The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Relaxis
Yep, Luxembourg, Switzerland and Monte Carlo all have high incomes and low living costs - why? We all have banking secrecy. Luxembourg though is THE banking country, with the most amount of banks per square kilometre in the world.

Also there are no filming taxes in Luxembourg and as a result a lot of films get shot here in part. "George and Dragon" and "Girl with a Pearl Earring" to name a few.

So you're the ones responsible for that ****e!?! :mad:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 41
Girl with a Pearl Earring was an excellent film. George and Dragon wasn't very good, no. But other films like "Saving Grace" were shot here. And that was a good film.
Relaxis
Girl with a Pearl Earring was an excellent film. George and Dragon wasn't very good, no. But other films like "Saving Grace" were shot here. And that was a good film.

I'm not a Scarlett Johansson fan, and think less of Colin Firth, aso it wasn't going to play well with me.
Reply 43
Different strokes for different folks.
Reply 44
Dude, dont besmerch the name of Colin in my presence.
Timothy
Dude, dont besmerch the name of Colin in my presence.

OK, I dislike Mr. Firth :smile:
Reply 46
:frown:

That's just mean. His performance in Pride and Prejudice is amazing.
Reply 47
Hugh grant, colin firth and company only know how to play one role really. That's what's so damn annoying. They have one tone of voice, one expression and one mannerism. They're hardly actors at all.
Reply 48
Well I think he does a good job in the role as Darcy, and plays those sorts of roles very well, so he sticks to them, much like action actors stick to their roles.
Reply 49
Yes but a good actor can play any role.

Example - Johnny depp
Timothy
Yep, we would have to pay 10000 (as you do for masters I believe) but it is heavily subsidised by our kind government.

not true...u would have to pay 3500 franks (that is less than 2000 pounds)! swissies pay 1000! SO the difference to british fees is massive! ANd im doing a bachelor..the masters will cost around 20000..at least at LSE that is the case
psycho
but switzerland is a MDC ..and the people is high income .. should be no problem .. hehe

most of my parents income comes from businesses in russia:smile:heheeheh
Reply 52
You speak like a true soviet russian.

At the same time a degree in a swiss university compared to a degree at Durham University in the UK - DO NOT COMPARE. If swiss universities are so good why aren't you going there?
The fees are in accordance with the standard of education you are getting. Just accept them.
Reply 53
MasterBlaster
not true...u would have to pay 3500 franks (that is less than 2000 pounds)! swissies pay 1000! SO the difference to british fees is massive! ANd im doing a bachelor..the masters will cost around 20000..at least at LSE that is the case

No, in the UK we would have to pay 10,000 but we dont. You do however for a masters.
Reply 54
Relaxis
Yes but a good actor can play any role.

Example - Johnny depp

Just because he can't play many roles doesn't make him a bad actor in my opinion. He plays the roles he does well, why should he have to play parts in films he doesn't want to just to be a good actor, it makes little sense to do something he may not be as good at.
Timothy
Just because he can't play many roles doesn't make him a bad actor in my opinion. He plays the roles he does well, why should he have to play parts in films he doesn't want to just to be a good actor, it makes little sense to do something he may not be as good at.

Just because someone can cook amazing sausage rolls, doesn't make them a good chef. The same goes for acting. Colin Firth can play the aloof romantic lead very well, because it's probably his character. He has 2 roles, essentially, himself and himself in a coat.
Reply 56
Just because someone can cook amazing sausage rolls, doesn't make them a good chef. The same goes for acting. Colin Firth can play the aloof romantic lead very well, because it's probably his character. He has 2 roles, essentially, himself and himself in a coat.

Agreed

By definition acting is the ability to suspend disbelief. If you're playing yourself then you're no longer suspending disbelief. No matter what coat you are wearing.
Relaxis
You speak like a true soviet russian.

At the same time a degree in a swiss university compared to a degree at Durham University in the UK - DO NOT COMPARE. If swiss universities are so good why aren't you going there?
The fees are in accordance with the standard of education you are getting. Just accept them.

St.Gallen uni..is quite popular in europe...and im not realy complaining about the fees, I was just saying that int.students pay A LOT:smile:
Reply 58
Yeah. And I told you why.
Reply 59
Relaxis
Agreed

By definition acting is the ability to suspend disbelief. If you're playing yourself then you're no longer suspending disbelief. No matter what coat you are wearing.

I somehow doubt that Colin Firth acts much like Darcy.

As for the sausage roll comparison, I study geography thus I am a geographer, however I only study certain aspects of it so am I not a good geographer?

I don't see how you can justify calling him a bad actor just because he acts roles which are similar though. He acts well at those roles, so in my eyes he is a good actor.

For example, Robert de Niro (though admittedly not to the same extent) acts in a lot of mafia/gangstar/big boss type parts because he is good at it too.

Latest

Trending

Trending