The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Marketing (Industrial) Hemp

Hi guys,

Not a frequent poster on here but thought that it would be the best place for this, odd question though it may be.

Basically doing a marketing assignment on a sportswear brand - we've chosen Regatta - and as part of the assignment, breaking into new markets, we've chosen to break into the eco-clothing market. All simple stuff and good and well.

Problem being that the whole idea was based around hemp products - and I'm finding it damn impossible, probably due to US laws, to obtain any stats on industrial hemp and/or the hemp market(s) globally and its prices etc.

Does this market even exist? Is this not a viable business manoeuvre whatsoever? And if it is, what other fabrics are on par with hemp AND can be branded as eco-friendly and organic?

All help would be greatly appreciated! (Coming from somebody who hasn't 'studied' textiles since Year 9 at Comp haha.)

Sam
Original post by creativeLUMS
Hi guys,

Not a frequent poster on here but thought that it would be the best place for this, odd question though it may be.

Basically doing a marketing assignment on a sportswear brand - we've chosen Regatta - and as part of the assignment, breaking into new markets, we've chosen to break into the eco-clothing market. All simple stuff and good and well.

Problem being that the whole idea was based around hemp products - and I'm finding it damn impossible, probably due to US laws, to obtain any stats on industrial hemp and/or the hemp market(s) globally and its prices etc.

Does this market even exist? Is this not a viable business manoeuvre whatsoever? And if it is, what other fabrics are on par with hemp AND can be branded as eco-friendly and organic?

All help would be greatly appreciated! (Coming from somebody who hasn't 'studied' textiles since Year 9 at Comp haha.)

Sam

Hey dude,

Know exactly what you're going through at the moment - incidentally, I'm doing the same marketing assignment with my group right this minute.

My two pence of advice would be that if you can't find much evidence for it, don't do it. At the end of the day, the lecturers want to see references, sources etc. and if there's not enough then it's going to look like you've put hardly any effort in - which I'm sure is not the case (you'll be looking at roughly 30 references at least).

After working in sports retail for the past 2.5 years, I knew EXACTLY the right product to break into the market with! unfortunately though, there's not enough stats to show that it'd be beneficial/profitable, and so the idea was scrapped. We moved on to a different market/idea instead.

Remember, that you don't have to come up with a completely new product either - the briefing did say that you could take an existing product and alter it for the market opening that you've identified, so maybe if you can pull up some of Regattas official sourcing on hemp, or even if they've got any hemp products on their website, then you could use that as sourcing and get some of the benefits to support why you're using hemp in your clothing.

Might not be the advice that you're after, but just my knowledge from past experiences in the Marketing assignments.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest