The Student Room Group

Physics help please!!! (GCSE) (Reps up for grabs)

I am currently doing my physics controlled assessment. It is about impact craters. On part two I have to 'suggest a hypothesis to explain why the craters have different r dimensions and explain my reasons for suggesting this hypothesis'. I then have to plan an experiment to test my hypothesis. Please help!
Reply 1
Original post by _-_Ella_-_
I am currently doing my physics controlled assessment. It is about impact craters. On part two I have to 'suggest a hypothesis to explain why the craters have different r dimensions and explain my reasons for suggesting this hypothesis'. I then have to plan an experiment to test my hypothesis. Please help!

The hypothesis should be something along the lines of " As the momentum of a meteor increases, the diameter of the crater also increases"

remember, momentum = mass * velocity.
if you are dropping your meteor from various heights then you can calculate it's final velocity with the gravity acceleration formula ( 9.8 meters per second squared) or look on a formula sheet that your teacher may have given you
Reply 2
Hi, I saw your post and I think I have an answer for you...
I would say that crater sizes are proportional to the size of the objects that cause that crater, then do an experiment where you have a tray of sand and drop different sized objects into it and measure the size of the 'crater' formed and work out the relationship using a graph. =)

Quick Reply

Latest