example one type of fly species and not another? It is because those vectors may not be good pathogen transmitters etc.....? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 2468
Why do pathogens need to adapt to new vectors? What drives the need to do this? Also, why do some pathogens only effect one type of vector example one type of fly species and not another? It is because those vectors may not be good pathogen transmitters etc.....? :smile:

Answering your last question, some specific vectors are capable of harboring reservoirs of pathogens in a period less conducive to their survival i.e. winter. Also, some vectors have a higher chance of transmitting the pathogen than others. This is the primary reason why organisms within the same genera but belonging to different species do not have equal capacity to act as vectors for pathoges.

As to why pathogens need to adapt to vectors, it can be due to the fact that the previous vector is being wiped out or threatened due to any factor like human intervention or a natural predator. Therefore, the pathogen must adapt to a new vector. I am not really sure about this last bit, though.

:smile: I hope that helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending