Scroll to see replies

Original post by AkashMajumdar
- There should be at least 6 results
- Repeat readings for each value should be taken and averaged
---- Helps identify anomalies
---- Allows an average to be taken
---- Reduces random errors
- There should not be large gaps between values of independent variables
- More precise units to be used (eg. cm in place of m)
- Consistent precision
- Range must not be small
- Units must always be given

This should cover most "Criticise these results" questions.

i know where you got these from :cool::colone:
Original post by Paras Agarwal
i know where you got these from :cool::colone:

Yeah, mark schemes.
Anyway, I'm off. Good luck to everyone! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
guys i always! get confused with random and systematic errors..could one please explain them properly giving examples too thanks

random is like weird stuffs suddenly happening eg wind sways the suspended spring while measuring spring constant. and systematic error happens due to error in apparatus like zero error or deformed spring etc
can sm1 post d list of all d practical if u dnt mind,, :dong:
I'll be back in 2 hours. This is cool that we are somehow studying amd stuff. Yay

Posted from TSR Mobile
and this question may sound stupid but when when you are describing the answers for the experiment do u write
a)
b) .....

or u write everything in continuous prose form??
write it in any way. check the examiner reports for some ideas
Original post by Navo D.
Lmao there are like 27 listed practicals, but the ones very likely to be examined (and have been in the past) are:

Viscosity expt
Thermistors
Youngs modulus
Spring constant
Resistivity of a wire
Internal resistance
Wavelength determination experiments

These are all for the 13-14 mark guided experiment response questions, with multiple parts etc. The rest varies and often includes stuff we haven't done before so make sure your practical concepts and techniques are sound!

What are those if you don't mind explaining? :smile:

First deal in mm.

Then convert your answer to m.

The mean is (0.69mm + 0.71mm + 0.72mm)/3 = 0.706666666666 = 0.71 (to 2 dp as the values are to 2 dp)

The uncertainty = half range = 0.5 ( 0.72mm - 0.69mm) = 0.015 = 0.02 ( again to 2 dp)

So the answer is (0.71 ± 0.02) mm

But if you want to convert mm to m you multiply by a factor 10^-3 (divide by thousand). So dividing by 1000 gives

(7.1 x 10^-4
± 2 x 10^-5) m

Which is

(7.1
± 0.2) x 10^-4 m
Original post by RoyalBlue7
First deal in mm.

Then convert your answer to m.

The mean is (0.69mm + 0.71mm + 0.72mm)/3 = 0.706666666666 = 0.71 (to 2 dp as the values are to 2 dp)

The uncertainty = half range = 0.5 ( 0.72mm - 0.69mm) = 0.015 = 0.02 ( again to 2 dp)

So the answer is (0.71 ± 0.02) mm

But if you want to convert mm to m you multiply by a factor 10^-3 (divide by thousand). So dividing by 1000 gives

(7.1 x 10^-4
± 2 x 10^-5) m

Which is

(7.1
± 0.2) x 10^-4 m

thanks man...did u take chem 3b paper today?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2316839&page=4&p=42526888#post42526888

Use these notes. I think these are all the ones you need to know!
guys jan 10 please question 7d how do u get the g value.. when i draw the triangle on the graph i get 4.1 which is wrong..explainnn pls
Reply 74

Like the one in the May 2012 paper, determining the speed of sound using standing waves in an air column :tongue: basically using the concept of resonance and fundamental frequencies; harmonics in air columns.
Reply 75
guys jan 10 please question 7d how do u get the g value.. when i draw the triangle on the graph i get 4.1 which is wrong..explainnn pls

The gradient is 4pi^2/g, so find g by rearranging to make g the subject of the equation
Original post by Navo D.
The gradient is 4pi^2/g, so find g by rearranging to make g the subject of the equation

yeah i got that above but can u please explain further.. i dont understand what to do from here
Reply 77
you got the gradient as 4.1 right?

http://puu.sh/8CW2J.png
Original post by navo d.
you got the gradient as 4.1 right?

http://puu.sh/8cw2j.png

thank you!!!! So much :d
Help! wt z d diagram for d 5th ques in 2009 May ? i cn directly use an ohmmeter for tht ryt?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending