The Student Room Group

Nat5 Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ecasx
Ok so I started studying chemistry today but this question's confused me. It's from Int 2, so maybe there's something we've not learnt (since Int 2 seems to delve more into biology; proteins, carbs, fats etc.) but I'm probably wrong. Could anyone help me on how to get to the answer here? The answer is C.

You could work out the formula and write a balanced equation.

Or you can just work it out from the carboxyl groups within the molecule (there are 3).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Dralcon
I got that one wrong as well but i think I understand it now. The -COOH's are what you find on a carboxylic acid. So to neutralise these bits we need to add an -OH (as happens when the hydroxyl of an alcohol joins on to a carboxylic acid to produce an ester). For each -COOH we need 1 -OH. Using valencies we know that there is one hydroxide in sodium hydroxide so therefore we need 3 of these to neutralise the acid. I'm not very good at chemistry so if I'm completely wrong please correct me.

You are correct. As a really ****ty description, I remember now from class that the -COOH is what gives the acidic property (which was puzzling at first since normally there are H's not OH's). Except it's not actually in Nat 5 I don't think. :s
Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ecasx
You are correct. As a really ****ty description, I remember now from class that the -COOH is what gives the acidic property (which was puzzling at first since normally there are H's not OH's). Except it's not actually in Nat 5 I don't think. :s
Thanks

The H+ dissociates not the OH
Reply 23
Original post by langlitz
The H+ dissociates not the OH

I realise that since removing the H through esterification or reacting with NaOH here neutralises it. I was referring to acids normally having a distinct H in their formulae e.g. H2SO4, HNO3...
Original post by Ecasx
I realise that since removing the H through esterification or reacting with NaOH here neutralises it. I was referring to acids normally having a distinct H in their formulae e.g. H2SO4, HNO3...

Actually the OH is removed in esterification not the H. In both H2SO4 and HNO3 the hydrogen ion dissociates from an OH bond too just like with carboxylic acids.
Reply 25
Actually the OH is removed in esterification not the H. In both H2SO4 and HNO3 the hydrogen ion dissociates from an OH bond too just like with carboxylic acids.

That's like me forcefully correcting a 7 year old who says in school that 13 ÷ 4 is 3 remainder 1. Its way above his level. I'm doing national 5, bro. Calm your smart ass.
Original post by Ecasx
That's like me forcefully correcting a 7 year old who says in school that 13 ÷ 4 is 3 remainder 1. Its way above his level. I'm doing national 5, bro. Calm your smart ass.

That's a good one. It was you who brought in the esterification bit not me. You were the one saying how easy the course was and **** on the last page and generally acting like a complete weapon. Pot calling the kettle black here.
Reply 27
That's a good one. It was you who brought in the esterification bit not me. You were the one saying how easy the course was and **** on the last page and generally acting like a complete weapon. Pot calling the kettle black here.

And that somehow infuriated you. Check the OP: I'm sure it asks how we find the course. And yes, it is quite easy because (surprise!) there is nothing truly advanced or difficult to grasp. 98% in a prelim would probably confirm that, since I seem to interest you so much. I'm sure you will have sailed through this course if you were me darling.

'Acting like a complete weapon' - since when did attempting to help other people become a sin? For the record, you're the one blurting out concepts that are wholly misplaced in a National 5 thread for the sake of correcting other people. Interesting pass time.
Original post by Ecasx
And that somehow infuriated you. Check the OP: I'm sure it asks how we find the course. And yes, it is quite easy because (surprise!) there is nothing truly advanced or difficult to grasp. 98% in a prelim would probably confirm that, since I seem to interest you so much. I'm sure you will have sailed through this course if you were me darling.

'Acting like a complete weapon' - since when did attempting to help other people become a sin? For the record, you're the one blurting out concepts that are wholly misplaced in a National 5 thread for the sake of correcting other people. Interesting pass time.

Well aren't you an obnoxious little ****. And also when did I mention anything "wholly misplaced" for national 5? If you are spouting complete drivel to people asking for help then I'm sure as hell going to correct you.
Reply 29
Well aren't you an obnoxious little ****. And also when did I mention anything "wholly misplaced" for national 5? If you are spouting complete drivel to people asking for help then I'm sure as hell going to correct you.

I missed out the number '2' in an equation - that's your idea of complete drivel? I think the explanation - edited - was pretty nice if I'm honest.

I accepted that correction and that you were right, and dismissed that image which was clearly intended to annoy/mock me. You mocked the fact that I said chemistry was easy yet made a mistake because, well, you're a ****, and after ignoring your first ***** move, I am showing you - I don't desire to show off to someone over an internet forum.

I stated once - because the OP asks - that I find the course easy. This was one sentence. No emphasis was put on it. You are the only moron crying over the fact that someone finds something easy to do. I'm sure you're naturally good at some things too - being a ****.
Original post by Ecasx
I missed out the number '2' in an equation - that's your idea of complete drivel? I think the explanation - edited - was pretty nice if I'm honest.

I accepted that correction and that you were right, and dismissed that image which was clearly intended to annoy/mock me. You mocked the fact that I said chemistry was easy yet made a mistake because, well, you're a ****, and after ignoring your first ***** move, I am showing you - I don't desire to show off to someone over an internet forum.

I stated once - because the OP asks - that I find the course easy. This was one sentence. No emphasis was put on it. You are the only moron crying over the fact that someone finds something easy to do. I'm sure you're naturally good at some things too - being a ****.

ned.jpg You missed out the number 2 because you didn't understand what the hell you were talking about not just by some typing mistake so don't try and pass it off as such. It was drivel. I just find it very ironic that you seemingly find the course easy yet everything you have said that has been Chemistry related is fundamentally wrong at all levels including Nat 5. Anyway... Good luck on monday.

/thread
Reply 31
ned.jpg You missed out the number 2 because you didn't understand what the hell you were talking about not just by some typing mistake so don't try and pass it off as such. It was drivel. I just find it very ironic that you seemingly find the course easy yet everything you have said that has been Chemistry related is fundamentally wrong at all levels including Nat 5. Anyway... Good luck on monday.

/thread

Hahahaha, it was a mistake. I have not went over any chemistry since January - let's agree that most of what I said was correct, and what I did was a mistake, regardless of whether it was in the typing or not. I just find it amazing how you are so infuriated by me saying I find it easy - sad. I have started revision on chemistry today, so you out of all people will be comforted that my prelim knowledge is coming back. And I will make sure to personally tell you my final percentage in the exam in August since you have nothing better to take interest in. Perhaps that will lighten up your life.
Original post by Ecasx
Hahahaha, it was a mistake. I have not went over any chemistry since January - let's agree that most of what I said was correct, and what I did was a mistake, regardless of whether it was in the typing or not. I just find it amazing how you are so infuriated by me saying I find it easy - sad. I have started revision on chemistry today, so you out of all people will be comforted that my prelim knowledge is coming back. And I will make sure to personally tell you my final percentage in the exam in August since you have nothing better to take interest in. Perhaps that will lighten up your life.

To be fair, everything you've said to this point in this thread has been wrong, and you're being confrontational for no reason when people have corrected you on your mistakes.

Maybe you need a tutor?
Original post by TheFOMaster
To be fair, everything you've said to this point in this thread has been wrong, and you're being confrontational for no reason when people have corrected you on your mistakes.

Maybe you need a tutor?

But that would just be buying his grade
Original post by Ecasx
Actually, that redox equation is correct.

National 5 is not a great challenge, as you will probably know.

All that great self-teaching you do has clearly proven to be very effective! I'm impressed by your fundamental knowledge of such a basic concept in a subject you find so incredibly easy :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asklepios

But you can use all those great online resources to learn what oxidation and reduction actually are - that's why you get so many thick kids who are good at exams. :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AspiringMedic8
All that great self-teaching you do has clearly proven to be very effective! I'm impressed by your fundamental knowledge of such a basic concept in a subject you find so incredibly easy :wink:

But you can use all those great online resources to learn what oxidation and reduction actually are - that's why you get so many thick kids who are good at exams. :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Too far
Reply 37

Maybe you need a tutor?

The image he sent earlier was provoking, although I didn't mind it at first. The second time he 'corrected' me I wasn't even referencing the thing he was talking about (I was talking about how the carboxylic acid formulae seems atypical to normal acid formulae at first) although I didn't mention this and continued to spew wrong information due to my limited knowledge of chemistry. Which, by the way, is perfectly sufficient for National 5.

Tutor? Hell no.

Original post by Asklepios

It wasn't me that ever said that. Also, I know this is irrelevant now but when you asked about your 5 advanced Higher A1's being undeserved just because you went to a private school, I wanted to say that they are not. They are fully deserved - you clearly have natural ability because thats amazing. But it would be more impressive if someone did that in a state school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You tend to forget what you don't go over. That was the case with me. I'm lazy. I've started revision on chemistry today though, so I'll be fine thank you.

Trust me it's effective. I cant speak for now, but in August I could prove it to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or listen in class --> learn the general concepts fully --> re-visit them come exam time. I don't enjoy studying and I work best under pressure, so late preparation seems to work best. Worked so far.

Also, save your tutor money and buy a drink.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ecasx
The image he sent earlier was provoking, although I didn't mind it at first. The second time he 'corrected' me I wasn't even referencing the thing he was talking about (I was talking about how the carboxylic acid formulae seems atypical to normal acid formulae at first) although I didn't mention this and continued to spew wrong information due to my limited knowledge of chemistry. Which, by the way, is perfectly sufficient for National 5.

Tutor? Hell no.

Also, save your tutor money and buy a drink.

You provoked him, he then put you in your place. Don't bite the hand that feeds innit? Also, he was correcting your mistakes. He was literally trying to make sure you done better in your exam, and he wasn't even rude at all about. Then you snap back with:

"That's like me forcefully correcting a 7 year old who says in school that 13 ÷ 4 is 3 remainder 1. Its way above his level."

Well guess what? If you bring up topics above your level in a matter of fact tone, then its not above your level is it? Then if your wrong, someone should correct you so you don't make the same mistakes over and over again. It's called... um... learning I think. Why were you even talking about esterification if its not in the Nat5 course anyway?

Stop being an arrogant, egotistical wretch. Now shoo.
Reply 39
You provoked him, he then put you in your place. Don't bite the hand that feeds innit? Also, he was correcting your mistakes. He was literally trying to make sure you done better in your exam, and he wasn't even rude at all about. Then you snap back with:

"That's like me forcefully correcting a 7 year old who says in school that 13 ÷ 4 is 3 remainder 1. Its way above his level."

Well guess what? If you bring up topics above your level in a matter of fact tone, then its not above your level is it? Then if your wrong, someone should correct you so you don't make the same mistakes over and over again. It's called... um... learning I think. Why were you even talking about esterification if its not in the Nat5 course anyway?

Stop being an arrogant, egotistical wretch. Now shoo.

Did you even read what I said? We sound like little children now.

Correcting my mistakes and, in addition, trying to mock me.

Esterification IS in the course. The level of detail he went into is NOT. In fact, all we know of esterification is how to name an ester and how to draw one - that's it. I doubt the term 'esterification' is even National 5 knowledge to be honest, but you understand.

How can I be egotistical when I don't even have any qualifications? And if you're referring to my view of chemistry - AT THIS LEVEL - being easy, then I'm out. There are plenty of people in my school and in your school who say things are easy. Damn, egotistical *****.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending