The Student Room Group

Why do young people get into relationships?

I know the obvious they have feelings for each other etc but I don't understand why people in their teens or early 20's have boyfriends or girlfriends. It doesn't make sense really because relationships when you're young hardly ever work out but if you hadn't been with them till like 28 it could have worked out.

Do you agree?

Scroll to see replies

Idk, I guess it's not just the end goal you think about when you get into a relationship, it's as much about the experience. Not dating anyone until 28 would be boring, at least for me, and anyway for teenagers it's mainly about hormones etc :smile:
Probably due to boredom, from what I've seen.
Because they want to?

And if it's going to work out with that person come late 20s you need to endure you're still in some kind of contact. If you meet your future spouse at uni for example (pretty common), it seems a but odd to say 'Let's keep living in the same sort of geographical area and structuring our lives around our future successful relationship whilst remaining single'.
Well, from what I've gathered of today's youth it's not even proper relationships, there's facing, meeting, casual etc.

You're either going out or not, I'm getting really hard to keep up with the young ones (and I'm only 19!)
No I don't agree. I could easily flip your whole argument on its head. Why shouldn't they? Isn't it the best way of finding what they like/dislike ready for 'the one'?
So what am I supposed to do then? have drunken one-night-stands? I've never had one, nor been near to one, not of my own volition.
I know a couple who've been with each other since they were both 15. They are now 26, still together, have a child, and are as happy as any couple I've seen. It all depends on the people involved, a lot of people wouldn't be mature enough for a serious relationship at that age, but evidently there are exceptions.
Reply 8
Why does anyone get into a relationship, that's the real question. Unless you're getting married, of course.
I don't agree. I kind of feel like if it works, it works and if it doesn't, you learn from it.

There's no guarantee that any relationship will work out, even if you meet someone when you're older, so then you could question the point in ever having one.
Reply 10
I think this is a really bitter and ignorant perspective, frankly.

One user on here got into a relationship with her - now husband, and father of her children - at 17, they are now in their late thirties I believe.

If everyone below 28 were to have the opinion of 'it's not going to last, say statistics', how depressing would that be? How would that ever work? everyone would be inexperienced with regards to what a real relationship entails. We'd have 28 year olds breaking up because of the silliest little things.

Just because you haven't experienced a great relationship in this age bracket it doesn't really mean they are without use or enjoyment. Sex, company, safety, support, experimentation, love (?!!), adventures, friendship, family... do none of these things matter, then?

There is nothing wrong with young love. Yes, there is something wrong with throwing away your youth and wanting to grow up and be 'adults/happy families' too quickly, but that's not what you're putting forward.
I've been in a long term relationship since I was 17 and I'm 22 next month and I honestly don't feel as though missed out on anything. We have lived together since we were 18 and 19 and were best friends before dating. What would I have done if I were single? Missed out on sleeping about with other guys? That just isn't me. Or going out with friends? I still do that.

Yeah a lot of young relationships don't work out just like a lot of 'mature' relationships don't work out either. I've got nothing against young people going out at a young age. Even if it doesn't last, they will at least learn what they like and don't like and have experience for future relationships.
And if a young person doesn't want a relationship til they are older, that's perfectly fine too. I don't think there is any right or wrong age to start a relationship because age is one thing but things like maturity and how committed they are play bigger parts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by kayleighisonfire
I know the obvious they have feelings for each other etc but I don't understand why people in their teens or early 20's have boyfriends or girlfriends. It doesn't make sense really because relationships when you're young hardly ever work out but if you hadn't been with them till like 28 it could have worked out.

Do you agree?

I Totally Agree

In my family we are waiting like 25 to start these kind of stuff,you need to have a stable job,in my opinion it's useless to have girlfriends and have sex before marriage....

Now days you see kids having kids...
Reply 13
Original post by Vithux
I Totally Agree

In my family we are waiting like 25 to start these kind of stuff,you need to have a stable job,in my opinion it's useless to have girlfriends and have sex before marriage....

Now days you see kids having kids...

You think it's useless to have a best friend and sex buddy all wrapped up in one?
May I ask if your family's perspective is influenced by religion and/or culture?

Mothers have got older. The average age of a mother in 1971 was 26.6, and this had risen to 29.3 in 2008. By age group, the highest numbers of births were by women in their early twenties in 1971. This had changed to their late twenties and early thirties by 2009. In contrast, the number of women having babies before age 20 has halved. (Source: ONS, 2011)
Original post by kayleighisonfire

Do you agree?

So you learn the mistakes when you're young and when the consequences aren't as life threatening. And to get a better understanding on who you want to spend the rest of your life with, settle down and have kids with etc.
Well, the obvious reason is "It's fun!!!!"

Aside from that, what is the OP's opinion on someone in my position? I'm 20, my boyfriend is 33. Is the relationship valid and worthwhile for him, because he's over 28, but not for me, because I'm in my early 20s?

Also, if we stay together until I'm 28, is the relationship any more valid then than it was for the previous 11 years?
Reply 16
Original post by Vithux
Seriousely it's wrong a 'sex buddy' wtf????

u could catch aids/or worst have a baby....

Yeah I know right, jeez, I've already had 6 abortions and sooo many STDs, can't even count them, I should get a loyalty card for the GUM clinic. It's just a irresponsible sexual minefield out here in long term relationship world!

My first boyfriend (and only boyfriend I've had) was someone who I really liked and I liked him so much that I didn't want to be with him because I thought that we were too young and that relationships don't usually work out any ways when you're teenagers. AND I have now proved myself right, they don't work out. What with education and trying to make your own pathway in life. It is much better to establish yourself as an individual (in my opinion) before letting someone else into your life. I won't be having another relationship until I've finished uni and am happy with my career and life.
Reply 18
I'm sure many have said it before, it's to find out what you want from a relationship. It's ok to make mistakes and fall out and try again when you're young, as with all aspects of life [[At least, the ones you can do when growing up]]. You learn a lot from failed relationships, you pick up the pieces, realise where it went wrong [[Maybe you said something, maybe they simply weren't in tune with you, maybe they're actually really nasty]] and move on.

I learnt from the first one that I shouldn't go into a relationship when it's based on sympathy, the second I had to know more before asking, the third was not enough emotion and only lust, and it is at which point that I knew that I wanted a relationship with more of an emotional and mental connection, so for the past two and a half years (exactly) I've been in a relationship with that, and I'm almost 21.

There are many ways to mature, physically happens naturally, but mentally you have to learn, and it's for that reason why relationships when you're young isn't that terrible of an idea after all. But it does help to teach them what to watch out for and how to respect others. So with these reasons I would have to disagree :smile:
Reply 19
No. Its not that common but some people do meet the right person when they're in their teens/early 20s; my friend has been with her now husband since she was 16 (shes 29 and hes 31 now), another is 28 and has been with her partner since she was 17 and my parents met at 17 and 18, got married at 19 and 20 and remained so until my dad died. And as others said if people didn't get into relationships until their late 20s then many would probably just make the same mistakes many young people make in regards to relationships/dating but at a later age.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending