The Student Room Group

Edinburgh vs St. Andrews

I like both Edinburgh and St. Andrews but I don't know which one to choose. I think I slightly prefer Edinburgh and I know I would definitely enjoy going to university in Edinburgh whereas I think with St. Andrews I could either really love it or not like it at all. I also have a scholarship of £2000 for St. Andrews.
I'm quite tempted to choose St. Andrews because even though I don't like it as much I think I would regret it less as I would know that at least if I didn't enjoy it I could transfer to Edinburgh for my second year and I know I would enjoy it there.
Whereas if I went to Edinburgh even though I will enjoy it I might always wonder "but what if I went to St. Andrews? I might have loved St. Andrews".
Should I go to the university I know I will definitely like or should I go to the one which I am unsure of (because I could really like it and I have the option to transfer if I don't and I get the scholarship).
Any help or advice appreciated.
I had exactly the same problem this year. I loved St Andrews because of the history and traditions of the university and the place is absolutely stunning! But.. It is a very very small town (and this is coming from someone brought up in a small village) After a while I thought that St Andrews may be a bit overwhelming. You can't really escape uni life at all because everything in the town is to do with the uni pretty much. In the end I went with Edinburgh because there is more to do, it's an amazing city and i preferred the course. (and I also really couldn't afford St Andrews)
It's really all about which course you prefer and think is best.
It's such a difficult decision but they are both great uni's. :smile:
I too faced the St Andrews vs Edinburgh dilemma this year. Given that they both enjoy a similar reputation and the course appealed to me at both, it largely came down to the university experience I thought I would prefer in the end. St Andrews is a lovely place, but after visiting I decided that it's not somewhere I'd like to live for 4 years for fear of cabin fever. St Andrews as a town seems to revolve around the uni whereas Edinburgh has so much more on offer and I would prefer the city atmosphere. So, I would strongly advise you to take that into consideration in your decision. Best of luck and I hope you'll come to a final decision soon. :smile:
Original post by ladymarshmallow
I too faced the St Andrews vs Edinburgh dilemma this year. Given that they both enjoy a similar reputation and the course appealed to me at both, it largely came down to the university experience I thought I would prefer in the end. St Andrews is a lovely place, but after visiting I decided that it's not somewhere I'd like to live for 4 years for fear of cabin fever. St Andrews as a town seems to revolve around the uni whereas Edinburgh has so much more on offer and I would prefer the city atmosphere. So, I would strongly advise you to take that into consideration in your decision. Best of luck and I hope you'll come to a final decision soon. :smile:

I can rep you again :awesome:

Only 2/5 exams to go :gasp:
Original post by Quick-use
I can rep you again :awesome:

Only 2/5 exams to go :gasp:

Bonjour encore Monsieur Quick-Use et merci pour le 'rep' :biggrin:

How are your exams going so far? Sat AH French today. :cool:

Edit: Mais malheureusment je ne peux pas te donner un 'rep' en ce moment ce qui me rend tres triste :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Bonjour encore Monsieur Quick-Use et merci pour le 'rep' :biggrin:

How are your exams going so far? Sat AH French today. :cool:

De rien :tongue:

Japanese was quite difficult and I'm not sure how I've done by Spanish Lit and Lang went well. Not looking forward to French Lang but Lit should hopefully be okay. :rambo:

How have yours been so far? :smile: How was French? :awesome:
De rien :tongue:

Japanese was quite difficult and I'm not sure how I've done by Spanish Lit and Lang went well. Not looking forward to French Lang but Lit should hopefully be okay. :rambo:

How have yours been so far? :smile: How was French? :awesome:

I'm not surprised that Japanese was quite difficult if it's any consolation. It looks like such a complex language. :colondollar: Was that purely a language exam? What does a standard lang exam consist of for, say, French?

AH History last week went alright without any hiccups although I do definitely feel that I could have spent more time revising. :colondollar: My essays felt quite poorly constructed and were more reminiscent of Higher ones IMO. :tongue: Oh well, my dissertation is predicted to do well so here's hoping it'll help bring my marks up. French went fairly smoothly today - just a few areas where I was annoyed at myself for throwing away marks eg I didn't leave enough time to finish the inferential Q and also didn't check my translation through once more due to time constraints. The listening was on how the concept of family has evolved and also internet dating. :tongue: Dat SQA. :wink:
Oh well, onwards and upwards! I'm turning 18 on Friday and then my final exam, AH German, is on Tuesday. Can't wait. :biggrin: Do you have any special post-exams plans?
I'm not surprised that Japanese was quite difficult if it's any consolation. It looks like such a complex language. :colondollar: Was that purely a language exam? What does a standard lang exam consist of for, say, French?

AH History last week went alright without any hiccups although I do definitely feel that I could have spent more time revising. :colondollar: My essays felt quite poorly constructed and were more reminiscent of Higher ones IMO. :tongue: Oh well, my dissertation is predicted to do well so here's hoping it'll help bring my marks up. French went fairly smoothly today - just a few areas where I was annoyed at myself for throwing away marks eg I didn't leave enough time to finish the inferential Q and also didn't check my translation through once more due to time constraints. The listening was on how the concept of family has evolved and also internet dating. :tongue: Dat SQA. :wink:
Oh well, onwards and upwards! I'm turning 18 on Friday and then my final exam, AH German, is on Tuesday. Can't wait. :biggrin: Do you have any special post-exams plans?

Yeah, purely language. 3 hours, 100 marks. :afraid: In one reading comprehension, which was worth like 5 marks, they put in a scene from a japanese Nintendo DS game called Ace Attorney. We had to read the testimony of a witness in a murder trial and then compare it with the evidence found by the police to see whether or not the witnesses's testimony was contradictory :lol: Was really difficult at first but I kind of began to enjoy it... So, that's me with 5/100 marks so far :awesome:

French lang depends in both 1st and 2nd year. 2nd year is really tough. We have a translation to do. We can choose a fictitious short story or a newspaper article and it's done from French to English. And, then we write a précis. A précis is basically when you read an article and write a summary of it in French. It sounds easy but it really isn't - the précis is the most difficult part in my opinion as the articles can very difficult both conceptually and linguistically so often than not, I don't understand a single thing and then I don't know how to reword/summarise it (in my own words). :confused: And no, no dictionary allowed.

I'm sure you did well on History! Remember - it's over and done with so you can now relax :biggrin: Admittedly, my dissertation bumped me up hugely as well :lol: Hopefully, German goes as smoothly as French ja? :france:
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah, purely language. 3 hours, 100 marks. :afraid: In one reading comprehension, which was worth like 5 marks, they put in a scene from a japanese Nintendo DS game called Ace Attorney. We had to read the testimony of a witness in a murder trial and then compare it with the evidence found by the police to see whether or not the witnesses's testimony was contradictory :lol: Was really difficult at first but I kind of began to enjoy it... So, that's me with 5/100 marks so far :awesome:

French lang depends in both 1st and 2nd year. 2nd year is really tough. We have a translation to do. We can choose a fictitious short story or a newspaper article and it's done from French to English. And, then we write a précis. A précis is basically when you read an article and write a summary of it in French. It sounds easy but it really isn't - the précis is the most difficult part in my opinion as the articles can very difficult both conceptually and linguistically so often than not, I don't understand a single thing and then I don't know how to reword/summarise it (in my own words). :confused: And no, no dictionary allowed.

I'm sure you did well on History! Remember - it's over and done with so you can now relax :biggrin: Admittedly, my dissertation bumped me up hugely as well :lol: Hopefully, German goes as smoothly as French ja? :france:

Oooh that sounds tough but also rewarding. Is the vocabulary in the translations usually quite, err, obscure or archaic? I definitely feel that German is my all round stronger language than French so I'm quite relieved I've decided not to pursue the latter at degree level (although I'll try to maintain my French somehow if I'm not too busy :tongue:). I really want to do well in German, I'm looking forward to it in a strange way. We shall see. :tongue:
Oooh that sounds tough but also rewarding. Is the vocabulary in the translations usually quite, err, obscure or archaic? I definitely feel that German is my all round stronger language than French so I'm quite relieved I've decided not to pursue the latter at degree level (although I'll try to maintain my French somehow if I'm not too busy :tongue:). I really want to do well in German, I'm looking forward to it in a strange way. We shall see. :tongue:

Did you read any fictitious short stories during Higher? The short-stories are usually like a French version of those found at AH English. The language can be archaic. In one short story, I translated it as: he escaped into the night and it was apparently he stole away or something (no idea - my English is so bad :lol:).

If it's your stronger language, then that's great - my friends doing German love it but say that it's really challenging especially the language classes. I'm sure you'll love it! :biggrin:
Did you read any fictitious short stories during Higher? The short-stories are usually like a French version of those found at AH English. The language can be archaic. In one short story, I translated it as: he escaped into the night and it was apparently he stole away or something (no idea - my English is so bad :lol:).

If it's your stronger language, then that's great - my friends doing German love it but say that it's really challenging especially the language classes. I'm sure you'll love it! :biggrin:

We read a couple in Higher English but really it was just a brief skim more than anything else. One thing which I find moderately frustrating about translation is that sometimes I'm unsure just how much poetic licence I can take with it - it can be tricky to find a delicate balance between remaining as faithful as possible to the original text but simultaneously making it read well in English. I don't know if you get that, though. :tongue:
I know the specific works of literature studied are subject to change each year, but the texts they studied in 1st year German this year looked really interesting (at the open day). :colondollar: Gahh I'm so excited. Oooh I applied for accommodation yesterday btw - all my options are catered at Pollock halls with Chancellor's Court being my first choice. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest