The Student Room Group

Why do illegal immigrants try to come to the UK from France?

Scroll to see replies

Pathetic
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by baconwrappedeggs

More lucrative benfits.
Reply 3
i think it's because the french crack down on illegal immigration with much more force than he Uk
Reply 4
Original post by awais-iqb
i think it's because the french crack down on illegal immigration with much more force than he Uk

This is true. Even in sweden people culturally do not accept immigration well. The London riots were a good example of how PC we are here. During the sweden riots of 2013, hundreds of nationalists skinheads went out and attacked the rioting immigrants with weapons.

Immigrants know the UK has a very soft hand compared to many other places, in virtually every way. So it's sort of understandable why they'd choose to come here :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by McMurdo
This is true. Even in sweden people culturally do not accept immigration well. The London riots were a good example of how PC we are here. During the sweden riots of 2013, hundreds of nationalists skinheads went out and attacked the rioting immigrants with weapons.

Immigrants know the UK has a very soft hand compared to many other places, in virtually every way. So it's sort of understandable why they'd choose to come here :tongue:

yeh i actually have seen this, i know an illegal immigrant from Nigeria, he got caught by the police and they just released him because they were missing some papers, now hes in hiding again lol
Reply 6
Despite the fact that international law would grant us almost complete exemption from asylum (the rule is 'the nearest safe country' - there's no way to get to the UK without going through a safe country) the UK has a long history of being very asylum friendly and generally being generous for humanitarian reasons on the world stage.
It is our benefit system that is the big draw, including housing, education and NHS.
Original post by MatureStudent36
More lucrative benfits.

Original post by arson_fire
Friends/family already here

More immigrant friendly government policies

Reputation for more generous benefits than other european countries.

(Encouraged by the French authorities)

Original post by Old_Simon
It is our benefit system that is the big draw, including housing, education and NHS.

The view that immigrants move to the UK for the welfare state is just mysterious... Based on welfare generosity index, the UK is among the least generous European countries (and certainly less generous than France).
Original post by polscistudent88
The view that immigrants move to the UK for the welfare state is just mysterious... Based on welfare generosity index, the UK is among the least generous European countries (and certainly less generous than France).

Yes but the rules to actually qualify to receive said benefits are really lax in the UK. Have a child or two and a cornucopia of benefits will be provided.
Original post by Old_Simon
Yes but the rules to actually qualify to receive said benefits are really lax in the UK. Have a child or two and a cornucopia of benefits will be provided.

Depends on the metric you use. Crucially we spend the highest % of GDP on welfare in europe and have low qualifying criteria for many of our benefits. What people often forget is that countries like Sweden have more generous welfare systems but the eligibility criteria are much stricter - Sweden requires you to pay into the system for a minimum 12 months before you can claim anything at all. Many benefits here are available from day 1 to certain groups including refugees.

The following countries spend higher % of their GDP on welfare than the UK:
1. Belgium
2. Denmark
3. Germany
4. Ireland (at least in 2010 and 2011)
5. Greece (as for Ireland)
6. France
7. Italy
8. Netherlands
9. Austria
10. Finland
11. Sweden

Source: Eurostat, see http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cache/ITY_PUBLIC/3-21112013-AP/EN/3-21112013-AP-EN.PDF

As for strictness of eligibility criteria, for 2011, an indicator shows that the following (EU) countries were overall less strict than the UK (regarding unemployment benefits):

1. Sweden
2. Cyprus
3. Austria
4. Finland
5. Denmark
6. Germany
7. France
8. Hungary
9. Greece
10. Norway
11. Belgium
12. Poland
13. Bulgaria

Venn, D. 2012. Eligibility Criteria for Unemployment Benefits: Quantitative Indicators for OECD and EU Countries. OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers, No. 131.

Were you guys talking about other benefits? Where did you take your data?
Reply 11
X

I suspect the issue may be perception then.

If people in this country believe it to be more generous than others in Europe.. You can be pretty certain illegal immigrants will have heard the same sort of rumor (despite the stats showing it to be false).
Eurostat figures include the cost of administering the scheme. I used the OECD figures that only count the money actually paid out to the recipients.

OECD Data on Total Social Expenditure as a % of GDP (2006-2013) confirms what I was saying. In the OECD list, the following countries spend more than the UK:

1. Austria
2. Belgium
3. Denmark
4. Finland
5. France
6. Germany
7. Italy
8. Netherlands
9. Portugal
10. Spain
11. Sweden

Original post by Reue

If people in this country believe it to be more generous than others in Europe.. You can be pretty certain illegal immigrants will have heard the same sort of rumor (despite the stats showing it to be false).

I am not convinced about this. My personal guess is that UK economic dynamism and low unemployment rates matter much more. Indeed, among the countries in the above lists, only Germany and Austria have lower unemployment rates than the UK; but they also have lower GDP growth rates.

French benefits stop after a certain time. The UKs don't.
Those figures include private sector spending including private pensions and healthcare. In terms of purely government spending we are the most generous in europe.

No, it is government spending. http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/social-issues-migration-health/government-social-spending_20743904-table1

So if you have different data, please share them. Otherwise it makes no sense to provide similar comments.

The only voice for which the UK spends more than the most generous systems is social housing. On health, unemployment, family, active labour market policy, incapacity, old age and survivors, (as in total) public spending is lower than in other EU countries (as for the latests data available in the OECD database on social expenditure).

Anyways we're going nowhere.
France are more racist than the UK?
RUMOUR! this is not america
Original post by Reue

Rumour! this is not america
Because labour have made our country so that anyone coming to this country is given life-long benefits, house, free healthcare, free education. Basically you could be a criminal or anything but labour do not care, they rely solely on the working class population, migrant population and benefit claimant population for their core vote. Instead of creating their share of the electorate, they import them in and then let them breed like rabbits.
Original post by baconwrappedeggs

Because France is sending them here, to get rid of them.
They don't come here for benefits and safety, this is a lie, the French just don't want them. In fact they used to give them tickets to Britain. Also, Italy buys them tickets to France, simply to get rid of them. No country wants them.

We are the mugs of Europe and rest of the EU is laughing at us. This country is a dumping ground. We are tolerant people and we will accept anything, like the rape of 2000 young girls.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending