The Student Room Group

Women not as funny as men-Biology or Patriarchy (smash it!)?

Poll

So is it biological or patriarchal oppression?

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-ways-were-programmed-to-think-women-arent-funny/

More feminist madness: we are "programmed to think women aren't funny"

Some women are funny as any men. Not many though. Comedy's about the gap between the facade and the reality. Women, most of them, are into makeup. Into concealer, not revealer. That's why comedy is dominated by men - a far higher percentage of them have the mentality for it. Another reason is that men are more intelligent than women, on average, and much more aggressive. Feminists won't like that because it reflects biological truth they are ideologically compelled to reject, but for folks unafraid of facts and actual thinking, there's the answer.

Funny women are as funny as any men, there just will never be as many of them as there are very funny men, and that's for biological rather than cultural reasons.

Scroll to see replies

It's because of social constructs. :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by FriendlyLiberal
It's because of social constructs. :redface:

I knew you'd say that.

Read this absurd feminist assertion for some laughs. :

"So kids will laugh at pretty much anything, but what about producing humor themselves? In a landmark study, one researcher found that women make the same number of jokes as men -- when they're children. But around age 6, something changes; the number of jokes girls make decreases, and it never evens out again. That's because, around the time girls start school, society gives them a joking lobotomy, so to speak. Think back to elementary school. You probably had a class clown, and it was almost certainly a boy. Boys are allowed to be loud and funny and play practical jokes and be annoying little ****s, and girls are encouraged to act like little ladies. And ladies sit quietly and decidedly do not draw attention to themselves through loud jokes or pranks."

As usual completely unsubstantiated claims are permitted when they are arguing their position, but reams of peer reviewed studies are always demanded as a refutation

:rolleyes:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-ways-were-programmed-to-think-women-arent-funny/
(edited 9 years ago)
That's stupid, I and a lot of women agree that other women aren't funny.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sallyjimjam
Read this absurd feminist assertion for some laughs.

It's not absurd. It agrees that social constructs / the Patriarchy are to blame. :tongue:

Original post by NothingToSeeHere
That's stupid, I and a lot of women agree that other women aren't funny.

NO. That is a limiting belief. You have been oppressed by the Patriarchy into those misguided views. Women can do anything men can do! We are strong and independent! We are women: hear us roar! :hugs:
It's not absurd. It agrees that social constructs / the Patriarchy are to blame. :tongue:

NO. That is a limiting belief. You have been oppressed by the Patriarchy into those misguided views. Women can do anything men can do! We are strong and independent! We are women: hear us roar! :hugs:

We all know you're a troll. Gosh, stop with the dramatics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
It's not absurd. It agrees that social constructs / the Patriarchy are to blame.

Class clowns aren't "allowed" to do anything, quite the opposite. they dont care what the rules are. a certain percentage of boys is like that.

Public schools are staffed with feminists, little 'change agents' who think exactly the way the feminist comedian writing the article does. Leftists always act as though their enemy is in charge of institutions whilst the truth is THEY ARE, that way they can blame someone rather than confronting biology. all we hear about is schools literally DRUGGING boys to get them to shut up and act docile like girls.

You truly have to be an ideological idiot not to realize the sexual difference is there naturally. society ACTUALLY teaches against it, but it just won't go away. this stupid clown writes as though Ritalin-world doesn't exist.

Yeah, find one teacher out there "allowing" boys to be class clowns.

If they spent less time complaining and more time writing jokes than maybe this wouldn't be an issue ...
I am pretty sure that girls can be as funny as boys but in my experience, I have met more funny boys than girls. Maybe due to society or gender roles as we grow up?
I think it's a bit of both. I would agree that because of the different mindsets of males and females, males tend to be funnier. However, I also think that you don't see as many funny females because society expects them to behave in a certain way.

edit: I think stating that males are more intelligent is stupid. There have been lots of experiments with different conclusions so no one can really say that for sure. You can have that opinion but don't state it like it's a fact because it just isn't.
(edited 9 years ago)
Personally, I'm absolutely ****ing hilarious.

Maybe I'm a man :dontknow:.
Reply 11
Original post by PricklyPorcupine
I am pretty sure that girls can be as funny as boys but in my experience, I have met more funny boys than girls. Maybe due to society or gender roles as we grow up?

Original post by LCRMG
I think it's a bit of both. I would agree that because of the different mindsets of males and females, males tend to be funnier. However, I also think that you don't see as many funny females because society expects them to behave in a certain way.

Why do posters steam into these threads and not debate the points that have been made?

I have already addressed all this: care to actually comment on what has been said?
Women can be funny too, my best friends (all female) are the funniest people I know.
Class clowns aren't "allowed" to do anything, quite the opposite. they dont care what the rules are. a certain percentage of boys is like that.

Public schools are staffed with feminists, little 'change agents' who think exactly the way the feminist comedian writing the article does. Leftists always act as though their enemy is in charge of institutions whilst the truth is THEY ARE, that way they can blame someone rather than confronting biology. all we hear about is schools literally DRUGGING boys to get them to shut up and act docile like girls.

You truly have to be an ideological idiot not to realize the sexual difference is there naturally. society ACTUALLY teaches against it, but it just won't go away. this stupid clown writes as though Ritalin-world doesn't exist.

I once heard a teacher tell two girls "I'd expect that sort of behaviour from boys but not from girls". Boys can push the boundaries more as it's expected whereas smaller offences from girls are more likely to be picked up on because it's not what they're supposed to do.
Reply 14
Original post by ArtGoblin
I once heard a teacher tell two girls "I'd expect that sort of behaviour from boys but not from girls". Boys can push the boundaries more as it's expected whereas smaller offences from girls are more likely to be picked up on because it's not what they're supposed to do.

And i'll reiterate the first paragraph again:

Muse over what the actually means for a second.

This is the problem with students nowadays: they don't actually think about the meaning of what they have just read
Reply 15
Yep everything's a social construct.
Feminists are often funny. They don't always mean to be.

As a former class clown, some teachers are tolerant of it if they are cool and have the class well under control. I had a couple of good science teachers who tolerated the odd joke. Would they have done if it was a girl making the jokes? Probably, but the whole idea of a female class clown is just odd.

It's a good question (albeight a bit pointless to ask when you refuse to listen to any contrary arguments). I think it's probably a combination, but we don't understand the human brain well enough to give a definitive answer. What I would say is, while I don't know any women who I think are as funny as me, I also don't know any who try to be funny as much as I do. I think there's definitely a social element- women don't care about being funny as much as men do. It was an important part of social acceptance for me- just being a bit cheeky to a teacher could get the whole class laughing, which is a really good feeling.
Original post by puma21
Yep everything's a social construct.

Finally someone who gets it! :flutter: It's good to have another reasonable person in this thread. :yeah:
Perhaps this will help:

[video="youtube;9aX26k5ZNzI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aX26k5ZNzI[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending