The Student Room Group

What's harder Further Maths or Physics AS? Are both similar subjects?

I'll be doing Further Maths this year because i love maths.

Would Further Maths help me in Physics AS?

Scroll to see replies

It depends which modules you'll be doing in further maths, if you do mechanics, it'll help with physics (or vice versa, depends which you learn first). Apart from that, you'll probably get better and rearranging equations and stuff from FM so that'll help with physics too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by pirategyal
It depends which modules you'll be doing in further maths, if you do mechanics, it'll help with physics (or vice versa, depends which you learn first). Apart from that, you'll probably get better and rearranging equations and stuff from FM so that'll help with physics too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do all modules in FM. Don't you?
Original post by JAIYEKO

I always thought physics AS was really easy compared to FM, but each to his own.

But yeah it depends on which modules you do, for example if you do loads of mechanics then yeah it will help, but doing decision and stats may not

Posted from TSR Mobile
They're both disgusting subjects. Don't dig yourself an early grave dude
Reply 5
I take both Further Math and Physics AS.
My Physics teacher is not a good one and I found that learning the Mechanics bits from Further Math helped me GREATLY for Physics. In fact, the kids who take Further Math have no problem in the math part of Physics as we learned quite a bit of it in our Mechanics modules already.

Also, I find Physics easier than Further Math, but it's hard to generalize that. Some people are better in the science, whereas some people are better in math.

Hope this helps.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JAIYEKO

Erm nope, it depends what your college does.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by nicole96
I take both Further Math and Physics AS.
My Physics teacher is not a good one and I found that learning the Mechanics bits from Further Math helped me GREATLY for Physics. In fact, the kids who take Further Math have no problem in the math part of Physics as we learned quite a bit of it in our Mechanics modules already.

Also, I find Physics easier than Further Math, but it's hard to generalize that. Some people are better in the science, whereas some people are better in math.

Hope this helps.

My teacher said if you get an A* in GCSE Maths, and you're doing Further Maths at college, you'll get into Physics without a problem.
Reply 8
Original post by JAIYEKO
My teacher said if you get an A* in GCSE Maths, and you're doing Further Maths at college, you'll get into Physics without a problem.

Did you mean Physics as in the course in university? I was referring/comparing between Further Math and Physics at AS level.
Reply 9
Original post by lilypear
They're both disgusting subjects. Don't dig yourself an early grave dude

What are you doing? Music technology and Dance?
Reply 10
Did you mean Physics as in the course in university? I was referring/comparing between Further Math and Physics at AS level.

Yeah I mean Physics AS.
Original post by JAIYEKO

Physics isn't all maths though, whilst there might be some overlap from mechanics into physics, there are still non mathematical concepts, which makes them hard to compare really

Posted from TSR Mobile
In fact, the kids who take Further Math have no problem in the math part of Physics as we learned quite a bit of it in our Mechanics modules already.

After doing grinding through M1 and M2 this year, it's CRAZY how easy the related Physics questions are... no projectiles or forces question that Physics can throw at us is anywhere near the level of a Mechanics one.

Original post by JAIYEKO

sick burn m8
Reply 13
They're both exceptionally easy. All A level subjects are piss easy.

Further maths won't help you at all with physics.

Physics is fun, further maths is also plenty of fun, so you should take both. If you're feeling very adventurous, do AS and A2 for both subjects.
Reply 14
Original post by Stinkum
They're both exceptionally easy. All A level subjects are piss easy.

Further maths won't help you at all with physics.

Physics is fun, further maths is also plenty of fun, so you should take both. If you're feeling very adventurous, do AS and A2 for both subjects.

Haha, what about GCSE's? How hard are they?
Reply 15
Original post by pirategyal
Physics isn't all maths though, whilst there might be some overlap from mechanics into physics, there are still non mathematical concepts, which makes them hard to compare really

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would further maths be a science that universities accept? Because if it isn't, what is it class under?
Reply 16
Original post by JAIYEKO
Would further maths be a science that universities accept? Because if it isn't, what is it class under?

Shouldn't Further Math just be classed under math instead of science?
Depends which modules.

I'd say Physics is quite easy, but Further Maths AS can be a doddle too.
Original post by JAIYEKO

Physics, Maths and Mechanics, Further and German, fool.
Original post by JAIYEKO

You take 12 modules in Further Maths, but there are way more; it depends on the school or college. The modules are Core 1, Core 2, Core 3, Core 4, Further Pure 1, Further Pure 2, Further Pure 3, Statistics 1, 2, 3, and 4, Mechanics 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, Decision 1 and 2 and on OCR MEI, a whole module on Differential Equations.

Different exam boards have different numbers of Statistics and Mechnaics modules available, but all boards have more modules than 12 available.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest