The Student Room Group

Maths at university: which FM A-level modules

Do universities require certain modules? One of my teachers is suggesting that we do Mechanics because universities look at the modules, whereas the other two are saying that they don't and to do Decision. Any advice? None of the websites seem to say indifferently

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mutleybm1996
Do universities require certain modules? One of my teachers is suggesting that we do Mechanics because universities look at the modules, whereas the other two are saying that they don't and to do Decision. Any advice? None of the websites seem to say indifferently

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only time I've ever seen a University specify modules is at Imperial College, where some of their Engineering courses require an A in M1. My Maths teacher said that Oxbridge don't accept D1 as part of single Maths but they do accept it as part of Further Maths, but I don't know how accurate that is.

As far as I know, you can choose pretty much whichever modules you want apart from that. If you're thinking about doing a Maths degree, the FP modules are probably going to be the most useful; if you're thinking about engineering or physical sciences then the Mechanics modules are probably the best to take and obviously Statistics if you're planning to do Statistics (or possibly biological sciences). I get the impression that informally, the FP and Mechanics modules are the most 'respected' but I cannot believe that the choice of modules would in any way affect your chances of getting into a University. Personally, I would strongly recommend against taking Decision because I think they're pretty awful modules and they're really not interested. D1 is very easy but it's so dull...
*bump*
Reply 3
I have never heard of this happening. Might be worth checking teh individual university websites, if they don't say they care about what modules they take then they likely don't care.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending