The Student Room Group

Good Second Cars??

So, after you've been passed for a couple of years or so and your insurance has come down quite a bit, and you perhaps decide to trade in your faithful first car because face it, it's a bit naff, what model would you be looking at and what price range?

It seems the KA, the corsa and the fiat 500 are popular 'first time' cars, where I go to sixth form. What do you think are good 'second time' cars?

im 17, drive a 1.2 2011 KA for £1,400 a year w/ black box. Hopefully I might be able to find a similar insurance quote without a black box in the near future :smile: purely because I feel like a mug being in the left lane of motorways doing 70 and getting overtaken by everyone. Oh, and doing motorway driving brings down my driver rating, as does doing 60 on open, dry country roads :/
You're 17. Just be glad you can drive lol

Anything with more power will be prohibitive expensive
My first car was a cheap **** Volvo 164 and then moved on to an Austin Metro, drove it for a year plus and then bought an Alfa Romeo 145 1.7l which was a big change as it was new and a fairly quick car. Quite liked the VW Golf GTI of that era which would have been the Mk3 then but the Alfa Romeo won me over for its styling.
Well I've just bought my 2nd car, I'm picking it up on Saturday! Can't wait :smile:

It's a big upgrade for me going from a 1.4 Polo to a 1.8 Civic, car felt sublime on the test drive so in the end it was an easy decision :smile: At least I won't have to worry about motorway driving anymore as this car will (obviously) easily do 70mph whereas my Polo struggled to do 60mph. Just need to decide what to do with my first car now, I'm thinking the local auction or scrapping it.
Reply 4
I'm probably going to replace my car when its MOT is up in November. Looking at all sorts at the moment £5k can get you a lot of car if you look around and aren't afraid of well maintained but high mileage cars.
Original post by Robbo-92
Well I've just bought my 2nd car, I'm picking it up on Saturday! Can't wait :smile:

It's a big upgrade for me going from a 1.4 Polo to a 1.8 Civic, car felt sublime on the test drive so in the end it was an easy decision :smile: At least I won't have to worry about motorway driving anymore as this car will (obviously) easily do 70mph whereas my Polo struggled to do 60mph. Just need to decide what to do with my first car now, I'm thinking the local auction or scrapping it.

You'll love it mate!

I recently went from my 1st car (1.4 ZR) to my 2nd car (2.0 Clio). It is a world apart in terms of everything; speed, handling, acceleration and most importantly FUN!
Original post by Robbo-92

1.8l civic? the saloon or the furistic one with triangular exhausts?
I went from a Hyundai Getz 1.1 when I was 17 (great little car)>Mazda 626 2.0 GSI and now I drive a 260hp Volvo with sat nav/leather and im only 20!! Its all about picking the right car, you would be surprised what you can get, im not from a wealthy background or anything I just saved my money and bought the car for £2600 and the insurance cost me £780 (Aviva fully comp). Although where you live can severely change insurance prices!! Just make sure you have no accidents, convictions and stay on the insurers good side!!

Oh and another thing, don't get sucked in with these finance deals on new cars, they lock you in, and can get very expensive!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Iqbal007
1.8l civic? the saloon or the furistic one with triangular exhausts?

Triangle exhausts all the way!
Original post by DotDotCurve
You'll love it mate!

I recently went from my 1st car (1.4 ZR) to my 2nd car (2.0 Clio). It is a world apart in terms of everything; speed, handling, acceleration and most importantly FUN!

Yeah, its just so much more lively to drive, much better than my polo!
I have a Skoda Octavia Diesel as my 2nd car. Although I'm tempted by a Redtop Vauxhall of some sort for the weekends

Quick Reply

Latest