The Student Room Group

Simplifying Algebra Expressions

Never been a big fan of Algebra, so hopefully someone can help me :smile:

I've been given a couple of expressions I need to simplify...

h2 + h2

g3 + g

y4
y2 ( there is a line between these two.)

m2 + 2m2 + 4m2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
First one there are two lots of h^2, 2 lots of x is 2x so 2 lots of h^2 is...?Second one, take out a common factor of gThird one, I take it that is y^4/y^2, subtract the powers using the rule that xmxn=xmn\dfrac{x^{m}}{x^{n}}=x^{m-n}4th one is another case of simply adding terms, 1 lot of m^2 plus 2 lots of m^2 plus 4 lots of m^2, how many m^2 do you have in total?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by fliss1992
Never been a big fan of Algebra, so hopefully someone can help me :smile:

I've been given a couple of expressions I need to simplify...

h2 + h2

g3 + g

y4
y2 ( there is a line between these two.)

m2 + 2m2 + 4m2

1. You have one lot of something plus another lot of something, the something being h2h^2. So what do you have? If you're still not sure, what does h + h simplify to? A similar thing happens here.

2. This doesn't simplify but you can factorise but I don't think that's what you're doing.

3. Maybe you'll know what to do if the division symbol is used: y4÷y2y^4 \div y^2. Have you seen something like this before?

4. You have one lot of something plus two lots of something plus four lots of something...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
1 = h4

2 = ?

3 =
y2

4 = m10

correct? apart from number 2
Reply 4
Original post by notnek
1. You have one lot of something plus another lot of something, the something being h2h^2. So what do you have? If you're still not sure, what does h + h simplify to? A similar thing happens here.

2. This doesn't simplify but you can factorise but I don't think that's what you're doing.

3. Maybe you'll know what to do if the division symbol is used: y4÷y2y^4 \div y^2. Have you seen something like this before?

4. You have one lot of something plus two lots of something plus four lots of something...

1 = h4

2 = ?

3 =
y2

4 = m10

1 = h4

2 = ?

3 =
y2

4 = m10

1 is wrong as you were meant to ad and you multiplied

q + q = 2q

blob + blob = 2blob

Similar to Q4 which is wrong for the same reason
Reply 6
Original post by TenOfThem
1 is wrong as you were meant to ad and you multiplied

q + q = 2q

blob + blob = 2blob

Similar to Q4 which is wrong for the same reason

your confusing me completely?

first of all what is blob and q + q?
your confusing me completely?

first of all what is blob and q + q?

anything + anything = 2anything
Reply 8
Original post by TenOfThem

your seriously not helping!
your seriously not helping!

Ok
Reply 10
why do you post if your just going to annoy people and not help? if you don't want to help then don't post!!!
why do you post if your just going to annoy people and not help? if you don't want to help then don't post!!!

How extremely rude of you

I have posted two perfectly good posts trying to show you how to do Q1

You did not understand - that is hardly my fault
Reply 12
how have you been trying to help and giving good answers? your saying blob this blob that and I have no idea what your on about!
A fight ensues.
Perhaps you should reread your textbook/notes/consult other people on your course.
I am confused as to why there is a power at the front of m2
Reply 16
According to my calculations, 80% of you's are incorrect

1) = 2(h^2)
2) = g(1+g^2)
Reply 17

Tenofthem's posts were perfect to help you understand your mistake. The fact that you didn't understand it was your fault and not hers. Your reply was unnecessary and rude.

You need to simplify h2+h2h^2 + h^2. Since you're having difficulty with h2h^2, let's look at different variables:

x + x = 2x
h + h = 2h
blob + blob = 2blob

Can you see what we're trying to show you?

So what's h2+h2h^2 + h^2?
Reply 18
well I was told to add so it would be h4?

I've never done algebra before and I'm teaching myself so it's not an option to consult a tutor..
well I was told to add so it would be h4?

I've never done algebra before and I'm teaching myself so it's not an option to consult a tutor..

h2+h2=2h2h^2 + h^2 = 2h^2 - this is the answer notnek and TenOfThem were trying to lead you towards, and there's no need to be rude to them.

If you have one apple + one apple, you get two apples. Exactly the same way as if you have one h + one h = 2h, and one h2 + one h2 = 2h2.

The only time you add powers together (the number above the letters) is when you multiply. So h2×h2=h4h^2 \times h^2 = h^4, but NOT h2 + h2. Looks like you need to google the laws of indices to get a grasp of the basics.

So can you try the other questions now?

Quick Reply

Latest