The Student Room Group

Nat5 Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by chopinfan
Think I got 0.08 mol/l for concentration question :s I messed up the number of moles of potassium in raisins question but apart from that it wasn't too bad. What did everyone get for the 'Solution X' question? I thought it would be sodium hydroxide but lots of people put sodium oxide. :frown:

I wrote hydroxide. Reacting with water produces a metal hydroxide plus hydrogen (which was the thing that gave it away for me) :3
Original post by langlitz
Wait was the Nat 5 paper in the morning? If someone uploads the paper I'll make an answer sheet

i only have section 1 which was the multiple choice questions should i upload that? I dont have the second section because we had to write on it
Original post by Ecasx
I wrote hydroxide. Reacting with water produces a metal hydroxide plus hydrogen (which was the thing that gave it away for me) :3

Yessss :biggrin: Thought I'd done something wrong there haha. What did you get for the moles of potassium question? :smile: Got confused on whether to use the RAM of potassium or not :/
Original post by Zahraa_I
i only have section 1 which was the multiple choice questions should i upload that? I dont have the second section because we had to write on it

Yeah upload what ever you have. So nobody will have the second section then if you had to write on that bit
Reply 84
Yessss :biggrin: Thought I'd done something wrong there haha. What did you get for the moles of potassium question? :smile: Got confused on whether to use the RAM of potassium or not :/

Omg I almost missed out on that haha! First I used the atomic number LOL

Realised it when I was checking over though and yeah, RAM 39, answer was 0.022 to 2 s.f. wbu?

Edit: what did you write for the ion-electron equation at the positive electrode? Where sodium chloride passes through a membrane
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ecasx
Omg I almost missed out on that haha! First I used the atomic number LOL

Realised it when I was checking over though and yeah, RAM 39, answer was 0.022 to 2 s.f. wbu?

Edit: what did you write for the ion-electron equation at the positive electrode? Where sodium chloride passes through a membrane

I did that originally and then scored it out and did 100/36 oh my haha, dunno why I got so confused over that question :frown: Think I got 2Cl- ---> Cl2 + 2e-
What did you get for the question that asked why the boiling point of butane was higher than propane or something?
Reply 86
I did that originally and then scored it out and did 100/36 oh my haha, dunno why I got so confused over that question :frown: Think I got 2Cl- ---> Cl2 + 2e-
What did you get for the question that asked why the boiling point of butane was higher than propane or something?

That's exactly what I got for the equation! Thank ****.

It was 2 marks, so I wrote along the lines of:
- butane is a larger molecule - consists of a longer carbon chain - more mass
- therefore more energy is needed to force butane molecules to move at a sufficient 'speed' that they exist in a gaseous state, compared to smaller propane molecules which evaporate more readily
- hence the higher boiling point

For the butane question you would need to say that since the carbon chain is longer then there will be more intermolecular forces which increases the boiling point, also the fact it has a larger mass
Reply 88
Original post by langlitz
For the butane question you would need to say that since the carbon chain is longer then there will be more intermolecular forces which increases the boiling point, also the fact it has a larger mass

:redface: This.

Except I have never been told that longer carbon chain --> stronger intermolecular forces. :l
Original post by Ecasx
That's exactly what I got for the equation! Thank ****.

It was 2 marks, so I wrote along the lines of:
- butane is a larger molecule - consists of a longer carbon chain - more mass
- therefore more energy is needed to force butane molecules to move at a sufficient 'speed' that they exist in a gaseous state, compared to smaller propane molecules which evaporate more readily
- hence the higher boiling point

I sat and started at that diagram for ages haha, took a while to work out what was happening.

I wrote something really basic for that question :/ Just said that because there are more carbon atoms, there are more bonds made and therefore, more energy (in the form of heat) is required to break the increased number of bonds. Doesn't really make sense my explanation. Thought for a while I could put something to do with intermolecular attraction and Van Der Waals force but that's higher so I thought it would be much more basic.
Reply 90
I sat and started at that diagram for ages haha, took a while to work out what was happening.

I wrote something really basic for that question :/ Just said that because there are more carbon atoms, there are more bonds made and therefore, more energy (in the form of heat) is required to break the increased number of bonds. Doesn't really make sense my explanation. Thought for a while I could put something to do with intermolecular attraction and Van Der Waals force but that's higher so I thought it would be much more basic.

I'm on the same (aluminium) boat as you, mine is a pretty crude explanation.

The very first question was annoying. I left it and went back to it at the end. What did you write about why the protons get deflected?
Original post by Ecasx
:redface: This.

Except I have never been told that longer carbon chain --> stronger intermolecular forces. :l

Wasn't in the SQA course specification either. :redface: Nothing even to do with mass but I guess that's obvious. Maybe they'll accept a good guess made at it? (I hope lol)
Original post by Ecasx
I'm on the same (aluminium) boat as you, mine is a pretty crude explanation.

The very first question was annoying. I left it and went back to it at the end. What did you write about why the protons get deflected?

Hahaha :wink: Can't believe someone leaked that question slightly...

Same! I was like wtf is this physics I'm doing, ended up just saying that the positive nuclei of the gold atoms would repel the protons, causing them to be deflected. Also wrote something about the protons being attracted to electrons in the atoms but don't think that bit is really relevant.
Reply 93
Hahaha :wink: Can't believe someone leaked that question slightly...

Same! I was like wtf is this physics I'm doing, ended up just saying that the positive nuclei of the gold atoms would repel the protons, causing them to be deflected. Also wrote something about the protons being attracted to electrons in the atoms but don't think that bit is really relevant.

Awww **** I totally forgot about the nuclei. I wrote about the negatively-charged outer electrons pulling on the positively-charged protons due to an electrostatic attraction, which was enough to alter the course of the protons.

Sheise.
Any chance somebody could upload the answer to the multiple choice part of the exam?

OH and what did people get for the Eh = cm T question?
what kinda things did you all write for the 2 knowledge questions? Aluminium boat and the calculating the rate of reaction.
Original post by Ecasx
Awww **** I totally forgot about the nuclei. I wrote about the negatively-charged outer electrons pulling on the positively-charged protons due to an electrostatic attraction, which was enough to alter the course of the protons.

Sheise.

That'll still probably be fine, only 1 mark as well.
Original post by musicalflute
Any chance somebody could upload the answer to the multiple choice part of the exam?

Think I got 2090kJ??
Reply 98
Original post by musicalflute

I can list you them. They have been checked by Mr 5AH. A1. Askelpios himself.

1. A
2. D
3. A
4. C
5. C
6. A
7. D
8. A
9. C
10. B
11. C
12. B
13. C
14. C
15. A
16. D
17. B
18. B
19. B
20. D
Original post by Ecasx
I can list you them. They have been checked by Mr 5AH. A1. Askelpios himself.

1. A
2. D
3. A
4. C
5. C
6. A
7. D
8. A
9. C
10. B
11. C
12. B