The Student Room Group

Bad first sitting results affecting offers?

So I'm starting to get really worried about my grades for Higher. Judging by the exams I've sat so far I'm not going to do too well this year. So if I was to do badly this year and not reach the entry requirements, but next year get predicted all A's reaching the requirements, have a good personal statement and reference, will the fact my first sitting was bad seriously affect my chances of getting an offer?
Reply 1
Original post by stephaniebtw
So I'm starting to get really worried about my grades for Higher. Judging by the exams I've sat so far I'm not going to do too well this year. So if I was to do badly this year and not reach the entry requirements, but next year get predicted all A's reaching the requirements, have a good personal statement and reference, will the fact my first sitting was bad seriously affect my chances of getting an offer?

It depends a lot on the university. If, say, you are applying to places like Edinburgh and Glasgow they prefer people to have a consistently good academic record, so if you didn't get atleast some A's this year I doubt they would give you a conditional. Other places like Napier and Caledonian are more likely to consider you if you have high predicted grades and lower achieved grades.
You won't know anything until you apply however! Just try to work as hard as you can - you won't know until August. If you want to apply to top universities with not so good grades I would recommend taking a year out and applying with good grades you got in sixth year.

Quick Reply

Latest