The Student Room Group

Business HNC

Has anyone sat the business HNC exam before? Studying for it now just looking for a few tips, especially if it's on the highland spring case study!

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by rachelinnes13
Has anyone sat the business HNC exam before? Studying for it now just looking for a few tips, especially if it's on the highland spring case study!

Original post by skinni
I sat the graded unit in February with the Highland Spring case study.

1. Make sure you analyse the case study from start to end so that you understand their strengths and weaknessess before you go into the exam so you don't waste time searching for answers.

2. In the second section where you only answer 3 out of the 4 questions I would recommend answering MPO & Marketing as there is a lot of information about these subjects within the case study.

3. Fully justify and back up every answer you give!

4. If you have done well throughout the course on your assessments then you will be fine :yy: no tricky questions and you will know everything they are asking, it's just to prove that you can identify issues etc.

Good luck :smile:

I'm familiar with the Highland Spring casestudy too - the advice above is top notch. Sharpen up on marketing, managing people and basics like shareholders. You'll be fine if you do that.
Reply 4
Original post by skinni
I sat the graded unit in February with the Highland Spring case study.

1. Make sure you analyse the case study from start to end so that you understand their strengths and weaknessess before you go into the exam so you don't waste time searching for answers.

2. In the second section where you only answer 3 out of the 4 questions I would recommend answering MPO & Marketing as there is a lot of information about these subjects within the case study.

3. Fully justify and back up every answer you give!

4. If you have done well throughout the course on your assessments then you will be fine :yy: no tricky questions and you will know everything they are asking, it's just to prove that you can identify issues etc.

Good luck :smile:

Hi was there any mention of demand graphs? Are they worth a look at?
Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by skinni
Revise factors of supply and demand and look of the supply/demand curves if you will be picking the economics question. I didn't even look at the accounts question because I hate accounts but most people picked the accounts question over the economics question because they found it easier :yy:

Thank you I've been kind of unsure what to study in particular but you've defo helped :smile:
Reply 6
Hi, was there any mention of Elasticity of Demand or Income Elasticity of Demand? Thank you!
Reply 7
Original post by skinni
Yip, make sure you fully understand price & income elasticity because the questions could be on either and will be worth quite a few points

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah that's great thank you for letting me know! :smile: one last question, guessing the marketing question will be related to Promotion as there is a big section of that in the case study?
Reply 8
i love you! oh and whats the main things we need to know for the integration questions?
Reply 9
aw that's great again thank you! Just that I do hate MPO but I'd rather do that than the Finance section!
In addition to what's been said, I'd probably add that taking the economics question might be a good choice... Supply/demand curves, price/income elasticity and you're pretty much there - a very straight forward, quantitative question that isn't 'open to interpretation'... Should be easy marks!

Also, to the person who hates MPO - next year that's all you'll really be doing! On top of things like statistics (which is awful), and more finance... Learn to love it! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by skinni
That's the first thing I noticed with the case study, even if promotion doesn't come up in the marketing question you may use it in section one anyway!

I'm sure the questions from February will be different from the questions of the GU still to be sat but I'll give you's some examples of what I done to study etc

With the business graded unit 1, it's not so much what you revise from the units but more knowing how to apply it. If you have passed all the assessments then there wont be anything new. The best thing to do is analyse the case study properly and relate as much knowlege of MPO, Marketing, Economics and Accounts to it as you can.

Do a SWOT analysis on Highland Spring from the case study and memorise this.

Do a PEST analysis on Highland Spring from the information given in the case study and memorise this too.

*(I'm not saying that SWOT & PEST will come up but they help you understand the case study better)*

Make sure you have a good understanding of their external and internal environment, stakeholders etc.

When answering questions in the exam make sure you justify every answer you give and back up the justification with an example from the case study, even just a sentence from it to show that that is what you are talking about.

Leave a good bit of space after every question that you answer so that you can go back at the end if you have enough time to add more stuff on, a couple of marks can be the difference between grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi you've been really helpful thank you so much :smile: just one quick question did u have to do organisational structures at all? There's a bit about the employees and I'm in 2 minds whether to put down a couple?
Thank you again :smile:
Original post by 5thwaver
Hi you've been really helpful thank you so much :smile: just one quick question did u have to do organisational structures at all? There's a bit about the employees and I'm in 2 minds whether to put down a couple?

It's definitely worth including this. Including things that aren't directly asked for in the question, but relevant, are what picks you up extra marks... You won't go wrong provided you stick to the objective and tie in things together well.
Reply 13
Original post by 5thwaver

Yeah, even if it's not asked you could use it in the integrated questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have this graded unit next wednesday any tips on what questions came up?
Original post by rhyscossar
I have this graded unit next wednesday any tips on what questions came up?

As if. Take the advice on here and study for the exam.

P.S. maybe coming on a public forum with your full name and asking what questions come up in your GU isn't the best thing to do.
Original post by pmc:producer
As if. Take the advice on here and study for the exam.

P.S. maybe coming on a public forum with your full name and asking what questions come up in your GU isn't the best thing to do.

sorry mum
Original post by rhyscossar
sorry mum

Great, come back with sarcasm. You're only making yourself look like a bellend, no one else. Put the effort in like everybody else here has done.

Don't quote me again.
hi im new to this thread and was wondering if anyone can lend me hand with things that are worth studying for the exam. I've brushed over the external environment, pest and swot , the mature market and promotional actvtities, but the case study is different to ones that I have studied before i've studied case studies such as irn bru and scottish and newcastle but im finding highland spring difficult i'm not looking for answers im just looking for a little help to get me going.

Thanks for any help it is appreciated. :smile:
Hi guys, I've thought about taking up a HNC in business as well in order to get to University or at the very least have some qualifications in my pockets. However is a HNC business helpful when it comes to that, do people even recognize it as something valuable? Will an university accept a HNC in Business if you'd like to join one of their degrees? And to what kind of careers could a HNC in Business take me to on it's own without having any other qualifications?

Cheers for your replies(if i get any lol)
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending