The Student Room Group

Should I be ashamed of a 2.2?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by ilem
If you're inclined to a certain way of thinking it can be very easy to fall into the trap where events are interpreted in a way that reinforces your perspective and dismissed contrary perspectives.

I thought the whole breakup story with your ex was a great example of confirmation bias, since she gave you a plausible reason (cultural pressure) for the breakup and you rationalised that she ditched you for her 'superior' friend (despite the fact that they're still not together?).

I can see where you're coming from.

As I say I can't talk too much about this being on a nice holiday from Relationships :smile:
Well actually, I don't know. They might be going out now, who knows? She won't talk to me. Maybe she will once exams are over. I do feel that she had cultural pressures and an intense workload, but at the same time I do think she at least fancies him even if she isn't going out with him. The fact we had a secret relationship now just fuels paranoia; what if she's dating him in secret? Does her posting him this joke on FB mean they're together now? It looks like an injoke? I just saw her in town coming from the direction of the cinema the day X Men Days of Future Past came out, they're both into geeky stuff, she's dressed up and wearing a coat, has she just been on a date with him?! etc.
Of course I obsess about this guy because he reminds me of me, just before I was 'ill' so to speak.
Reply 101
Original post by ilem
If you're inclined to a certain way of thinking it can be very easy to fall into the trap where events are interpreted in a way that reinforces your perspective and dismissed contrary perspectives.

I thought the whole breakup story with your ex was a great example of confirmation bias, since she gave you a plausible reason (cultural pressure) for the breakup and you rationalised that she ditched you for her 'superior' friend (despite the fact that they're still not together?).

I can see where you're coming from.

As I say I can't talk too much about this being on a nice holiday from Relationships :smile:
Well actually, I don't know. They might be going out now, who knows? She won't talk to me. Maybe she will once exams are over. I do feel that she had cultural pressures and an intense workload, but at the same time I do think she at least fancies him even if she isn't going out with him. The fact we had a secret relationship now just fuels paranoia; what if she's dating him in secret? Does her posting him this joke on FB mean they're together now? It looks like an injoke? I just saw her in town coming from the direction of the cinema the day X Men Days of Future Past came out, they're both into geeky stuff, she's dressed up and wearing a coat, she hasn't seen me or maybe she's deliberately ignoring me, has she just been on a date with him?! etc.
Of course I obsess about this guy because he reminds me of me, just before I was 'ill' so to speak.
No-one should be ashamed of a 2.2 if they put the effort in.
Original post by ParetoOptimum
No-one should be ashamed of a 2.2 if they put the effort in.
I

I totally agree that any achievement resulting from a large amount of effort and dedication is something to be proud of.
I really don't understand why anyone would get into a large amount of debt and then not put the effort in to get the best result possible.
If I worked my socks off and got a 2.2 then I'd be proud of myself but if I put in very little effort and got a 2.2 then I would be ashamed of myself.
Original post by Goulash
I

I totally agree that any achievement resulting from a large amount of effort and dedication is something to be proud of.
I really don't understand why anyone would get into a large amount of debt and then not put the effort in to get the best result possible.
If I worked my socks off and got a 2.2 then I'd be proud of myself but if I put in very little effort and got a 2.2 then I would be ashamed of myself.

The post you quoted was from 4 years ago :fyi:
Original post by Riku
I mean seriously should I be considering punishing myself I only get a 2.2? I should have been able to get a First or certainly a 2.1 were I not lazy

Sorry to hear that you didn’t get the grade you had expected. If you genuinely believe that you have the ability to have been awarded a 1:1 or 2:1 then that must be really disappointing, but I suspect you already know this.

I don’t agree with comments suggesting that you give yourself a hard time, it’s done so I would maybe use this as a learning opportunity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending