The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Accepted to go to university to study bio-medical science whilst having an autistic c

Can anyone who is studying this course please tell me your opinion if it is wise to study this course whilst I have a young child with autism, and how long (Hours) on average a week do you put time into your work after university hours,
and if possible does anyone know if i can do this course part time?
Reply 1
i googled up some info on biomed and a lot of people say its not that bad in terms of wkrload. but ive got a couple family members who did biomed and they all say its really difficult and very under recognised degree for the amount of work you put in.

always put family first ahead of education is my opinion as much as education is hyped up by everyone try to come to a decision on youre own, and think whats best for your child thats that should be the main priority by far.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by rio021986
Can anyone who is studying this course please tell me your opinion if it is wise to study this course whilst I have a young child with autism, and how long (Hours) on average a week do you put time into your work after university hours,
and if possible does anyone know if i can do this course part time?

Which University?
Reply 3
Original post by nmjasdk
i googled up some info on biomed and a lot of people say its not that bad in terms of wkrload. but ive got a couple family members who did biomed and they all say its really difficult and very under recognised degree for the amount of work you put in.

always put family first ahead of education is my opinion as much as education is hyped up by everyone try to come to a decision on youre own, and think whats best for your child thats that should be the main priority by far.

ok thank u for your opinion :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Kasa
Which University?

hull university
Reply 5
Original post by rio021986
hull university

Firstly, thank you for your honesty in not only disclosing what university you are going to, but your accompanying issues of parental duties whilst being on the degree itself.
Unfortunately, you have not really given much to work with in terms of information (i.e. how old you are, why you want to the degree, what sort of support you get from your partner, etc). But in terms of advice I can offer the following points:

You really need to question your rationale as to why you are doing the degree. If you are treating the course as mediocre stop gap which the course is widely abused for it is not a good idea and you are unlikely to succeed. If you have genuine passion and a see a future in it, then, by all means, go for it;

Where I did my Biomedical degree, the course was nightmarishly intensive with over 35 hours of lectures and protracted lab sessions. It could vary considerably at Hull, but if that is the case, I would actively discourage doing the course full time in your situation. Speak to your tutors at Hull.

I know I am biased because I hated my biomedical degree feel free to read my explicit and venomous posts about how I hated the wretched thing. However, I wouldn’t actively discourage from doing the course; I would instead question that person’s rationale for pursuing the undergraduate degree. For the context, if you have the intelligence, which you clearly do -- otherwise they wouldn’t have offered you a place-- to survive on the course, the motivation and the appropriate child support, there is no reason why you shouldn’t succeed.
If you don’t have any of these rudimentary factors, then please, for the love of god, don’t do it!
Reply 6
Hi,

The first year is dead easy, lectures were literally one hour a day mon-fri. Im doing biology but shared many fundamental lectures and practicals with the biomeds, and made friends with a few. They did next to nothing and coasted it through, the pass rate is ridiculously low at 40%. As long as you got this from 2 practicals, you didnt even have to turn up to the exam to pass. Most ppl needed just 2/3 questions correct from the exams to pass, and as the first year counts for nothing towards your degree ppl wernt bothered with just getting a pass at 2.2. Obviously, this isnt a very good study ethic, as it will do you no favours for when the course intensifies, but im just telling you how it was last year for the biomeds. x

Quick Reply

Latest