The Student Room Group

All I want to do when I graduate is watch Netflix for the rest of my life

So I graduate this summer.

Once upon a time, I had dreams of being a hot shot lawyer, but after rejection after rejection for jobs, I have kind of just been like 'oh, ok then:redface:.'

Now all I want to do is watch netflix, and eat dominoes for the rest of my life.

I kind of feel like that whilst I was once ready to embrace responsibility, now I'm not. I feel like I have regressed mentally in terms of age, and that whilst maybe I should grow up, why the hell should I?!

idk am I being immature or is this a genuine life option?

Scroll to see replies

Who wouldn't?

Not sure about it being a genuine life option lol but I'm sure plenty of people would sack in their jobs for a life of leisure if money wasn't a problem.
Reply 2
I'm pretty sure im the same, I feel like I've aged backwards if that make sense, lol. You're still young, so why the hell not? :smile: Better now than later, as cliché as it sounds. Buuuuuut, would it not get boring after a while? :/
Reply 3
Original post by Daniellejo.
Who wouldn't?

Not sure about it being a genuine life option lol but I'm sure plenty of people would sack in their jobs for a life of leisure if money wasn't a problem.

But surely money isn't a problem?

I'm not asking to go on extravagant holidays to the Bahamas or to dine at the finest restaurants, I just want Netflix and the occasional pizza (a combined £30 a month lifestyle max)
It's not what I would want for myself, but I actually think it's fair enough to be honest
I hear you buddy. I'd settle for that too.

But not sure how you would pay rent, electricity bills, heating .... and all that life essentials jazz.
How much do you think a domino's costs? It's defo more than £30/month if that's all you're eating (and if you're eating anything else, then it's not just dominos and netflix).

Have you taken into account rent, transport, alcohol? Or would you be living at home with your parents? And would they be ok with it?

I'm probably taking this thread way too seriously, but I loved the title. All I can say is, if I could, I would, but I think it's not exactly how you want to spend the rest of your life (I mean, friends? family? pets? reading? music? other food other than pizza?)

Anyways, I think everybody feels a bit like you do when they finish their degree: they don't really want to be grown ups or have responsibilities. If you have the money to do this, go for it. I'd give anything not to have to start working next year, but be realistic about how much it'll cost :smile:
Original post by ade90210

I'm not asking to go on extravagant holidays to the Bahamas or to dine at the finest restaurants, I just want Netflix and the occasional pizza (a combined £30 a month lifestyle max)
How are you going to pay your rent, bills and food? (£30 a month is woefully inadequate for food, especially if you're living off Dominoes)
Reply 8
Original post by zuzu096
Buuuuuut, would it not get boring after a while? :/

Yeah, that's a minor concern of mine, but doesn't everything got boring after a while anyway tbh?
Don't we all. I wish money didn't exist. Then I could have what I want.
Reply 10
Original post by Puck_1991
How much do you think a domino's costs? It's defo more than £30/month if that's all you're eating (and if you're eating anything else, then it's not just dominos and netflix).

Have you taken into account rent, transport, alcohol? Or would you be living at home with your parents? And would they be ok with it?

I'm probably taking this thread way too seriously, but I loved the title. All I can say is, if I could, I would, but I think it's not exactly how you want to spend the rest of your life (I mean, friends? family? pets? reading? music? other food other than pizza?)

Anyways, I think everybody feels a bit like you do when they finish their degree: they don't really want to be grown ups or have responsibilities. If you have the money to do this, go for it. I'd give anything not to have to start working next year, but be realistic about how much it'll cost :smile:

my dominos is 7.99 if you collect. dominos about 3 times a month, and netflix is 5.99 iirc

i have minor passive sources of income, not substantial, but enough to maintain this minimal lifestyle (and anything else, would come out of these income streams)

I also have a decent amount of savings.

But is it not selfish of me get a job, and pay off my students loans, or am I entitled to live however I want?
I mean it's not like I went to uni to not get a job, and never pay it off, just this is how it has ended up.
So I graduate this summer.

Once upon a time, I had dreams of being a hot shot lawyer, but after rejection after rejection for jobs, I have kind of just been like 'oh, ok then:redface:.'

Now all I want to do is watch netflix, and eat dominoes for the rest of my life.

I kind of feel like that whilst I was once ready to embrace responsibility, now I'm not. I feel like I have regressed mentally in terms of age, and that whilst maybe I should grow up, why the hell should I?!

idk am I being immature or is this a genuine life option?

Welcome to post-adulthood.
Reply 12
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Don't we all. I wish money didn't exist. Then I could have what I want.

its a very minimal lifestyle.

Like I saidI'm not asking to go on extravagant holidays to the Bahamas or to dine at the finest restaurants, I just want Netflix and the occasional pizza.

heck, you could even maintain this lifestyle on benefits.
Reply 13
Original post by Profesh
Welcome to post-adulthood.

what is this?
Ah, so this is the 'Lost Generation' everyone's talking about :wink:

I can understand the desire though. After all, if you're only marginally better off doing a minimum wage job for 40 hours a week, rather than sitting at home, why would you bother? The small drop in living standards is probably more than offset by the extra free time. This is why the minimum wage needs to be raised in my opinion, because at the moment the incentive to take a minimum wage job isn't really good enough.
Reply 15
it's just weird I had ambitions to work hard and make partner in 20 years time, and live the private jet lifestyle, and I've done a full 180, and said 'screw you' to the system
Reply 16
its a very minimal lifestyle.

Like I saidI'm not asking to go on extravagant holidays to the Bahamas or to dine at the finest restaurants, I just want Netflix and the occasional pizza.

heck, you could even maintain this lifestyle on benefits.

I wouldn't go there if I was you, you'll get ripped to shreds and rightly so:rolleyes:

I guess we've all been there though, I just wish I could spend my life playing immersive video games like Skyrim and watch game of thrones for the rest of my life, but hey, unless I win the lottery, I can't expect such a cushy lifestyle.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Olie
I wouldn't go there if I was you, you'll get ripped to shreds and rightly so:rolleyes:

I guess we've all been there though, I just wish I could spend my life playing immersive video games like Skyrim and watch game of thrones for the rest of my life, but hey, unless I win the lottery, I can't expect such a cushy lifestyle.

So is this just a phase people go through?
Did this for a whole summer once. But got boring eventually. Especially netflix, there's only a limit to how much you can watch (that you enjoy).

I'm assuming you'd want accommodation and preferably more to eat than just 6/7 pizzas a month? :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest