The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS level Unit 3B: Chemistry Laboratory Skills I Alternative May 7 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Which ion in the flame test gives yellow-red?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Miffyy
Which ion in the flame test gives yellow-red?

whenever they mention yellow red in brakets they also write (Brick Red) which automatically tells you its Calcium ion :smile:
no one has notes? or at least can someone list the experiments? :frown:
guys new question from may 13

Using the same equipment, together with a stop clock, suggest a procedure
that would improve the accuracy of this experiment by obtaining a more accurate
temperature change. You must use the same mass of zinc powder and the same
volume of 1.00 mol dm–3 copper(II) sulfate solution.

like can you please explain step by step properly on what to do and not just list points from the mark scheme.. this question is weeeird!

thanks
Original post by Paras Agarwal

like can you please explain step by step properly on what to do and not just list points from the mark scheme.. this question is weeeird!

thanks

also why draw a cooling curve...i know what it is i need the explanation..helppp

thanks

1. take several measurements of temp of cuso4 solution before adding Zn metal
2. at 3.5 mins exactly add zn and continue taking the measurements of temp for 10 mins.
3. draw a graph of temp. and time
4.extrapolate graph at exactly 3.5 mins to get the highest temp that could be reached.

soo i guess , if i understood correctly, that instead of having a stop watch in ur hand , and putting Zn powder into the solution and then quickly hold the thermometer and measure initial and final temp (which will be inaccurate ) , just use a graph to extrapolate which will be much more accurate. As the first method u wont be fast enough and accurate enough to measure the highest temp reached (final temp.)

i hope u understood something :biggrin: i explain really bad :frown:
Original post by sorabackwards
no one has notes? or at least can someone list the experiments? :frown:

Hey i have some notes ! Learn everything i've attached and don't worry.
Original post by mr osaka
1. take several measurements of temp of cuso4 solution before adding Zn metal
2. at 3.5 mins exactly add zn and continue taking the measurements of temp for 10 mins.
3. draw a graph of temp. and time
4.extrapolate graph at exactly 3.5 mins to get the highest temp that could be reached.

soo i guess , if i understood correctly, that instead of having a stop watch in ur hand , and putting Zn powder into the solution and then quickly hold the thermometer and measure initial and final temp (which will be inaccurate ) , just use a graph to extrapolate which will be much more accurate. As the first method u wont be fast enough and accurate enough to measure the highest temp reached (final temp.)

i hope u understood something :biggrin: i explain really bad :frown:

ohhh now i get it! thanks bruh! :smile:
Reply 68

thanks

•pipette out 50cm3 of copper (ll) sulfate into a polystyrene cup and start stopwatch and measure the temperature simultaneously.

•record the temperature every 3 minutes. At 3.5 minute add solid and stir the mixture.

•then measure temperature from 4th minute to 10th minute.

•plot a graph of temperature against time. Connect the points before addition of solid and extrapolate it to the time of adding the solid. Connect the points after adding the solid and extra Polate back to the time of adding

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by angelom1994
Hey i have some notes ! Learn everything i've attached and don't worry.

ty so much :3 i already have 2 of em but the others i didnt so really a great help (y) thanks
Reply 70
Can someone please attach the required drawings for the exam ?
thanks in advance
Reply 71
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1399401734.881458.jpg

Can someone please answer all these questions? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Miffyy
•pipette out 50cm3 of copper (ll) sulfate into a polystyrene cup and start stopwatch and measure the temperature simultaneously.

•record the temperature every 3 minutes. At 3.5 minute add solid and stir the mixture.

•then measure temperature from 4th minute to 10th minute.

•plot a graph of temperature against time. Connect the points before addition of solid and extrapolate it to the time of adding the solid. Connect the points after adding the solid and extra Polate back to the time of adding

Posted from TSR Mobile

okay thank you! :smile:
new question from JAN 14! the IR SPECTRUM! does anyone have any logical proper wonderful explanation as to why the spectrum is for Hex-5-en-1ol and not for the cycloalkene??? i mean it could correspond to both but the cycloalkene is like 90 percent correct in my opinion

but the mark scheme says its the latter :redface: help?
Reply 74
Original post by Miffyy
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1399401734.881458.jpg

Can someone please answer all these questions? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

((( Answers for first page )))

1- method is distillation so use the distillation drawing

equation is

2-heat under reflux

b) 1)

Reply 75
@Miffyy my answers are being checked by moderators, sorry !! :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
new question from JAN 14! the IR SPECTRUM! does anyone have any logical proper wonderful explanation as to why the spectrum is for Hex-5-en-1ol and not for the cycloalkene??? i mean it could correspond to both but the cycloalkene is like 90 percent correct in my opinion

but the mark scheme says its the latter :redface: help?

I had the same question. Let's take it from the top. The largest peak corresponds to O-H so could be either, then the second largest = C-H , again could be either then there's a third one on the far right which corresponds to C=C . And i guess that eliminates the cyclic alcohol because it only has single C-C bonds
Learning how to spell phenolphthalein is my biggest personal achievement this year
Reply 78
Original post by Dangel
@Miffyy my answers are being checked by moderators, sorry !! :frown:

Can you inbox it to me? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
guys!!!
do u know why we use anti bumping granules when distilling or doing reflux

it is inorder to ensure that the distrubtion of the heat is equally in the solution or the mixture being heated up
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest