The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

On weekends do students in London unis just go back home?

I heard that students in London unis go back home on the weekend, or to stay with relatives that live in London. Is this true? This could put me off going to Kings and go To Manchester instead, given that for my course they're comparable, I'd wanna go to a more social place.
Reply 1
I'd imagine some students go home at weekends because London has good public transport links with most of the country, especially with the surrounding counties. However, saying that I also imagine lots of people stay there too as commuting regularly isn't financially viable.

I feel that this is probably common at other universities outside of London as well.

Don't forget , London is a great place to be at the weekend!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by benh84
I'd imagine some students go home at weekends because London has good public transport links with most of the country, especially with the surrounding counties. However, saying that I also imagine lots of people stay there too as commuting regularly isn't financially viable.

I feel that this is probably common at other universities outside of London as well.

Don't forget , London is a great place to be at the weekend!

Posted from TSR Mobile

On the last point, this is what i thought would make ppl stay central, but seems not for a fair amount of ppl.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
You would think so, but not everyone gets on well with living in London, if you're not used to it's fast pace and multiculturalism, you can feel very out of place. Personally, I love London, there's nowhere else quite like it. Something to do around every corner.

I lived with students in Kent and some of them went home every other weekend. I really do feel that it's something you would experience at any university. But it might be slightly greater at King's because it does not have that campus feel.

Did you get a chance to go to an open day? I went to one for offer holders and was quite impressed. The union seemed to arrange lots at weekends and thought the week from what I could make out.

I think the big thing is, that in London it will be an entirely different university experience because you have so much choice of what to do, where to go out etc..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I went to visit on a self guided campus tour, got a leaflet which told me what to check out. It looked very nice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't know anyone that goes home at weekends. Most people at Kings are either foreign students or from other parts of the UK, if they're not from London. They don't have the money to go home more than once a month if they live in Manchester or Wales.
Reply 6
I doubt it? Yes probably a few people do but I don't see why it would be more than any other Uni? The type of people who move to London for Uni are likely to be a more independent type (unless they didn't really think about it and just went by the Uni without giving thought to location) so to be honest it would be more likely that people would stay for weekends. It's a bit of a strange reason to decide not to go to King's anyway, if you're clutching at straws with reasons like this maybe you should just go to Manchester? :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by NiallD
I doubt it? Yes probably a few people do but I don't see why it would be more than any other Uni? The type of people who move to London for Uni are likely to be a more independent type (unless they didn't really think about it and just went by the Uni without giving thought to location) so to be honest it would be more likely that people would stay for weekends. It's a bit of a strange reason to decide not to go to King's anyway, if you're clutching at straws with reasons like this maybe you should just go to Manchester? :tongue:

Lool I have a cousin who went Manchester and he said all this to me and that I should go there, but talked to others n asked here and it seems what he said was a massive exaggeration lol

Firmed kings with Manchester as my insurance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by GrandMasterChe
Lool I have a cousin who went Manchester and he said all this to me and that I should go there, but talked to others n asked here and it seems what he said was a massive exaggeration lol

Firmed kings with Manchester as my insurance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I see then, yeah I think issues like this were probably exaggerated and even if they weren't the people who go home at weekends would be likely to be the less social people so it probably wouldn't affect how social it is as a university anyway!

Quick Reply

Latest