The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by akshy777
i don't wanna sound weird but you all realise we're up against each other in the exam. So effectively whenever we give each other tips we're helping each other do better in the exam and help increase the grade boundaries so that it becomes tougher to get get the grade we want...

... yes but the aim is to enhance one an-others knowledge.. not to fail to lower grade boundaries?
i don't wanna sound weird but you all realise we're up against each other in the exam. So effectively whenever we give each other tips we're helping each other do better in the exam and help increase the grade boundaries so that it becomes tougher to get get the grade we want...
I have also thought about this, and it is a dog eat dog world out here hahaha.. But I mean one thread isn't going to increase the grade boundaries that dramatically (or at all) and might help someone just gain a couple more marks? :smile:

But at the same time most people taking this exam won't be on tsr, and so any effect from this thread would be negligible. Besides it's no different to helping out a classmate, and that happens anyway. I get what you're saying but it doesn't make much of a difference :smile:
Original post by Steeeevveeees
I have also thought about this, and it is a dog eat dog world out here hahaha.. But I mean one thread isn't going to increase the grade boundaries that dramatically (or at all) and might help someone just gain a couple more marks? :smile:

Haha we literally said the same thing! Completely agree, and a couple more marks can make all the difference :smile:
Reply 44
Look I'm not trying to stir trouble but you do realise a lot of people don't have accounts on here but observe these threads and use all the resources and info to benefit themselves and admittedly I'm one of those people. So yes if it was just the people who comment on here then perhaps it wouldn't have much effect. It nice that people do this but its different from being in a class room because unlike in a classroom you would be helping many top candidates who secretly peer at these pages an pick up tips to help themselves nail the top grades and skew the grade boundaries. And btw you all know how tight it can be. Plus you up against others from private or top colleges in this country with those doing A2 being established at the subject. Especially with bio being as unpredictable as it is, what each of you might have at stake eg a university place which defines your life, and I believe only a few colleges in the country do bio with wjec as their exam board so the implications are more significant than you may see them

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Beatbox22
... yes but the aim is to enhance one an-others knowledge.. not to fail to lower grade boundaries?

So if you ended with a c but your advice helped a large amount of people gain extra marks that meant you just missed out on a b grade...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by Steeeevveeees

Not dramatically but a few marks can make a huge difference in the end

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
I don't care if it's a dog eat eat dog world, not helping people because you don't want them to get a couple of extra marks that may make the grade boundaries higher so you have a the smallest bit extra chance of fitting into a higher grade? sounds a bit selfish to me..
So what if it makes the grade boundaries what ,like one mark higher, most likely you will have gained more than one mark just from reading this thread in the first place.

If a college doing wjec bio suddenly gained a better teacher who's amazing at biology that's going to do more damage than this thread is. No point thinking about the damage this thread can do, better to think what you can gain from it instead.
Reply 48
does anyone have a good definition of what a Quaternary protein is? I know that's from by1 or 2 but it keeps popping up and I can't really remember..
cheers:smile:
Original post by _Lydia_
does anyone have a good definition of what a Quaternary protein is? I know that's from by1 or 2 but it keeps popping up and I can't really remember..
cheers:smile:

i just remember it as two or more polypeptide chains in tertiary form combined. i usually remember that haemoglobin is a quaternary protein and think of its structure to remind me :smile: hope that helps
Reply 50
Original post by Nita.Jordan
i just remember it as two or more polypeptide chains in tertiary form combined. i usually remember that haemoglobin is a quaternary protein and think of its structure to remind me :smile: hope that helps

aghhh that sounds familiar isn't there something to do with the bonds as well? i never remember which ones are present, thank you! :smile:
Original post by _Lydia_
aghhh that sounds familiar isn't there something to do with the bonds as well? i never remember which ones are present, thank you! :smile:

i always forget the bonds as well! i'm not sure sorry
Original post by _Lydia_

ionic, disulphide, and hydrogen bonds :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Original post by bookworm246love
ionic, disulphide, and hydrogen bonds :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

and hydrophobic interaction too! :smile:
and hydrophobic interaction too! :smile:

yeah sorry forgot that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Original post by bookworm246love
yeah sorry forgot that

Posted from TSR Mobile

no worries - are you looking forward to this exam? I got the new A2 book that is packed with information - so many mistakes though!! Anyone else got it and think this too?
Reply 56
I will also be typing my notes soon, so if anyone wants a copy in like a weeks time once i'm done let me know :smile:
no worries - are you looking forward to this exam? I got the new A2 book that is packed with information - so many mistakes though!! Anyone else got it and think this too?

what book? the revision guide?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you talking about the new study guides with the separate by4 and by5 books?
I will also be typing my notes soon, so if anyone wants a copy in like a weeks time once i'm done let me know :smile:

me pleaseeeeee :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest