The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

_bec_
Ditto....no pack for me yet either :frown:

Don't worry guys, I had the same thinglast year. I got no pack until a couple of weeks before going, nothing from my parents because of the data protection act, and generally felt like I had been forgotten/overlooked!

You won't have been, Durham just isn't that hot at sending infromation out over the summer!:rolleyes:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 61
It is for access to the Maiden Castle facilities and is quite extortionate in my opinion.

Whilst they make no mention of this on their site, I am sure they would not reject £120 if you later decided that you couldn't live without playing rugby etc.

I'd advise that unless you know you want to play sport at uni (such as you are in a team at school/college and really looking forward to carrying on) then save the money until you are sure that you want to join.

For those who do end up playing sport you will only lose out on having to go to Maiden Castle and sort out the card, for those who don't you will be £120 better off.

Some college sport is exempt from this charge as well (it all depends on where they train) and so you may find yourself being able to play rugby twice a week all year and not have to pay for facilities you aren't going to use.
Reply 62
If you decide "in week 7 of term 1" that you want a refund, do they send it to you or to your house/parents? :hmmmm2:
Reply 63
To your house.
Reply 64
Ah well. I'll just opt out early then! :frown:
If I choose not to pay the sports fee, what sports facilities will be available to me? Please don't say none. :frown:
Reply 66
The sports fee covers your whole 3 years at Durham though doesn't it? And does it mean that you don't have to pay to join any individual sports clubs once you get there?

Speaking of the freshers pack, I've got a form to fill in about room sharing (like what are my interests etc...). Why do I have this? I thought Van Mildert had no sharing :eek: .
G_H_G
The sports fee covers your whole 3 years at Durham though doesn't it? And does it mean that you don't have to pay to join any individual sports clubs once you get there?

Speaking of the freshers pack, I've got a form to fill in about room sharing (like what are my interests etc...). Why do I have this? I thought Van Mildert had no sharing :eek: .

Van Mildert has had no sharing for the past few years but if more applicants get in than they envisaged then they'll have to make a few share. It's unlikely to happen but just in case they get you to fill in a form. I think they might actually use your interests to put you on a corridor of like-minded people. I'm sure they deliberately put most of our corridor together because we all said we were very interested in music and played instruments. It's really very, very unlikely you'll end up sharing a room though! x
Reply 68
I swear they don't use your interests to put you on a corridor of similar people from my experience...
PS:I just realised Neil will be president next year and not Geordie Paul,how mad.
Reply 69
I'm not really worried about sharing. It'll only be for 1 term if you have to and you'll probably make a friend for life.
Reply 70
Widowmaker
If I choose not to pay the sports fee, what sports facilities will be available to me? Please don't say none. :frown:

Thats what I want to know, if i don't pay whats available?
Reply 71
As far as I can tell, college facilities are still available, such as college fitness suites etc. I believe that if you are in a college team that uses, or could be required to play at the Maiden Castle facilities then you will need a card, but I am not at all sure on this.

I am more confident in saying you don't need a card if you are say in your colleges pool or darts team, as all of the facilities you will use are owned either by the colleges, or JCRs, not the Dept of Sport.

As far as I know, the card does not include any membership of any teams. How much they charge above that I don't know, but I believe the teams are allowed to set their membership fees at whatever they like.
The way I see it, you get exactly what you pay for. Buying the card for university facilities entitles you to use them, and also acts as insurance cover for whilst you are doing so. This means that if you join a college sports team which plays at maiden castle or the racecourse and dont have a card, you are effectively stealing and probably contravening other regulations by competing/training there, as well as risking having no leg to stand on (literally - ha ha!) if you are injured whilst doing so.

That said, I have never required my card to join a sport team; I'm not good enough to play anything at uni level and as College sports teams are, in my experience, organised and financed on a College/JCR level, the only time the card is relevant is when using uni facilities.

This is by no means fact, it's just my interpretation of the way I think it works!
I got mine today for HIld and BEde...soooooooooooooooooooooo many sheets..and form.jesus christ!!!!!!
but looks good guys!!! especially the freshers fortnight!!

Latest