The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Opening up about "worthless degrees" and their detrimental effects - STEM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TolerantBeing
You just called Psychology a mickey mouse degree... Do you even know what psychology is? Tell me exactly, how Psychology is a mickey mouse degree?

So you don't think that the treatment of any mental health disease is important either? Or do you think a tablet is more important? You don't think Alzheimer's is worthy of research? You don't think any neuro-degenerative disease is important? Sure, you don't think the cognitive, neurobiological effects of having a stroke are worthy to be researched? You don't think perception such as vision and hearing are worthy of consideration? Perhaps you don't think disorders such as manic depression, bi-polar, schizophrenia exist? Perhaps we should just ignore brain damage completely? Shall we just ignore cortical-blindness? Visual aphasia? Perhaps we should just ignore childhood developmental disorders? Shall we just not bother with therapy for helping people come to terms with terminal illness, abuse etc. Let's just not bother with the development of medication for those suffering from depression, bi-polar, schizophrenia, addiction etc. **** SSRI's, they aren't worthy. Perhaps we should just ignore research into child cognitive, emotional and academic development, because it has no effect on our education, or social care system whatsoever does it?

By essential saying Psychology is a pointless, mickey mouse degree, you've basically said all of the above. You've grossly underestimated psychology there. I don't think you quite realise how much psychology is used in your life. What persuaded you to use a certain product? Psychology had a hand in that. Do you know the electoral campaigns in the next election? A nice big chunk of politcal psychology is used in that, persuading you who to vote for. Do you think there are no male psychologists? What a joke.

It's people like you who'd still have men suffering from PTSD from the war being crticised as being weak minded. It's people with your mindset who'd see people going to therapy as failures in life.

So closed-minded, shame on you. :nope:

It's Mickey Mouse in the sense that 90% of people will end up in dead end, unrelated jobs, make no money and contribute close to nothing to society, not while using their degree anyway (that they will probably never pay back). How many psychologist graduates do you think will amount to anything in the field ? Only 2-3% actually become psychologists. It's like saying media studies or film are great degrees because you might end up the next bbc anchor or blockbuster director? When in reality your chance is close to 1%, if that. The average STEM graduate will earn a lot more money and also contribute to society through his work and/or taxes paid while using his degree and paying back his loans.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2010/feb/13/degree-in-pyschology-job-options

Original post by ChickenMadness
no ones stopping a sociologist from becoming an entrepreneur.

There is no academic course that can teach you to be one. Most of them are school dropouts.

Tbf the vast majority of millionaires and billionaires do have university degrees, a small number don't (or dropped out) and only a tiny percentage dropped out of school
Original post by bertstare
Tbf the vast majority of millionaires and billionaires do have university degrees, a small number don't (or dropped out) and only a tiny percentage dropped out of school

eh true. Also stuff like acting a lot of them have university degrees. E.g. Brad Pitt has one in journalism(I think)
Reply 63
Look mate, everyone already knows that STEM has good employment prospects. Have you considered the fact that if everyone else decided to go into STEM, the degrees would no longer be so employable? I'm quite happy to work hard at my degree and then get a good job. Let everyone else's decision be up to them.
Also why would you want to study a degree that leads to some really mediocre low payed jobs anyway?
Unless you're actually passionate about the sciences lol. I looked long and hard at all the STEM jobs and none of them pay you enough to make up for how miserable and boring they are. Was planning on doing medicine before all the doctors discouraged me about how ****ty their jobs are lmao.
You could be an engineer or anything similar and you'l be doing that job until you're 65 before you can retire. Which is good if you actually like engineering.

If you want Money you don't go into STEM. Thats a low risk low reward place to go into. I'm very much of the 'He who dares wins' mindset and like competing.

The only degrees you should be considering if money is your motivation is an apprenticeship in an investment bank, medicine, Law. (job prospects for law are low though. You need to be top of your class and/or have connections to break into it). Or trying your luck in acting, business, singing etc.

Also my degree is in the 'arts' but the emplyment rate for my course and similar courses in other top unversities is 80-100% . So I'll be getting a job anyway especially if I'm one of the best coming out of the class which is what I always aim for. And it's going to be in a job thats actually stimulating, creative and fun. Or it will be a slightly boring one but high paying like, modelling fake cars for adverts, since its a highly skilled job.
(edited 9 years ago)
You just called Psychology a mickey mouse degree... Do you even know what psychology is? Tell me exactly, how Psychology is a mickey mouse degree?

So you don't think that the treatment of any mental health disease is important either? Or do you think a tablet is more important? You don't think Alzheimer's is worthy of research? You don't think any neuro-degenerative disease is important? Sure, you don't think the cognitive, neurobiological effects of having a stroke are worthy to be researched? You don't think perception such as vision and hearing are worthy of consideration? Perhaps you don't think disorders such as manic depression, bi-polar, schizophrenia exist? Perhaps we should just ignore brain damage completely? Shall we just ignore cortical-blindness? Visual aphasia? Perhaps we should just ignore childhood developmental disorders? Shall we just not bother with therapy for helping people come to terms with terminal illness, abuse etc. Let's just not bother with the development of medication for those suffering from depression, bi-polar, schizophrenia, addiction etc. **** SSRI's, they aren't worthy. Forget about Autism, and Down Syndrom, and Pervasive Development Disorder, they aren't worthy of study. Perhaps we should just ignore research into child cognitive, emotional and academic development, because it has no effect on our education, or social care system whatsoever does it?

By essential saying Psychology is a pointless, mickey mouse degree, you've basically said all of the above shouldn't even be considered. Without psychology, they we wouldn't even have a word for those. You've grossly underestimated psychology there. I don't think you quite realise how much psychology is used in your life. What persuaded you to use a certain product? Psychology had a hand in that. Do you know the electoral campaigns in the next election? A nice big chunk of politcal psychology is used in that, persuading you who to vote for. Do you think there are no male psychologists? What a joke.

It's people like you who'd still have men suffering from PTSD from the war being crticised as being weak minded. It's people with your mindset who'd see people going to therapy as failures in life.

So closed-minded, shame on you. :nope:

Same goes for you buddy, read above if you care to broaden your narrow horizon. I do psychology, with the aim of working with Autism. Come at me bro.

if you have an ology you are a soyentist
Original post by Dylann
"
It's so important that we stop telling our youth to "study what they love" or "follow your dreams" - People are not going to pay you to follow your dreams. Worthless degrees are degrees that lead to low employment prospects - especially outside academia.

An example of a few:

English
Religious Studies
Womens' Studies
Geography
History
Sociology
Media

Why are these degrees "worthless"? Well it's simple - they don't provide much for society (except research) and do not demonstrate skills employers are looking for. It's all about supply and demand - people want petrol, ipods, phones, laptops, but no-one wants to be petroleum engineers, electrical engineers or computer scientists!

A) Making money is normally not most peoples defining motivator, and every ones employment prospects are in the ****ter at the moment not just the people that don't do STEM subjects.

B) Most jobs simply ask for a degree and don't actually ask for expertise in a specific field as there are several skills that are universal to all degrees that employers find useful.

C) Just because a topic is unscientific doesn't mean it doesn't contribute to society. Art reflects cultural and idealogical attitudes of the times, demonstrates social growth. Science doesn't generally do this, it doesn't drive social change. Science can make peoples lives easier but not necessarily better.

D) Some people just have no interest or aptitude for STEM subjects and would be miserable doing them.

E) Your examples are bull****

English- So authors, playwrights and screen writers don't make good amounts of money if they're good at their job?

Relgious studies- So the majority of the human race isn't religious? Understanding the histories and cultures of countries of differing religions isn't useful in a world where a significant portion of violence in religiously motivated.

Womens studies- So women aren't treated as second class citizens in significant regions of the globe? Womens rights movements and feminists aren't a significant political lobby?

Geography- So the people who makes the worlds maps, helps oil industries find oil, helps mining companies find precious metals and gems, aids in understanding and predicting natural disasters isn't a field thats going to get you employed?

History- so understanding the social impacts of the worlds history and how it shapes current borders and attitudes isn't important?

Sociology- Understanding how people behave in a world that is increasingly better connected isn't valuable?

Media- Because television, is this minor thing that noones really heard of.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LiftOrDieMirin
It's Mickey Mouse in the sense that 90% of people will end up in dead end, unrelated jobs, make no money and contribute close to nothing to society, not while using their degree anyway (that they will probably never pay back). How many psychologist graduates do you think will amount to anything in the field ? Only 2-3% actually become psychologists. It's like saying media studies or film are great degrees because you might end up the next bbc anchor or blockbuster director? When in reality your chance is close to 1%, if that. The average STEM graduate will earn a lot more money and also contribute to society through his work and/or taxes paid while using his degree and paying back his loans.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2010/feb/13/degree-in-pyschology-job-options

Then you don't know what a mickey mouse degree is mate. Because you're basically saying, if a physics degree was oversubscribed, it'd become a mickey mouse degree? Poor grasp on semantics.

It's not us Psychologists fault that it is massively oversubscribed, what can we say? It's a popular subject, with attractive people. :cool: Considering the vast amount of Psychology undergrads, the small % of postgrads (although much higher than your estimation) is still a lot.
Original post by the bear
if you have an ology you are a soyentist

Biology? Neurobiology? Bull ****e.
Original post by Gwilym101
English- So authors, playwrights and screen writers don't make good amounts of money if they're good at their job?

Relgious studies- So the majority of the human race isn't religious? Understanding the histories and cultures of countries of differing religions isn't useful in a world where a significant portion of violence in religiously motivated.

Womens studies- So women aren't treated as second class citizens in significant regions of the globe? Womens rights movements and feminists aren't a significant political lobby?

History- so understanding the social impacts of the worlds history and how it shapes current borders and attitudes isn't important?

Sociology- Understanding how people behave in a world that is increasingly better connected isn't valuable?

Media- Because television, is this minor thing that noones really heard of.

Just because the subject is important, doesn't mean a degree in it is useful. For example you don't need an English degree to be a writer. What vanishing proportion of English grads will be professional writers?

Television is hugely important and great and influential. But why do we need people with degrees in media? Do you think the rest of us will be scratching our heads failing to understand what we're watching, unable to create new television until the media studies grads ride in to save us?

Geography- So the people who makes the worlds maps, helps oil industries find oil, helps mining companies find precious metals and gems, aids in understanding and predicting natural disasters isn't a field thats going to get you employed?

But it's engineers, chem engs, and geologists who did this (apart from the maps maybe?) i.e. STEM grads.

Original post by infairverona
Do you ever read a novel, watch a film, go to a museum? That is why we need these degrees.

No. I believe people wrote books long before there were literature degrees, and made films long before media studies degrees. Museums I will give you - we probably do need some archaeologists, historians, and anthropologists to inform us about the past. But the issue is supply and demand. We need very few, and very many are being educated.
Biology? Neurobiology? Bull ****e.

hmmm you are not being tolerant :rofl:
hmmm you are not being tolerant :rofl:

I'm the one being tolerant and you aren't :rofl: You just disregarded biology etc, and I'm saying they are worthwhile? How is that intolerant?
I'm the one being tolerant and you aren't :rofl: You just disregarded biology etc, and I'm saying they are worthwhile? How is that intolerant?

do you have an ology ?
Original post by chazwomaq

No. I believe people wrote books long before there were literature degrees, and made films long before media studies degrees. Museums I will give you - we probably do need some archaeologists, historians, and anthropologists to inform us about the past. But the issue is supply and demand. We need very few, and very many are being educated.

So what? If you want to do something involving writing then an english degree is useful. I keep seeing publishing jobs requiring an english degree. When everyone these days has a degree, if you want to get into something like publishing, editing, journalism etc you need a relevant degree to do it, most of the time. English is that degree. Writing is an important skill which is IMO often overlooked. I have a lot of friends at uni doing physics and engineering and I absolutely despair when I see how downright shocking their spelling and grammar is - but because they can do science and maths, they're at a RG uni doing a STEM subject. Try applying for jobs with bad grammar and spelling because you believe your subject is superior.

Also have you even considered that to teach these subjects you need that degree. You gain transferable skills from those degrees that you can apply to many jobs. You might love the subject and want to study it even if it doesn't relate to what you want to do after university. I study Law, not even a humanities subject, but the utility of these subjects is so underestimated by people doing STEM it pisses me off. STEM to me sounds boring as hell, people can study what they want while the courses are offered. It isn't for you or anyone else to dictate to others what subject is and isn't worthy of their time, effort and money.
Original post by Ndella
What is with this forum and their failure to understand that people do what they want to do? If people end up in bad jobs with their "useless" degree choices then so be it. Besides, not all humanities subjects are useless (such as History) due the transferrable skills they provide in a degree.

The main issue is, they should be told that they will most liikely not recieve any benefit from doing their degree financially, and most likely would be dentrimental.

An expoly history students transferrablee skills would be pretty low, especially comparing to a a level A* student
Then you don't know what a mickey mouse degree is mate. Because you're basically saying, if a physics degree was oversubscribed, it'd become a mickey mouse degree? Poor grasp on semantics.

It's not us Psychologists fault that it is massively oversubscribed, what can we say? It's a popular subject, with attractive people. :cool: Considering the vast amount of Psychology undergrads, the small % of postgrads (although much higher than your estimation) is still a lot.

Psychology as a discipline is not useless. Psychology as a degree is, for the vast majority of graduates. A MM degree is one that doesn't help you get a proper job and you end up serving coffee at Costa. Physics would never be oversubscribed because very few people are able to do it. Why do you think psychology type degrees are so popular? Because they're hard? Do you think as many people would be able get a degree in physics?

http://www.statisticbrain.com/iq-estimates-by-intended-college-major/

The physics students score much higher on average even in the verbal test (not to mention destroy them in the math one). Their IQ is 20 points higher. The average psychology student is a short bus passenger compared to the average physics student and wouldn't complete a physics degree in 100 years. There would never be too many students in physics because mediocre people can't handle it. And even if there were, they would be regarded as very employable since it's one of the toughest courses you could apply for so the person is naturally gifted.

As for the number of psychologists, it's in the Guardian link I gave you . 18% out of 13.9%. You do the math, ''mate''.
do you have an ology ?

I have an ology.

zoology.

No idea what the employment prospects are like but seriously how does Biology have poor employment prospects? Every single person bar two zoologists (who made the mistake of obsessing over Africa with their work experience) of my undergrad Biology cohort that I have on facebook either has a job, internship or went onto a PhD/Masters than PhD. That's over 100 people.
Original post by redferry
I have an ology.

zoology.

No idea what the employment prospects are like but seriously how does Biology have poor employment prospects? Every single person bar two zoologists (who made the mistake of obsessing over Africa with their work experience) of my undergrad Biology cohort that I have on facebook either has a job, internship or went onto a PhD/Masters than PhD. That's over 100 people.

that is marvellous. so do you work with the elephants ?
that is marvellous. so do you work with the elephants ?

No bats and computer models mainly.

Elephants aren't really my jam.
Original post by LiftOrDieMirin
Psychology as a discipline is not useless. Psychology as a degree is, for the vast majority of graduates. A MM degree is one that doesn't help you get a proper job and you end up serving coffee at Costa. Physics would never be oversubscribed because very few people are able to do it. Why do you think psychology type degrees are so popular? Because they're hard? Do you think as many people would be able get a degree in physics?

http://www.statisticbrain.com/iq-estimates-by-intended-college-major/

The physics students score much higher on average even in the verbal test (not to mention destroy them in the math one). Their IQ is 20 points higher. The average psychology student is a short bus passenger compared to the average physics student and wouldn't complete a physics degree in 100 years. There would never be too many students in physics because mediocre people can't handle it. And even if there were, they would be regarded as very employable since it's one of the toughest courses you could apply for so the person is naturally gifted.

As for the number of psychologists, it's in the Guardian link I gave you . 18% out of 13.9%. You do the math, ''mate''.

Thanks for being a massive dick. Do you think I don't know that a physics degree is more mentally taxing and requires a more academic mind? And I don't understand what you want, you're saying that too many people do psychology, but then you're saying they do psychology because they aren't mentally able to do a degree like physics? So what do you want them to do, not bother do a degree in the first place?

I'm doing a psychology degree, and I plan on doing research with Autism, or if not do child psychology. Do you have a problem with that? Because you're basically saying I shouldn't bother?

What you're refusing to ignore, is a vast amount of Psychology undergrads don't even want to do Psychology afterwards. A lot of them found it harder than they thought, or more boring and too 'scientific'. Expecting it to be about all the interesting stuff, which it certainly isn't. A lot of graduates are happy to go into HR and that sort of thing.

I don't know why you STEM people feel a massive need to make everyone else studying hard at their degree feel like utter ****. Why do you do it? Lack of emotional intelligence/ social awareness? Sheldon Cooper like Aspergers symptoms?

And btw, guess who developed those intelligence tests?
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending