The Student Room Group

OCR A2 geology

Scroll to see replies

Original post by behindblueglass
Well I need ABB to get into uni
not sure how Environmental studies went, it could be a B or an A
so I want the A in geology as a back up
I also struggle with geography, so was hoping to get two As and then a C for geography
I guess I'll have to see :/

Yea there's no point speculating about it now, its not like maths where you can find out exactly how well you did straight afterwards :P
Original post by Wombat96
Yea there's no point speculating about it now, its not like maths where you can find out exactly how well you did straight afterwards :P

Well for environmental studies my teacher sat down with me and we went through the paper (she had a copy a few days after each exam) I've got 74% on one and 76% on another..So I'm hoping the grade boundaries are lowish :L
Does anyone know who the Silurian Trilobite was out of Deiphon, Calymene, Agnostus and Trinucleus and who the Cambrian Trilobite was out of those 4 too? It's really annoying me T.T
Original post by EmilyStrange13
Does anyone know who the Silurian Trilobite was out of Deiphon, Calymene, Agnostus and Trinucleus and who the Cambrian Trilobite was out of those 4 too? It's really annoying me T.T

The both looked like benthonic calymane to me but I wouldn't take my word for it :L
QUOTE=behindblueglass;48104037]The both looked like benthonic calymane to me but I wouldn't take my word for it :L

Yeah, I thought that too but I felt the Silurian one was more Calymene cause of the way the pleura were arranged and felt that Deiphon was the Cambrian cause of the separated pleura but im not sure as the eyes didnt look like they were on stalks!
QUOTE=behindblueglass;48104037]The both looked like benthonic calymane to me but I wouldn't take my word for it :L

Yeah, I thought that too but I felt the Silurian one was more Calymene cause of the way the pleura were arranged and felt that Deiphon was the Cambrian cause of the separated pleura but im not sure as the eyes didnt look like they were on stalks!

The eyes wern't on stalks and I didn't think it was small enough but hey ho I don't know about this exam it could have gone either way for me :L
How many sets of legs did you say the trilobite had?

The eyes wern't on stalks and I didn't think it was small enough but hey ho I don't know about this exam it could have gone either way for me :L

That is what really annoyed me cause the pleura were separated and I didn't think that the Cambrian trilobite would be Agnostus or Trinucleus! It was so weird! T.T I spent quite a bit of time on that question and ended up putting something really stupid! I said 2 pairs of legs cause I didn't think the answer would be staring me in the face but apparently most people counted how many pairs of legs the trilobite had from the diagram! I've never felt so embarrassed in an exam before! What did you get?

That is what really annoyed me cause the pleura were separated and I didn't think that the Cambrian trilobite would be Agnostus or Trinucleus! It was so weird! T.T I spent quite a bit of time on that question and ended up putting something really stupid! I said 2 pairs of legs cause I didn't think the answer would be staring me in the face but apparently most people counted how many pairs of legs the trilobite had from the diagram! I've never felt so embarrassed in an exam before! What did you get?

I put 11 :P

That's what other people I've asked put too! I'm probably the only one who got that wrong omg! Dx

That's what other people I've asked put too! I'm probably the only one who got that wrong omg! Dx

Well what's done is done, that bit was only worth a few marks, don't get bogged down. I'm sure the rest of the exam was good :biggrin:

Well what's done is done, that bit was only worth a few marks, don't get bogged down. I'm sure the rest of the exam was good :biggrin:

Yeah, it was as I liked the two 10 markers so hopefully I end up with a good grade. There were a few others questions I liked too but there were some questions that required quite a bit of thought!

Yeah, it was as I liked the two 10 markers so hopefully I end up with a good grade. There were a few others questions I liked too but there were some questions that required quite a bit of thought!

Yeah the rose diagram was tricky I Messed that up truly. The three graph question was tricky, but I put that sea level decreases less habitats for the brachiopods results in a decline in brachiopods. As sea level declines due to water being stored on land as Ice the carbon 13 concentration also drops, this is because carbon 12 is not stored in biomass on land due to the limited vegetation.

i said that the symbiotic relationship of coral was with Algae and that the coral provided shelter and a habitat for the algae and the algae converted sunlight into sugars which the coral can use as food.

I didn't like the gastropod vs microfossil question but I split in into the two fossils and wrote about advantages then disadvantages
Graptolites= evolved rapidly meaning that they can be used to date more accurately
they were planktonic and so drifted and covered a wider area meaning the chance of finding one greatly increased
they were abundant and so are found commonly
they required a specific set of fossilization condition e.g. low oxygen
And a few more points about them!

Microfossils= They occured on land and in marine ecosystems meaning they cover a wide range of environments
They are used by oil companies to date rocks
The marine ones were planktonic and so travelled over a range of locations
A microscope is required to see them
Some calcium based ones break up past the CCD

Yeah the rose diagram was tricky I Messed that up truly. The three graph question was tricky, but I put that sea level decreases less habitats for the brachiopods results in a decline in brachiopods. As sea level declines due to water being stored on land as Ice the carbon 13 concentration also drops, this is because carbon 12 is not stored in biomass on land due to the limited vegetation.

i said that the symbiotic relationship of coral was with Algae and that the coral provided shelter and a habitat for the algae and the algae converted sunlight into sugars which the coral can use as food.

I didn't like the gastropod vs microfossil question but I split in into the two fossils and wrote about advantages then disadvantages
Graptolites= evolved rapidly meaning that they can be used to date more accurately
they were planktonic and so drifted and covered a wider area meaning the chance of finding one greatly increased
they were abundant and so are found commonly
they required a specific set of fossilization condition e.g. low oxygen

Microfossils= They occured on land and in marine ecosystems meaning they cover a wide range of environments
They are used by oil companies to date rocks
The marine ones were planktonic and so travelled over a range of locations
A microscope is required to see them
Some calcium based ones break up past the CCD

I really disliked the rose diagram question so I thought I would leave it until I finished the questions I understood but then I was running out of time and didn't do it anyway! I looked at it for a few minutes but I didn't understand it! I missed the graph question out too cause I don't like those types of questions and thought I'd come back to it but I never did cause again I was running out of time T.T I had the same points as you for the graptolites plus a few other points. I had one or two of your points about the microfossils but I think I was better at discussing the graptolites. For the coral question I talked about the zooxanthaelle using the waste produced by corals and vice versa and that this was a symbiotic relationship Dx I didn't mention anything about shelter!
I really disliked the rose diagram question so I thought I would leave it until I finished the questions I understood but then I was running out of time and didn't do it anyway! I looked at it for a few minutes but I didn't understand it! I missed the graph question out too cause I don't like those types of questions and thought I'd come back to it but I never did cause again I was running out of time T.T I had the same points as you for the graptolites plus a few other points. I had one or two of your points about the microfossils but I think I was better at discussing the graptolites. For the coral question I talked about the zooxanthaelle using the waste produced by corals and vice versa and that this was a symbiotic relationship Dx I didn't mention anything about shelter!

What did you write about the kelvin dating thing
I wrote that he thought the world started off at 7000 degrees and has been cooling ever since but he didn't take into account radioactive rocks being a source of heat

I wrote that he thought the world started off at 7000 degrees and has been cooling ever since but he didn't take into account radioactive rocks being a source of heat

I think I completely messed that question up as I wrote that there have been different rates of cooling and that heating and cooling have occurred at different times :/
Reply 115
Is it just our class or was F216 very hard, I got the highest in the class and that was 29/40. I'm not sure why we struggled so much, but the tests were pretty tricky. What do you guys think?
Also in F214 the placer question threw me I could only remember meander bends and plunge pool. I couldn't remember downstream of confluences and upstream of projections and possibly beach deposits.
Reply 116

I think I completely messed that question up as I wrote that there have been different rates of cooling and that heating and cooling have occurred at different times :/

I think the rose diagram threw everybody tbh I had to come back to that one and luckily got it in the end. It was two columns but each box was a value and you had to tally how many times that value came within so many degrees. The coral question was ok it looks like you covered the most important things on that, same with kelvin. The most tricky question on F795 was the reef question. I put it was fossiliferous limestone instead of reef limestone but I think it should still be correct but idk.
Original post by Ant.A

I think the rose diagram threw everybody tbh I had to come back to that one and luckily got it in the end. It was two columns but each box was a value and you had to tally how many times that value came within so many degrees. The coral question was ok it looks like you covered the most important things on that, same with kelvin. The most tricky question on F795 was the reef question. I put it was fossiliferous limestone instead of reef limestone but I think it should still be correct but idk.

I don't really remember what I had for that kelvin dating question but I do remember stating the cooling of the Earth as being one problem. Oh right, so that's what I needed to do... I don't think I would have had enough time to complete that rose diagram question and the other questions in the paper even if I had known what to do cause I would just spend far too long on it. I tend to spend far too long on a question that I understand well for some reason :s-smilie: oh yeah, I really dislike the fact that I struggled with that reef question cause I was really strong on that stuff from AS which I also did this year T.T so I was really annoyed about that. How do you think you've done, grade wise?
Soooo how did it go guys? :biggrin:
Soooo how did it go guys? :biggrin:

Got 3A*'s and an A, got 288/300 in geology, never been so happy! How did yours go?:smile:

Quick Reply