The Student Room Group

Oxford Union President arrested on suspicion of rape.

Scroll to see replies

Another example of male privilege :rolleyes:
Original post by redferry
seriously please can someone provide me with one example of someone having their career prospects seriously damaged by rape accusations?

People have killed themselves over false rape allegations, which I would argue quite seriously reduces their career prospects.
Where is the evidence that that will harm his career though? If you are innocent why would it bother people?

What makes it difficult is that being found not guilty in a rape case doesn't really mean you aren't guilty, because you can only give a guilty verdict if you feel WITHOUT DOUBT that they did it. It's a difficult one as it leaves the public feeling well they might have done it there just wasn't enough evidence. If they could decrease the amount of shoddy treatment of both sides It might help.

Here is just handful of men who have had their lives ruined by false rape accusations.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/10140992/Soldier-tells-how-his-life-was-ruined-after-woman-he-tried-to-comfort-accused-him-of-rape.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-11676804

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/real-life/i-will-never-recover-victim-of-false-1054593

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1186202/The-rape-lies-ruined-lives-Taxi-driver-wife-reveal-devastating-cost-drunk-teenager-cried-rape.html

There are countless more. False rape accusations and not guilty verdicts ruin men's lives all around the world.
Original post by CEKTOP
He's already covered in grime head to toe.

Why is being part of a club ironically named "The Banter Squadron", any worse than going out with friends for drinks on a regular basis? It's slightly immature at worst.
(edited 9 years ago)

Thanks, although I will point out the first ends with this: I can honestly say that I am in many respects better for what I had to go through.

Second one - nothing to do with his career but still a good example of someone suffering as a result so thanks.

Thanks.

It is clearly a very difficult issue as rapists getting off clearly ruins women's lives all around the world as well.

It is a difficult balancing act.

In most of these situation how would the accused remaining anonymous have helped? :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by StretfordEnd
At the end of the day our entire legal system is built upon the presumption of innocence and in today's world, as mentioned, a rape accusation is often as damning as a conviction.

This 'name them so other people can come forward' is spurious nonsense. It's absolutely conjecture and there's certainly nothing I've ever seen which would indicate naming suspects who are yet to be found guilty leads to a higher rate of rapes being reported and convicted.

Incidentally, I'm not very familiar with Oxford politics (if that's the right word) so perhaps someone could enlighten me. After reading up on wiki etc, I've found that:

The Oxford Union (whose President is this chap) is a debating society that is not to be confused with The Oxford Uni Student Union which is...a Union in the normal sense of the word.

Is this pretty well known? I just assumed Oxford Union referred to the actual students' union and most of the newspapers I've read haven't really gone out of their way to make the distinction.

The Oxford Union is essentially a society. It's completely separate from OUSU (Oxford University Student Union) although OUSU is different from most university student unions as each college has a JCR (committee and bar etc.).
(edited 9 years ago)

That really is quite unfair, that has nothing to do with his being arrested and I think it's discreditable to insinuate some kind of link.
Thanks.

It is clearly a very difficult issue as rapists getting off clearly ruins women's lives all around the world as well.

It is a difficult balancing act.

That's a bloody outrageous comment, and libellous to boot. If they have been acquitted, they are innocent and saying it is "rapists getting off" is rank demagogy of the worst sort.

To then follow up with a coy "It's a difficult balancing act" is dishonest and and manipulative, you should be ashamed.

Haha don't worry, I'm not some ******** that dismisses things because they are in the DM.

If the Daily Mail (Fail LOL) wrote that the Earth was round some people would write "omg quoting Daily Mail, can't take seriously!"

I hope that woman is being charged with perverting the course of justice, if convicted she should receive a substantial prison sentence.
Original post by StretfordEnd
Incidentally, I'm not very familiar with Oxford politics (if that's the right word) so perhaps someone could enlighten me. After reading up on wiki etc, I've found that:

The Oxford Union (whose President is this chap) is a debating society that is not to be confused with The Oxford Uni Student Union which is...a Union in the normal sense of the word.

Is this pretty well known? I just assumed Oxford Union referred to the actual students' union and most of the newspapers I've read haven't really gone out of their way to make the distinction.

The Oxford Union is a debating society founded in the 1800s, and separate from OUSU, but much more prominent. It has a reputation for famous alumni, and an air of upper classness (not in a bad sense - students from all backgrounds choose to propagate this because it makes them feel like they are at the 'real Oxford'). People high up on the Union committee tend to be serious about politics, and membership is for life, so it acts as a place to make useful connections. By contrast, nobody knows where OUSU even is.

(That was just because you said you were interested - sorry if not :tongue:).

Original post by CEKTOP
Oxford is a place that breeds class hatred, racism and incompetence. The British ruling class is the clearest illustration of this.

This may have been true 40 years ago, but it's almost the opposite now.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by yo radical one
Why is being part of a club ironically named "The Banter Squadron", any worse than going out with friends for drinks on a regular basis? It's slightly immature at worst.

1. He represents a debating society of a supposedly 'elite' university. The name of this 'squadron' alone speaks volumes about its members.

2. Going out drinking with friends does not normally involve raping people, does it?

3. Somehow you chose to omit the fact that he attempted to sabotage a newspaper publication about his involvement with this squadron using members' money.
Original post by MostUncivilised
That's a bloody outrageous comment, and libellous to boot. If they have been acquitted, they are innocent and saying it is "rapists getting off" is rank demagogy of the worst sort.

To then follow up with a coy "It's a difficult balancing act" is dishonest and and manipulative, you should be ashamed.

Acquitted people are not found innocent. They are not guilty.
Original post by Huskaris
People have killed themselves over false rape allegations, which I would argue quite seriously reduces their career prospects.

Excellent point, they will be tarred with the "There's no smoke without fire" brush, possibly for life given the ease with which such information can be obtained in the internet age.

Nobody denies that rape is a serious crime and should be vigorously prosecuted, but the cavalier manner in which some people on this thread are labelling acquittals as "rapists getting off" is absolutely shameful
Original post by Old_Simon
Acquitted people are not found innocent. They are not guilty.

Under our legal system, being found not guilty means you are innocent (i.e. innocent until proven guilty, which they have not been)
Original post by CEKTOP
1. He represents a debating society of a supposedly 'elite' university. The name of this 'squadron' alone speaks volumes about its members.

Somehow he can't be part of clubs which have slightly childish (but nevertheless harmless) names, because he is a prominent student at a high ranking university? What do you expect of him?

Original post by CEKTOP

2. Going out drinking with friends does not normally involve raping people, does it?

He hasn't even been charged and if he is charged and subsequently convicted, that issue is still separate from his little club :dunce:
Original post by MostUncivilised

Everyone who is acquitted is clearly not innocent. There have been numerous cases of rape victims committing suicide when their attacker walks away deemed 'innocent'.

The conviction system for rape is VERY flawed. It is one persons word against another in almost 100% of cases which means if someone is acquitted that doubt will always be there, as I said earlier, as after all the jury must have 'no reasonable doubt' to convict someone. So any doubts at all that they MIGHT be innocent and they won't be convicted. When it's one person against another surely that doubt will always be there.
Reply 58
Original post by Octohedral

This may have been true 40 years ago, but it's almost the opposite now.

Yeah, especially given the fact that the president of its debating club is now being investigated by the police and a senior female member resigned a couple of weeks ago citing impossible working conditions. The 'I too am Oxford' campaign is further proof that everything is jolly good in this 'elite' cesspool.
Original post by Huskaris

People have killed themselves when their attacker has walked free.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending