The Student Room Group

Denmark has banned Halal and Kosher slaughter

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cBay
lol we're carnivores. Carnivores eat meat. Look anywhere in nature.

Omnivores. Get it right. And in the western world, people eat far more meat than is actually required to survive.
Original post by alow
Then they'll have to be vegetarian.

no, if there is no halal/ kosher meat available, islam allows them to eat non halal. so if denmark bans all halal, they are thne able to eat non halal ( or veg) they have plenty of options.
Reply 82
Original post by PricklyPorcupine
Omnivores. Get it right. And in the western world, people eat far more meat than is actually required to survive.

Regardless, it is human nature to eat meat as part of our diet.
Original post by cBay
Regardless, it is human nature to eat meat as part of our diet.

Yes but we do not need as much as we tend to eat. Also, most methods of slaughter used industrially can be painful. Have you never seen how they utilise chicks in the meat industry?
Original post by michaelhaych
Death at the hands of halal slaughter pales in comparison to the horrors of life at the hands of western intensive farming practice. It seems contradictory that snapping a piglet's teeth off with pliers and no anaesthetic is perfectly legal and not a concern of "animal rights" yet cutting it's throat to kill it is illegal

The fact that another problem exists does not negate an unrelated problem.
Original post by cBay
lol we're carnivores. Carnivores eat meat. Look anywhere in nature.
Carnivores eat meat yes, like lions. we are not Carnivores , duu. at best humans are omnivores , biologically evolved to eat largely vegetation but at some point culturally branched out to include meat. our digestive systems, teeth and stomach acids are no way comparable to a proper carnivore. muslims have the option of being vegetarians if Denmark doenst allow them halal meat and their Islamic belief is more important to them- islam doesnt require you to eat meat
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Meenglishnogood
humans are better and more specifically designed to be vegetarians, given our teeth, digestive tract systems, stomach acids etc. however it doesn't mean we cant or shouldn't eat meat.

If you choose to not eat meat then carry on.

Many however like eating meat.
It seems to me obvious that the slaughter of animals at the end of their lives is of far less ethical importance than the way they are treated beforehand.

The cruelties of factory farming extend over an animal's whole lifetime whereas the cruelty of ritual slaughter lasts minutes at most. To complain about the halal slaughter of battery chickens or factory farmed veal is a truly monstrous absurdity.
Original post by MatureStudent36
If you choose to not eat meat then carry on.

Many however like eating meat.
I know many also like drinking coffee, im saying you neither need or were designed to eat meat or coffee. so it is not be all and end all that a muslims cannot eat their halal meat. they can eats some beans and carrots and become less fat
Original post by Naomi_91
Shows how little you know.

The muslims and jews in that country will not eat meat now, and the government knows it.

Thats what makes this banning such a joke. People seem to think if halal/kosher is banned, people will just eat normal meat. lol

Who cares if they don't eat meat. It's their own stupid fault.
Guys, I'm Jewish + Kosher and I believe this comment goes to Muslims too (correct me if I'm wrong guys :smile: ), but in Judaism the 'Shochet', the person killing the animal, actually has to study and prepare for the slaughtering of animals, as in Judaism it is forbidden to eat meat from an animal which has suffered when it is killed.
Whilst years ago conventional slaughter of animals was primitive and harmed animals, for over 2,000 years in Judaism we have preserved the fact that we cannot make animals suffer as they too are G.od's creation.
Original post by R Dragon
It seems to me obvious that the slaughter of animals at the end of their lives is of far less ethical importance than the way they are treated beforehand.

The cruelties of factory farming extend over an animal's whole lifetime whereas the cruelty of ritual slaughter lasts minutes at most. To complain about the halal slaughter of battery chickens or factory farmed veal is a truly monstrous absurdity.

the point is there that to be truly fair to animals you would not breed, farm and store them just for you to eat. don't forget these are not wild animals they were selectively breed over generation to provide you with a meat dish. they kept as they are kept for economic reasons- its a gobal business you can argue that all should give up meat to avoid animal cruelty. but why stop there, you can still can be a hypocrite- if you then allow culling of badgers, foxes, what about insects, spiders? what animal is worth saving and which is worthless to you? this whole point is not about elimnateing hypcocracy ( cannot be done so easily) its making a start to reduce unecessariy cruelty - tribal practices of the arab peninsula are not a good reason to torture an animal, even for just a few minutes.
Reply 92
LOOOOL is this the same country where animal brothels are legal? LOL LOL LOL
Original post by Naomi_91
You can tell who the morons are in this thread; the people who are saying its a great move, and animal rights come first.

How can you call this a animal rights move, but its still legal to kill millions of animals.

Am I allowed the kill humans as long as its pain free?

No-one is saying that animals have a right not to be eaten; it's natural and part of the food chain. What they do have a right to, is respectful treatment & handling by humans.

And in answer to your last question, in American states where they have the death penalty, then yes, they are allowed to kill humans as long as its pain free. i.e. lethal injection. Even when murderers are put to death, they still have a right to painless and respectful death.
Original post by Alludeen1
Who cares if they don't eat meat. It's their own stupid fault.

What you mean by it is their 'fault'? That they are Muslim? That they are following God's command rightfully?

In fact the only reason Halal meat exists in the first place is that it is cleaner than say swine or poisoned/shot animals. As for animals' rights, it is less painful for the jugular vein/ carotid vein/ windpipe to be swiped by a single blow of an incredibly sharp blade. Quick and painless. Rather than electrically shocked animals that occurs conventionally in processed meat factories.

Honestly, I suggest that you stop commenting on others religions with no clear knowledge or sense. You are merely embarrassing yourself and solidifying your ignorance.
Original post by marie farie
What you mean by it is their 'fault'? That they are Muslim? That they are following God's command rightfully?

In fact the only reason Halal meat exists in the first place is that it is cleaner than say swine or poisoned/shot animals. As for animals' rights, it is less painful for the jugular vein/ carotid vein/ windpipe to be swiped by a single blow of an incredibly sharp blade. Quick and painless. Rather than electrically shocked animals that occurs conventionally in processed meat factories.

Honestly, I suggest that you stop commenting on others religions with no clear knowledge or sense. You are merely embarrassing yourself and solidifying your ignorance.

Boom!
Fully agree with you Marie!
Original post by marie farie

there is no evidence for that, and also humae slaughter doesn't involve shots or poison, so you are mis-informed. its not the pain of the ritualistic slitting of throat but the cruelty of stress. in islam the animal must forced a slow death so the cleric can make his chants as it bleeds out, it is not instantaneous, that is the whole point in islam . I dnt know about jewish
Original post by Meenglishnogood
there is no evidence for that, and also humae slaughter doesn't involve shots or poison, so you are mis-informed. its not the pain of the ritualistic slitting of throat but the cruelty of stress. in islam the animal must forced a slow death so the cleric can make his chants as it bleeds out, it is not instantaneous, that is the whole point in islam . I dnt know about jewish

It IS instantaneous. That is the way in Islam, they are specifically required to sharpen knives before slaughtering and make sure the neck is cut off as quickly as possible. similar is the case in "jhatka" sacrifice in sikhism. I don't know about judaism, but it's probably similar I guess.

As far as being humane is concerned, humans always sacrificed animals using a knife and before humans, other animals simply chewed on them. That's how nature is. This is how it works and has worked for millions of years.

the entire thing is about satisfying the athiest majority in denmark, cuz they demand religion simply be banned or what ever...
Why should Halal be in Denmark anyway, it's not a Muslim country. Was the general population consulted? Nope.
Original post by Maid Marian
Is that true? Good on them :h: Animals should come first :yes:

A free range animal that has its throat slit probably has it better than a load of battery chickens.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending