Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

American Sport Thread

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Given your terrible rotation and bullpen, I just can't see the Red Sox winning more than a few games in a row. And you need a long winning streak to get back into contention. I wouldn't be surprised if you finished the season below the Blue Jays.

Lester's been terrible since the all-star break. Their only decent pitchers now are Schilling and Wells (and potentially Beckett, but that's outweighed by the potential of Wells flopping).
    I dunno if i'd call the rotation "terrible" just yet, schilling and wells looked good in their starts, and lester looked good tonight. The bullpen is awful though, only papelbon and timlin when he's playing well are worth keeping. People are way too quick to jump on Beckett though, the guys won 14 games!

Don't think we'll finish below the bluejays but if we do the team will look *so* different next year... hopefully it will anyway considering the likes of Zito, Schmidt, Hunter and Dunn are all damn good free agents, hopefully we can get a couple of them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yer i think you will need them, i head the Yankees were in for Zito aswell, but he did say he didnt want to play in New York (Damon said the same) so i wouldnt read much into that. Yankees are also looking at Matsunaka a Japanese(I think) pitcher you is pretty dangerous to hitters.

Good game last night anyway, Wang was getting the sinker down so the ground balls were coming. Although i think we have a curse at 3rd base, we played Green there (Probably because of the fact A-Rods defense is awfull and Wang is a ground ball pitcher) and he also commited an error lol
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apollo)
    I dunno if i'd call the rotation "terrible" just yet, schilling and wells looked good in their starts, and lester looked good tonight. The bullpen is awful though, only papelbon and timlin when he's playing well are worth keeping. People are way too quick to jump on Beckett though, the guys won 14 games!

Don't think we'll finish below the bluejays but if we do the team will look *so* different next year... hopefully it will anyway considering the likes of Zito, Schmidt, Hunter and Dunn are all damn good free agents, hopefully we can get a couple of them.
    Where exactly would Hunter play? You already have Crisp in CF. You could have Dunn. Just another power hitter, who can't hit if his life depended on it. Guys like that will never win you the pennant. You need people who walk a lot, have a decent average, don't strike out too much, and don't hit into double-plays. Dunn doesn't meet any of those requirements. Schmidt is good, but only in the NL. All the recent NL pitchers who moved to the AL have been terrible (see Beckett). Zito would be perfect both the Yankees and the Red Sox. It should be interesting to see who gets him.

And people have been jumping on Beckett because he's terrible. Look at his ERA. And look at his ERA and win-loss record against the Yankees and the Blue Jays. He plain sucks.

The Yankees rotation can use a lot of help though. Next season it should be:

1. Mussina
    2. Wang
    3. GET SOMEONE GEORGE
    4. Lidle
    5. Karstens/Clippard/Hughes
    Please get hit by a truck: Pavano/Wright/Johnson
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A different rotation would be nice, but in all liklyness it will be this:

1) Johnson
    2) Mussina
    3) Zito/Matsunaka
    4) Wang
    5) Pavano

Lidle wont be picked up as his contract only runs through this year, Johnson still has a year to go, we will resign Mussina and probably sign Zito or Matsuzaka. I doubt the Yankees will pick up Wrights option unless he shows something incredible over the last couple of months. Keep in mind we have to pick up Rivera's option as his contract finishes after this season, as does Villones and Dotels
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cano234)
    A different rotation would be nice, but in all liklyness it will be this:

1) Johnson
    2) Mussina
    3) Zito/Matsunaka
    4) Wang
    5) Pavano

Lidle wont be picked up as his contract only runs through this year, Johnson still has a year to go, we will resign Mussina and probably sign Zito or Matsuzaka. I doubt the Yankees will pick up Wrights option unless he shows something incredible over the last couple of months. Keep in mind we have to pick up Rivera's option as his contract finishes after this season, as does Villones and Dotels
    No way does Johnson deserve to be anywhere near the number 1 spot. Unlike he pitches like he did 5 years ago in this postseason, I can't see him being anything better than number 3. I expect Wang to be #2, unless he undergoes a monumental collapse. I don't recall too many Japanese pitchers succeeding in their first year, so having Matsuzaka at #3 is a bit too generous (assuming he even signs). We are stuck with Pavano. We really should stop signing crappy pitchers to such long contracts.

Our bullpen has been the only reasonable consistent part of our roster this year. I'm not sure about Dotel, since he still hasn't proved himself since the injury, but resigning Villone and Rivera are a must.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I Will put money on Johnson being the number 1 guy next season, i think Torre aloready came out a few months back and said Johnson is the number 1Guy, 2 will me Moose, and It will be between Wang and the new Guy as to who will be 3 and 4, and Pavano there is pretty much nothing we can do about him, so stick him in the 5th spot and hope he doesnt break a nail.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I can't understand how someone who has an ERA of about 5, and is disastrous 1 in every 3 (if not worse) starts, can be an ace. Even when he's at the top of his game, he can't compare to Mussina or Wang.

I think I'd prefer Pavano did break his nail, so we could rotate our top prospects in the #5 spot.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I dont want Johnson in that number 1 spot eithr but im pretty sure he will be next season, Hughes will be in that rotation at some point next season i doubt it will be coming out of spring training.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully he'll die from old age before the season starts. Yeah, I doubt he'll make it right away as well. I can't understand why he wasn't promoted to Triple-A by now.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yer i think you will need them, i head the Yankees were in for Zito aswell, but he did say he didnt want to play in New York (Damon said the same) so i wouldnt read much into that. Yankees are also looking at Matsunaka a Japanese(I think) pitcher you is pretty dangerous to hitters.

Good game last night anyway, Wang was getting the sinker down so the ground balls were coming. Although i think we have a curse at 3rd base, we played Green there (Probably because of the fact A-Rods defense is awfull and Wang is a ground ball pitcher) and he also commited an error lol
    Damon is a SOB, period. Apparently the Yanks are desperate for Matsunaka, apparently he has actually thrown a gyroball...

(Original post by Bismarck)
    Where exactly would Hunter play? You already have Crisp in CF. You could have Dunn. Just another power hitter, who can't hit if his life depended on it. Guys like that will never win you the pennant. You need people who walk a lot, have a decent average, don't strike out too much, and don't hit into double-plays. Dunn doesn't meet any of those requirements. Schmidt is good, but only in the NL. All the recent NL pitchers who moved to the AL have been terrible (see Beckett). Zito would be perfect both the Yankees and the Red Sox. It should be interesting to see who gets him.
    We need to get rid of Crisp. Seriously. He's an awful attempt to replace Damon who strikes out way too much for a leadoff man and barely gets on base. I'd be happy to have Dunn even if he can't play D, our in field is damn good as it is. Dunn, Manny, Ortiz and Pena? Sounds good to me. We need Zito way more than you guys, especially if you get Matsunaka.

And people have been jumping on Beckett because he's terrible. Look at his ERA. And look at his ERA and win-loss record against the Yankees and the Blue Jays. He plain sucks.
    He's been off lately, he was awesome at the beginning of the season.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    We wont get both Matsuzaka and Zito it will be one or the other probably, and i think its likerly it will be Matsuzaka.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsptUfnhVcc

And with that type of splitter and that fast ball which you can see in that clip, he is going to be a hell of a player, i really hope we get him.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh and here is the Gyroball for anyone who hasnt seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdr0N9HDptg
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apollo)
    We need to get rid of Crisp. Seriously. He's an awful attempt to replace Damon who strikes out way too much for a leadoff man and barely gets on base. I'd be happy to have Dunn even if he can't play D, our in field is damn good as it is. Dunn, Manny, Ortiz and Pena? Sounds good to me. We need Zito way more than you guys, especially if you get Matsunaka.
    Good luck with getting rid of him. I doubt you'll find any takers. As for Dunn, why would you want a guy who hits under .250 and strikes out God knows how often. You can't win games with the long ball. If you can't get people on base, at best, you'll only score through solo homers, and you're not going to score enough of those to win consistently.

He's been off lately, he was awesome at the beginning of the season.
    He only did well against the Yankees in his first game against them. He got lit up by the Blue Jays the first time he played them, and got lit up by the Yankees every time he played them since that first time. If you need someone to beat Tampa and Baltimore, he's your guy. If you actually want to beat a playoff team, he sucks.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh and here is the Gyroball for anyone who hasnt seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdr0N9HDptg
    Thanks for the link, hadn't seen it before. Didn't look like any special tbh.

Here's another one of some american high school kid who can supposedly throw it- http://static.baseballtoaster.com/bl...ideo/gyro1.mov video is a bit fast but if you click the slider and slow it down you can see how move it moves.

Good luck with getting rid of him. I doubt you'll find any takers. As for Dunn, why would you want a guy who hits under .250 and strikes out God knows how often. You can't win games with the long ball. If you can't get people on base, at best, you'll only score through solo homers, and you're not going to score enough of those to win consistently.
    For Crisp? I'm sure we would. There are plently of below average and poor teams in need of a sub-par lead off man.

As for Dunn, sure he strikes out but just look at the stats: this year he has 33 homers with 75 RBI's, and his 2004 and 2005 seasons were monsters. I'd gladly take him.

He only did well against the Yankees in his first game against them. He got lit up by the Blue Jays the first time he played them, and got lit up by the Yankees every time he played them since that first time. If you need someone to beat Tampa and Baltimore, he's your guy. If you actually want to beat a playoff team, he sucks.
    He pitched damn well tonight, thank you very much:p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For me Beckett is always going to be a touch and go pitcher, sometimes he will look like a CY young candidate, and other times he will look like a Kansas City back end of rotation guy lol but i guess you have to take the good with the bad, can he deal with the pressure?

AS for that gyroball im not sure either, if you look closerly at it when its first released from his hand it looks like it might possibly be one, but its so hard to tell.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    NFL is the best sport on the planet:adore: . Only started watching it last year but was totally hooked ;thumbsup; . Made a lot of money by predicting steelers (now my fav team for winning me a lot of money ;banana2; )

Cantwait for the new season to start.:top:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like the NFL its my secound fave US Sport, or 2nd fave sport at all, Not a fan of the Steelers tho as they knocked us out the play-offs a few years back, never really liked them that much, although i do like Hines Ward and Big Ben.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pocoyo)
    NFL is the best sport on the planet:adore: . Only started watching it last year but was totally hooked ;thumbsup; . Made a lot of money by predicting steelers (now my fav team for winning me a lot of money ;banana2; )

Cantwait for the new season to start.:top:
    NFL is indeed the best sport, Giants are gunna win the superbowl this year methinks
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    *Groans* If we keep playing like this there isn't a chance in hell we make the playoffs, the only pitcher who's looked good lately was Beckett and now he's hurt... along with nixon, veritek, gonzolez, manny, pena etc etc
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Wow, now I know what it feels like for an American to listen to a discussion about the finer points of cricket! )

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 7, 2007
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.