The Student Room Group

The 'What do you think of my website' thread

Scroll to see replies

alpha_omega
Check out my Blog, ive worked pretty hard on it, any comments?
http://thebuzzwright.com

I like the layout and design of your site, I think it's ideal for the topic. The only thing I would say is that you should look at other sites to see how they make the latest post more prominent, or have a 'featured items' box at the top of the page to get people interested in the content you have to offer.
CSmiley91
Regarding the feel for your site, I meant the overall colour scheme and layout.. I find that they work very well together and I really like it.

Thank you very much for the feedback for my website also, I'm planning a small update to the site over the next week or so and I'll take your comments on board.

Thanks,
Chris!

Hi Chris, thanks for clarifying that, and for the rep as well. I'll return it in just a minute, I did try last night but had already used mine for yesterday lol

Olly
Ape Gone Insane
General curiousity:

So posting websites that are ad-driven are considered under "Advertising"?

My website has no ads whatsoever. :shock:

So, I'm free to advertise? - Not that I'm going to or want to :sigh:

www.paranoidape.com

Generally, the rule is that if you stand to gain anything by posting a link, it's considered advertising. "Anything" includes (but is not limited to), money, site ranking, membership, publicity, sponsorship, "stuffing" page impression data etc.
Reply 1023
hi all.
two things.
1. i doubt i'm in the right forum.
2. im not sure im allowed to do this next bit..

ringostarrisavegetarian.blogspot.com

thats my minor review blog i've set up. Im 16, and received some encouraging comments about my reviews but want to send them to the people in the know, but have no idea how?

does anyone know who to send to?

many thanks
internet blogs are a start, its just getting enough people to look at it, so people to take note, you try and get writing for a small paper, i review music for my uni paper

who to send them too is a good question, you have any local small papers that review music

a note don't swear in them :p:
Reply 1025
robinson999
internet blogs are a start, its just getting enough people to look at it, so people to take note, you try and get writing for a small paper, i review music for my uni paper

who to send them too is a good question, you have any local small papers that review music

a note don't swear in them :p:

nice one mate, have you got any online i can look at?
i wont steal, promise!

thanks
Dixxy
nice one mate, have you got any online i can look at?
i wont steal, promise!

thanks

as far as i known no :p: some where on my SU website archive
Dixxy
hi all.
two things.

thats my minor review blog i've set up. Im 16, and received some encouraging comments about my reviews but want to send them to the people in the know, but have no idea how?

many thanks

Just read your reviews, and to be honest, they come across as quite condescending, and pretentious, so you should work on that. Also, they're a little obvious. Just a little constructive criticism. Make sure your work's at its best before sending it out to loads of people-you only get one chance to make a first impression afterall and you don't want to burn any bridges before you even get properly started. :p:

Good luck with it though!
7/10 for Muse - Resistance is generous for the review you gave it:zomg:

About the writing style...it's very...try hard and condescending. It sounds a bit forced, you can probably write better if you don't force it to be funny.

:hide:
Reply 1029
I was going to say that it sounds a bit like something you'd find in NME, which isn't always a good thing. If you're giving a good review, you should use more praise and less sarcastic quips.
There's very little description of the actual music.

You obviously have some writing talent, just try writing a bit more naturally..
Dixxy
hi all.
two things.

many thanks

I've merged this with the "'What do you think of my website' thread" :smile:
have a look
http://anhonestbritishteenager.blogspot.com/

comment or whatever xx
Bit desperate asking for people to comment, no?
Reply 1033
Still need work but anyone have suggestions for my friends site? www.vote-book.com
http://www.shaunmunro.co.uk/midnight/index.html

This is the current design I've been working on over the last few days. Only two review links work - (30 Days of Night and 9 Songs) - but I'm going to get them all up over the coming week.

What do you make of the design? Good? Bad? I tried to make it as accessible as possible and spent a while optimising it for all operating systems and browsers as best possible.

Thanks! :smile:
Boy, your not generous.
Reply 1036
It's not bad, but you could look at improving some things that stick out at me:

1i.) The "ALL THE LATEST FILM NEWS, REVIEWS, AND PREVIEWS." bit speaks for itself, and
1ii.) The "PRIZES ALSO TO BE WON!" just looks like a scam, especially if you're a one-man team.

2.) The horizontal menu doesn't look like it should fit there, it's just... blue shiney buttons floating somewhere that they don't fit. Try and make something that either has the same style as the rest of the page, or even just use formatted text rather than image-backgrounded buttons. Then it'll be easier to make it sit well on the page.

3.) The ad down the left hand side is frankly crap; too much text, the orange doesn't go, too much underlining and CAPITALISING. FREE COOKIES!!!

4.) The copyright bit at the bottom looks a bit out of place since its background contrasts so much with the black background on the rest of the page. It has a slight border at the top, so it looks like it should either stretch to the far left and right of the page and fill up the bottom, or have borders down the left and right too (or have borders on the left and right hand sides of the main text column)

5.) Your writing style is a bit cliché and monotonous. All of the reviews on there at the moment start with "[Brief description using adjectives], [name of movie] is [a bit more description] ..." and so on. Try and spice it up a bit :p:

6i.) The animation in the logo makes my eyes hurt after a while. It's a nice image and it looks good, but as a main logo on a web page it's normally best to have something static (or, if it must be animated, less loud); and
6ii.) Having a thick grey border around the logo doesn't look reet.

7.) Having a forum is a bit (very) ambitious for a start-up website which isn't designed as an online community. While it's small, just stick to having comments on the reviews or something -- otherwise the forum will just be an unused ghost-town-like thing and will probably attract spambots.
That's cool. The "mini reviews" on the main page were just knocked out quickly as placeholders anyway :smile:
Reply 1038
Personally I don't like the black with blue (green when scrolled over) buttons color scheme.

You might also like to post here.
Reply 1039
guitarromantic
http://www.scenepointblank.com is mine. Wrote the backend and layout (needs updating, I'm working on that since it doesn't validate whatsoever) over most of last summer and I've been adding bugfixes and features ever since. We get about 25,000 hits per month and 40% of those are returning visitors so we have a fairly regular audience.

That's a nice site. :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending