The Student Room Group

BSc (Honours) Forensic Psychology - open university

Anyone studying/studied the open university's BSc (Honours) Forensic Psychology?
I've just applied for the course starting October 2014, and am struggling to find anyone else that has (admitting i was quick to give up and post instead) and am curious to see others opinions or findings for course, particularly from those already doing/done it. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey. I've also applied for this course to start in October. I was doing some research on it and came across the fact that it isn't accredited and afew people commented that it isn't worth the paper it's written on...panic set in, eeeak!!!
So now i'm unsure what the degree is worth?
Have you any idea?
I'm starting in October too :smile:
Reply 3
I thought that this degree was due to be accredited by October? It is going through the process now I believe.
I'm hoping to do it as a second module, have you seen a course taster on Future Learn? I'm in the process of doing it atm xx
Reply 5
Sorry , I start this degree in October as well, but now seeing it's not accredited slightly panicking! Seeing as psychology is the carer that I want, a non-accredited degree is unfortunately pretty pointless for me!
Do they know it will be accredited by October? Or is it only a hope , do you know? Thank you.
I'm really looking forward to this , but slightly panicking :-)
'We are seeking BPS accreditation for this degree, which is designed to deliver the requirements for the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) of the British Psychological Society (BPS). To be eligible for GBC you must achieve a 2.2 or higher for this qualification'

You could ask The BPS? I understand that It would be useless, as I made sure that the modules I'm choosing are accredited so I can hopefully carry on to be a Forensic or Clinical psychologist.
Reply 7
Thanks I'll contact them in the morning , if nothing can be guaranteed I think I'll be switching to a psychology degree, so annoyed that I missed that , but at least I haven't started yet I suppose!
I know what you mean, maybe it is better that you do Psychology then maybe do a forensic as a module in Feb? Or do your postgraduate in Forensic Psychology?
Reply 9
That's what I'm now thinking , have emailed the OU and the BPS , I really don't want to get to the end , they still to be 'seeking accreditation' and I'm not able to use it for what I would like!
Reply 10
What are you studying may I ask , have you started?
definitely not! It would just be a waste of time! How about starting next Feb and see if they've accredited it by then?
I start my BSc in psychology in October, then BSc Forensic Psychology in February! Well if my finances come through.... I'm crossing EVERYTHING!!!
Reply 13
Good luck :-) fingers crossed for you
The way it stands currently , I'm deffinetly switching the the Bs(c) honours in psychology , hopefully should be easy to do as nothing's been started yet . X
Reply 14
I'm just concerned that if I put it off , it could be pointless and if it's not accredited by February I'll just be frustrated by the time lost.
Thankyou, you too :smile: I think thats probably the best thing to do in my opinion, especially that degrees take so long to do! I've figured I could be 45 years old by the time I'm a qualified Psychologist!! Lol never too late eh?! :wink:

Where you from? xx
Reply 16
Kent , you?
Are you doing full time or part? I'm 28 and am doing part time , I had a brain brain haemorrhage and stroke when I was 19 , so didn't get to do the courses that I wanted as was in hospital for a while . I still have mobility and some problems because of it , but I really want to get on the path now :-)
Reply 17
Never to late though :-)
Original post by Kloud86
Kent , you?
Are you doing full time or part? I'm 28 and am doing part time , I had a brain brain haemorrhage and stroke when I was 19 , so didn't get to do the courses that I wanted as was in hospital for a while . I still have mobility and some problems because of it , but I really want to get on the path now :-)

I'm actually torn between FT and PT 2bh... my little girl is 19 months, and I've got about 2 days left before I have to decide! Lol I'm in North Wales hun :smile:

Wow that must hace been hard for you, but it's fantastic that your getting back on track now. And what better way than to complete a degree :wink: xx
Reply 19
Aw bless :-) I'm sure your little girl will be proud of her Mummy.
I decided PT would be best for me as I haven't studied properly for a while and I still suffer with headaches/tiredness a lot, so don't want to get to overwhelmed.
I'm hoping that it will be the start of something good :-) hopefully it's my turn for some luck now , fingers crossed xx

Quick Reply