The Student Room Group
University of Chichester
University of Chichester
Chichester

I'm a current student at the University of Chichester if anyone has any questions :)

I finish my first year on 9th May and I'm doing English. I lived on campus in halls for this year (catered and en suit), and next year I'll be living in a house with three other girls.

I'm Course Rep for English, Student Ambassador for the uni, and also the Welcome Rep for Bishop Sherbourne and Bishop Gilbert halls (so if you're in either of those two halls, you'll meet me on the first day, I'll be with you each evening in Fresher's Week, and I'll be around for about 8 weeks to help you all out)
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bd95
I finish my first year on 9th May and I'm doing English. I lived on campus in halls for this year, and next year I'll be living in a house with three other girls.

Hey!

I'm starting this sept studying Primary Teaching at Bognor Campus. I really want to be in self-catered accommodation, but I know Bognor doesn't offer one. How viable is it to live at halls at the other campus and travel to lectures? Do people do that or is it too much hassle?

Thanks,
Meg
University of Chichester
University of Chichester
Chichester
Reply 2
Original post by megmeg2626
Hey! I'm starting this sept studying Primary Teaching at Bognor Campus. I really want to be in self-catered accommodation, but I know Bognor doesn't offer one. How viable is it to live at halls at the other campus and travel to lectures? Do people do that or is it too much hassle?Thanks,Meg
I know quite a few people who do this, but the other way around (live in Bognor and come to the Chi campus) and it's not a hassle at all - there's a bus service that runs between the two campuses that costs 50p per ticket (but you have to buy tickets in batches of 10 for it to be that price) so it's not expensive :biggrin: Taking the train would be a bit more of a hassle, as each campus is about a 20 minute walk from the stations and it's about a 15 minute train journey.
Original post by bd95
I know quite a few people who do this, but the other way around (live in Bognor and come to the Chi campus) and it's not a hassle at all - there's a bus service that runs between the two campuses that costs 50p per ticket (but you have to buy tickets in batches of 10 for it to be that price) so it's not expensive :biggrin: Taking the train would be a bit more of a hassle, as each campus is about a 20 minute walk from the stations and it's about a 15 minute train journey.

Thanks so much! You have helped me come to my decision :smile:
Whats the nightlife like in Chichester? I've been told there aren't many places to go, but do students ever go to places such as Portsmouth, Brighton Southampton etc?
Reply 5
Original post by Gerrard123
Whats the nightlife like in Chichester? I've been told there aren't many places to go, but do students ever go to places such as Portsmouth, Brighton Southampton etc?

To be honest, nightlife in Chichester is quite poor - the student union have things going on every night (Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays are the main nights, with Wednesdays being the night where all the sport societies go out, although non sporty people can still go out).

On Thursdays, Bognor Pier have Sheiks, which is really popular with students from Chi uni. The uni provides transport down to Bognor for I think it's £1.50

There's also a club called 'Thursdays' which runs on Tuesdays and Wednesdays which is apparently really good. I think it's in a field.

Some of my flatmates go to Portsmouth for nights out, and have said it's really good.

There are loads of pubs and restaurants, for when you just want to chill out and not listen to loud and repetitive music though haha
Reply 6
Original post by TheBigJosh
Are you disappointed by only managing to go to Chichester? At 76th in the league tables, it's a poor university if we're honest.

I got accepted into "better" universities, but didn't want to be too far away from home and I preferred the course here than at other places I looked at.
Original post by bd95
I got accepted into "better" universities, but didn't want to be too far away from home and I preferred the course here than at other places I looked at.

I see. I would have taken a more academic and mature approach and gone to the institution with the best academic reputation for my course, regardless of distance. Suppose that's where my intelligence comes in. I'm sure Chichester is nice! :smile:
Ahh fair enough! I'm just in a dilemma where I've always wanted the "uni life" but the course that I'm doing in Chichester is meant to be very good, and I live across the country so I'm stuck on whether I will actually enjoy. Advice?
Reply 9
Original post by Gerrard123
Ahh fair enough! I'm just in a dilemma where I've always wanted the "uni life" but the course that I'm doing in Chichester is meant to be very good, and I live across the country so I'm stuck on whether I will actually enjoy. Advice?

I mean, I know one or two people that regretted coming here because they wanted a better nightlife, but they've managed with what they've got - the fact it's a small university means you get to know a lot of people from various courses so you always have stuff to do whether it's at the SU, in someone's building/house, or at a pub.
Once a year the uni put on a fancy dress pub crawl (RAG Race) for charity down in Bognor which is supposed to be fun (I didn't go this year though)
Hey! I've just made my accommodation choices, and I preferably want self catered as I'm a very fussy eater, but there wasn't really enough choices for that so I put catered down for my last two options. I don't know if you had catered or self catered, but do you know what sort of food the catered halls have, and is there still kitchen facilities in catered halls so I could cook something if I want to? Thanks!
Reply 11
Original post by chloebrand
Hey! I've just made my accommodation choices, and I preferably want self catered as I'm a very fussy eater, but there wasn't really enough choices for that so I put catered down for my last two options. I don't know if you had catered or self catered, but do you know what sort of food the catered halls have, and is there still kitchen facilities in catered halls so I could cook something if I want to? Thanks!

Hey :biggrin:
I'm in catered halls, so I get breakfast and dinner Mon-Fri, and then brunch on weekends (and we have to cook our own dinner on the weekends). Breakfast is a choice between cooked items (sausage, bacon, egg, baked beans, hash browns, tomatoes), or cereal, fruit, porridge, toast. You can have 5 items for breakfast, plus juice and a tea/coffee. Dinner's on a weekly menu, and the food is actually pretty good quality - there's always three options per day (plus a veggie option), and you get a dessert and a drink as well.

Catered halls do get a kitchen, but you don't get an oven and it's quite small (you have hobs though, so cooking is possible). Also get a microwave, freezer, fridge, toaster, and obviously cupboards. This is what catered halls kitchens look like:
IMAG0016.jpg
Original post by bd95
I finish my first year on 9th May and I'm doing English. I lived on campus in halls for this year, and next year I'll be living in a house with three other girls.

Hiya just wanted your advice for the stuff I need to get for when I move in. As I've been allocated a room (hopefully its self catered and en suite) so I'm not quite sure of the bits and pieces they provide.
Any advice/help would be Uber useful please :smile: Thanks xx
Reply 13
Original post by Steffis27
Hiya just wanted your advice for the stuff I need to get for when I move in. As I've been allocated a room (hopefully its self catered and en suite) so I'm not quite sure of the bits and pieces they provide.
Any advice/help would be Uber useful please :smile: Thanks xx

hey :biggrin:

the room will come with a bed, wardrobe, desk, chair, a bin, shelves, a lamp, and that's about it. in the bathroom there'll be a mirror and usually a toilet brush, along with a shower (w/ shower curtain), a bin, and a toilet - so for the bedroom I'd recommend a doorstop (because the doors automatically shut and lock unless propped open, and in the first few days it's good so people can come in and talk to you), hangers for the wardrobe (because there are never any left), pins to put things on the cork board, bedding (obviously), and maybe something that could be a conversation starter? that one's not the most important, but a poster, toy, or a picture with a story behind it is quite a good way to make friends :smile:

for the bathroom, obviously shampoo and all that, a few towels, a mat to put on the floor so it doesn't get wet, and toilet roll because they don't provide that.

for the kitchen you'll need everything - plates, bowls, cutlery, dish cloths, washing up liquid, kitchen roll, bleach, sponges. with some things, split the cost or take turns in buying it so there aren't arguments

also, one thing I found useful is to bring something that other people might not have - something like Febreze - so people can go to you for help basically (not ideal for everyone, but it's nice to feel valued haha)
Original post by bd95
hey :biggrin:

the room will come with a bed, wardrobe, desk, chair, a bin, shelves, a lamp, and that's about it. in the bathroom there'll be a mirror and usually a toilet brush, along with a shower (w/ shower curtain), a bin, and a toilet - so for the bedroom I'd recommend a doorstop (because the doors automatically shut and lock unless propped open, and in the first few days it's good so people can come in and talk to you), hangers for the wardrobe (because there are never any left), pins to put things on the cork board, bedding (obviously), and maybe something that could be a conversation starter? that one's not the most important, but a poster, toy, or a picture with a story behind it is quite a good way to make friends :smile:

for the bathroom, obviously shampoo and all that, a few towels, a mat to put on the floor so it doesn't get wet, and toilet roll because they don't provide that.

for the kitchen you'll need everything - plates, bowls, cutlery, dish cloths, washing up liquid, kitchen roll, bleach, sponges. with some things, split the cost or take turns in buying it so there aren't arguments

also, one thing I found useful is to bring something that other people might not have - something like Febreze - so people can go to you for help basically (not ideal for everyone, but it's nice to feel valued haha)

:biggrin: Oh thank you so much. I've already started stocking up on Everything I could think of. Now when you say Everything for the kitchen. Do you mean pots and pans too? And yes I have Loads of room sprays but I'll stock up on febreeze too. And I have an Amazing canvas of Red Riding Hood and The Wolf, that is currently above my bed atm. And also I have a magnetic board for memos, I also have 3 storage box/seats for my dvds, cds and other bits. When Im there you're more than welcome to come and see my picture :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
:biggrin: Oh thank you so much. I've already started stocking up on Everything I could think of. Now when you say Everything for the kitchen. Do you mean pots and pans too? And yes I have Loads of room sprays but I'll stock up on febreeze too. And I have an Amazing canvas of Red Riding Hood and The Wolf, that is currently above my bed atm. And also I have a magnetic board for memos, I also have 3 storage box/seats for my dvds, cds and other bits. When Im there you're more than welcome to come and see my picture :smile:

yes to the pots and pans! small things like a bottle opener (you'll get one at freshers fair anyway) and a screwdriver are always handy as well - ice cube tray might be useful as it can get pretty hot in Chichester and a cold drink is bliss

(self catered halls have four people sharing a kitchens so it's quite nice)

one thing the uni doesn't like is pinning or sticking things to walls as paint may come off and they'll have to repaint it (which you'd get charged for) - blu tack is usually fine, but white tack doesn't seem to take paint off and doesn't leave a mark so is better :smile: also there's a big cork board to pin stuff to

I'll be around campus on move in day so we may cross paths :P

what course have you applied for?
Heya sorry I haven't replied till now. Been a really busy week at work, and shattered at home. I will be studying Theatre Performance (BA Hons) and im Really looking forward to it!!! Just bought some new pans and also a 3 way multicooker. :biggrin: So that's some bits sorted. Mostly been getting stuff for the Sonisphere fest next month!! Realllly excited it's my first festival ever!!! But we'll deffo cross paths im sure and I look forward to meeting you, do you think my canvas will sit ok on a unit? :smile:
Reply 17
Heya sorry I haven't replied till now. Been a really busy week at work, and shattered at home. I will be studying Theatre Performance (BA Hons) and im Really looking forward to it!!! Just bought some new pans and also a 3 way multicooker. :biggrin: So that's some bits sorted. Mostly been getting stuff for the Sonisphere fest next month!! Realllly excited it's my first festival ever!!! But we'll deffo cross paths im sure and I look forward to meeting you, do you think my canvas will sit ok on a unit? :smile:

I've never been to a festival haha - although that's a good conversation starter if you keep the wristband and pin it to your wall (or keep it on idk) or something, and there's bound to be other freshers that also went :smile:

On move in day in the evening, there's a welcome party at the SU which is freshers only (and welcome reps) which I'll be at and considering there's not many welcome reps it won't be too hard to find me (and we'll stick out bc we have red t-shirts as far as I know) :P

Should easily fit yeah, there's a bedside table it could go on and the desks are pretty big so plenty of room!
Hi, coming to Chichester Uni in Sept. Coming from Gibraltar so not a UK student although just been in Birmingham for 2 yrs at UCB getting my btec. I wanted a catered room but only got a self catering room. Food. Can you get a meal plan and pay in advance like my friend has done in Chester Uni? i can't find any info on their webpage
thanks
Reply 19
Original post by charlieboygib
Hi, coming to Chichester Uni in Sept. Coming from Gibraltar so not a UK student although just been in Birmingham for 2 yrs at UCB getting my btec. I wanted a catered room but only got a self catering room. Food. Can you get a meal plan and pay in advance like my friend has done in Chester Uni? i can't find any info on their webpage
thanks

hey sorry for the massive delay in replying - I'm not too sure on if you'd be able to get an actual meal plan if you're self catered, but you can go to the canteen and buy breakfast and dinner from there each day if you want to

Quick Reply

Latest