The Student Room Group

deferred insurance offer

Hi
I have been given a deferred offer by a london university to study medicine from 2015. Although I have accepted the offer and it is now my insurance choice, I am thinking that if I don't get the grades for my first choice, it will be very difficult as I will lose a year, and in terms of costs and delay to graduate. Do you think they will be sympathetic if I write to the Uni and request that either they change the offer to the current year 2014 or to even consider changing it in event of another student withdrawal? i don't want to harm my case though. thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by james1000greko
Hi
I have been given a deferred offer by a london university to study medicine from 2015. Although I have accepted the offer and it is now my insurance choice, I am thinking that if I don't get the grades for my first choice, it will be very difficult as I will lose a year, and in terms of costs and delay to graduate. Do you think they will be sympathetic if I write to the Uni and request that either they change the offer to the current year 2014 or to even consider changing it in event of another student withdrawal? i don't want to harm my case though. thanks.

Did you apply for deferred entry?

Personally I'd relish the idea that I could work for the best part of a year and save some money, knowing I would be going to medical school. Though I can appreciate that is a very highly subjective thought process.
Hi
No, I haven't asked for a deferred entry. The idea of taking a gap year doesn't appeal to me as I am anxious to get my studies under way.
Reply 3
Then you've probably been offered it as they didn't have space on this years course but still wanted to offer you a place. I know it seems annoying now but considering the course you're about to start, a bit of a break might be a good idea. Plus you have your firm anyway so may end up there.
Reply 4
Original post by james1000greko
Hi

The chance of ending up at your insurance for Medicine is surely very tiny no?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It sounds like you have an offer from UCL - in which case, that's their way of saying:

"You're a fantastic candidate and we'd love for you to come here - but we're not sure you're mature enough yet to handle the demands of medical school. Take a year out - no pressure - and you can start your degree once you've explored the world a bit"

Just something to consider.
hi
I appreciate what all you are saying but I don't want to lose a year in case I don't get the grades required by my firm offer - as my firm entry offer wants higher grades for AL than UCL. My question had more to do with the manner I approach and ask UCL for a reconsideration in the event of a vacancy arising (how and when). Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending