The Student Room Group

Private schoolers have 'better morals'

After having see somebody post this on here, I was literally shocked into silence. Is what they're saying true, or is it just another case of private school snobbery? I personally think it's a load of rubbish- surely going to a private school can work against you? (This is a hypothetical situation btw). Say two people are competeting for the same place in a course at a uni, and they're virtually identical in terms of predicted grades, work experience, interview scores etc.- the only difference between them is that one goes to a high-achieving private school and the other to a pretty crap state school. Surely the university is more likely to give the place to the comprehensive student, simply because they are likely to have worked harder for the same grades? This is what I've always heard, and I don't even go to a comprehensive- I go to a grammar school.

Post your opinions, I'm genuinely curious.

Well our teachers have told IGCSEs are more respected and the fact that mainly private schools do it shows you have come from a better environment which helps university applications.

P.s. When universities state that 'the background you come from does not matter' it does. My uncle works on the admissions board for Oxford, and they take in account whether the applicant has gone to a private school or not as private school applicants are usually better mannered and have better morals.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I dont think education really defines morals, Its mainly your upbringing (parents, family, the environment you`ve been living around, the influences etc)
I don't see what your post has to do with morals, unis are unlikely to assess your moral standing when you apply, you are right though someone who attains good grades through a state school is likely to do better at uni than a private school equivalent, they did a study on it recently I think.

If a post on tsr gets you angry it's most likely a troll btw.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by justanotherposter
I don't see what your post has to do with morals, unis are unlikely to assess your moral standing when you apply, you are right though someone who attains good grades through a public school is likely to do better at uni than a public school equivalent, they did a study on it recently I think.

No, just her post in general. Sorry, the title is misleading xD
Reply 4
Original post by justanotherposter
I don't see what your post has to do with morals, unis are unlikely to assess your moral standing when you apply, you are right though someone who attains good grades through a public school is likely to do better at uni than a private school equivalent, they did a study on it recently I think.

If a post on tsr gets you angry it's most likely a troll btw.

State school and public school are very different things.
Reply 5
Original post by thechemistress
After having see somebody post this on here, I was literally shocked into silence. Is what they're saying true, or is it just another case of private school snobbery? I personally think it's a load of rubbish- surely going to a private school can work against you? (This is a hypothetical situation btw). Say two people are competeting for the same place in a course at a uni, and they're virtually identical in terms of predicted grades, work experience, interview scores etc.- the only difference between them is that one goes to a high-achieving private school and the other to a pretty crap state school. Surely the university is more likely to give the place to the comprehensive student, simply because they are likely to have worked harder for the same grades? This is what I've always heard, and I don't even go to a comprehensive- I go to a grammar school.

all this is is a case of people who dont understand statistics.
There is a significant link between intellegence and the number of books in your house when you were a child, the success of your working life and how many museums you were taken to as a child etc etc etc.

There are also negative links between your name and attending top universities for example.

What you see is correlation, not causation. Private school kids are not on average better behaved because they go to private school, it is because of a third factor which is linked to both events.

the number of books in your house and your intellegence has nothing to do with the books. There is no obvious difference between those who read to their children and those who have lots of books but never read any to their children.
What matters is who your parents are. The types of people who own lots of books tend to be the type of people who see value in learning. The same with parents who take their kids to museums. It is not these small events that give their kids the advantage, it is the tiny, invisible nudges parents provide over their entire life. It is about the fact that these parents are more likely to spend time with their kids then go to the pub after work, that they make better provisions for their childs education and that they reinforce all of this to the children.

In just the same way, private schools are (as unfashionable as it may be to believe) largely made of children of people who are from new money. Bankers, lawyers, people who have made themselves a success in this world. These people are incredibly likely to be highly educated, to understand the importance of behaviour and professionalism and to be educated enough to see the importance of being honest and trustworthy.
These children dont learn manners from school, they learn it because their parents are the type of adults who prioritise a host of traits that are essentialy for succesful professionals.
Original post by Ronove
State school and public school are very different things.

Sorry clearly I've been watching too much American TV!
But surely private schoolers are more mature and sophisticated, as they have been brought up in posh area, where there's perhaps less crime or something. Compared to someone who comes from quite a bad area. Personally I think universities would accept private school students. But that just my view

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by c471

In just the same way, private schools are (as unfashionable as it may be to believe) largely made of children of people who are from new money. Bankers, lawyers, people who have made themselves a success in this world. These people are incredibly likely to be highly educated...

I think you make a terrific post but I wonder whether this bit is true. It likely is for London day schools, though I think the characterising of bankers and lawyers as "new money" is in many cases probably inaccurate. But at private schools more generally the new money will as often have come from trade: the prosperous builder, the health club and tanning salons owner...

My strong suspicion is that you could find a lot of state grammars and high-performing comprehensives at which the parents were on the average more highly educated than their counterparts at private schools. These are the schools at which the ordnary thing is that parents are teachers and quantity surveryors and accountants in local government and so on.
Original post by Madisonrose
But surely private schoolers are more mature and sophisticated, as they have been brought up in posh area, where there's perhaps less crime or something. Compared to someone who comes from quite a bad area. Personally I think universities would accept private school students. But that just my view

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not necessarily, just because you come from a more affluent background doesn't mean you are more mature or sophisticated, sophisticated maybe, mature not so much. I'm also inclined to say that those from more affluent backgrounds are more likely to be douchebags and are less likely to actually appreciate a lot of things for what they are actually worth.

The University should take the best student, unless they are giving away bursaries/scholarships they don't particularly care about your background, they get their money either way. They'd be much more interested in your competence, they want the results. In all likelihood you aren't going to be going to a decent university if you come from a bad area and have the worse of the bad habits that could come with it.
I went to a private school... and a significant proportion of kids were b&#&#&#'s...
Reply 11
Morality-wise, no. People from public schools are likely to have stronger educational values on average when compared to state school students, but not when compared to a state schooler with good grades (otherwise the state schooler wouldn't have the grades in the first place). The main difference between the two would likely be the level of "sophistication", which has no impact on your success at Uni and, therefore, wouldn't be taken into account.

Original post by c471
all this is is a case of people who dont understand statistics.
There is a significant link between intellegence and the number of books in your house when you were a child, the success of your working life and how many museums you were taken to as a child etc etc etc.

I see someone's been reading Freakonomics. :holmes:
Original post by hellodave5
I went to a private school... and a significant proportion of kids were b&#&#&#'s...

Got nothing to do with private school, everything to do with people in general...

Also the kind of reverse snobbery the OP mentions regarding uni admission is, believe it or not, the main reason why I and most of the people I went to school with (and still talk to, most of them I don't) just don't mention we went to a private school because for the most part it really isn't worth the hassle of being judged because of it.
Reply 13
You know, I can't help thinking about our current politicians - the old Etonian 'Bullingdon Boys' or whatever they called themselves. Boris Johnson, Cameron et al. They went round smashing up restaurants but their privilege meant they could pay for any damage afterwards. So, tell me again about morals and maturity?
Original post by mojojojo101
Got nothing to do with private school, everything to do with people in general...

Also the kind of reverse snobbery the OP mentions regarding uni admission is, believe it or not, the main reason why I and most of the people I went to school with (and still talk to, most of them I don't) just don't mention we went to a private school because for the most part it really isn't worth the hassle of being judged because of it.

Yep, completely agree!
Apologies for brevity, just busy atm :P
Reply 15
Original post by cambio wechsel
I think you make a terrific post but I wonder whether this bit is true. It likely is for London day schools, though I think the characterising of bankers and lawyers as "new money" is in many cases probably inaccurate. But at private schools more generally the new money will as often have come from trade: the prosperous builder, the health club and tanning salons owner...

My strong suspicion is that you could find a lot of state grammars and high-performing comprehensives at which the parents were on the average more highly educated than their counterparts at private schools. These are the schools at which the ordnary thing is that parents are teachers and quantity surveryors and accountants in local government and so on.

I guess I mean new money in the broader sense. Certainly every banker I know sends their children to private school. Undoubtedly there is lots of self made parents, but this still holds true. If you made your fortune running your own business, you almost certainly will have a deep appreciation for a host of skills.

Also lets not forget that the type of person who pays extortionate private school fees is likely to be the sort of parent who takes a keen interest in their kids. And throw in that these children will grow up seeing the attitude of their parents. Nobody earns enough to send their kids to private school without a keen work ethic and robust set of professional ethics.
Original post by Madisonrose

What is the causative link between living in an area with less crime and possessing a superior moral compass?
Reply 17
Original post by MostUncivilised
What is the causative link between living in an area with less crime and possessing a superior moral compass?

Should've expected this. :rofl:
Original post by thechemistress

Who posted the bit you quoted about Oxford, and on what thread? Their quote about Oxford is a load of *******s :mad:
Original post by Ronove
Should've expected this. :rofl:

I'm very keen to know what Madisonrose is claiming it the link between living in more gentrified areas with less crime, and having superior moral values, hence my question to her. For the life of me, I can't even guess at what she is getting at

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending