The Student Room Group

The Bartlett summer school

Anyone else planning on going to the Bartlett summer school this year (2014)?
If you went to a previous one, out of interest, what did you think of it,and what are you doing now?
:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by I-am-a-ninja
If you went to a previous one, out of interest, what did you think of it,and what are you doing now?

Hi I am a ninja,

I haven't looked into this (sorry that's sloppy of me) but is the summer school open to non-architecture degree students?

I studied english lit at uni (BA) and I want to change course into architecture, although I don't think it possible. Is this summer school a stepping stone to Architecture?

Eeek excited!
Original post by TambourineGirl
Hi I am a ninja,

I haven't looked into this (sorry that's sloppy of me) but is the summer school open to non-architecture degree students?

I studied english lit at uni (BA) and I want to change course into architecture, although I don't think it possible. Is this summer school a stepping stone to Architecture?

Eeek excited!

Yeah I'm sure you'd be fine to apply: according to the website http://www.bartlett.ucl.ac.uk/architecture/programmes/short-courses/summer-school "Each year we welcome a group of participants of varying ages and differing backgrounds, including prospective university students, international students, secondary school students and those who are simply keen to develop their interest and get a taste of The Bartlett School of Architecture."

I'm (almost) 18, and took the 'wrong' A-levels for Architecture, so I might apply to this. But it's really expensive (£700 excluding accommodation etc), so I'm not sure if I can afford it yet.
Hope that helped :smile:
Yeah I'm sure you'd be fine to apply: according to the website http://www.bartlett.ucl.ac.uk/architecture/programmes/short-courses/summer-school "Each year we welcome a group of participants of varying ages and differing backgrounds, including prospective university students, international students, secondary school students and those who are simply keen to develop their interest and get a taste of The Bartlett School of Architecture."

I'm (almost) 18, and took the 'wrong' A-levels for Architecture, so I might apply to this. But it's really expensive (£700 excluding accommodation etc), so I'm not sure if I can afford it yet.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat £700? That's a total rip-off, how long for? What A Levels did you take? I'm sure you can apply for Architecture anyway, do it honestly. I'm a grad now, so it's my place to say to you: it's never too late!

PS. Thank you for the link!
I'm doing Maths, Chemistry and Biology
and did AS Physics last year.
My parents kinda pushed me to do medicine
I'm doing Maths, Chemistry and Biology
and did AS Physics last year.
My parents kinda pushed me to do medicine

Oh I see. So you have a place for Medicine at uni?
Oh I see. So you have a place for Medicine at uni?

No, I decided not to apply this year. Gonna apply (hopefully) for architecture next year, while I do an Art Foundation :smile:
No, I decided not to apply this year. Gonna apply (hopefully) for architecture next year, while I do an Art Foundation :smile:

That is what I like to hear! You go for it, fantastic news. And I'll let you know if I make it to the summer school!
Reply 9
Yh I'm thinking of applying too. Just thinking about what to draw for the drawing we have to send with our statement and application.
Reply 10

Hi I went last year, like 2 days after my 16th brthday, so I was like a baby compared to some of them. It was amazing, I loved it, I definitely am applying for UCL at A2-(As at the mo, doing Art, Classics, Eng, Bio).
It is quite informal and very experimental, you meet loads of people for everywhere, about 90% of the students are foreign. Most of them range from 16-21 in age. The teachers are actual teacher, artists, archtiects... there were about 80 students, divided into groups of 20 with 3 mentors. You go on lots of visits in London and you are free to use anything in the building. Our group was split into groups of 5-6 and was lead by one mentor, the first week we created a model of hyde park like 10m in length in the lobby with floating rafts that were outdoor entertainment spaces. The 2nd week we created a system for exchanging materials from the basement to 5th floor. Definitely do it, be creative have fun!
Also email Ms. Bush, call her, she never ever replies! Took me ages to contact her!
I will attach some photos!
IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lakesx
Hi I went last year, like 2 days after my 16th brthday, so I was like a baby compared to some of them. It was amazing, I loved it, I definitely am applying for UCL at A2-(As at the mo, doing Art, Classics, Eng, Bio).
It is quite informal and very experimental, you meet loads of people for everywhere, about 90% of the students are foreign. Most of them range from 16-21 in age. The teachers are actual teacher, artists, archtiects... there were about 80 students, divided into groups of 20 with 3 mentors. You go on lots of visits in London and you are free to use anything in the building. Our group was split into groups of 5-6 and was lead by one mentor, the first week we created a model of hyde park like 10m in length in the lobby with floating rafts that were outdoor entertainment spaces. The 2nd week we created a system for exchanging materials from the basement to 5th floor. Definitely do it, be creative have fun!
Also email Ms. Bush, call her, she never ever replies! Took me ages to contact her!
I will attach some photos!
IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

Thanks :smile: I'm guessing we'll be applying in the same year then.
I'm not sure, are you supposed to send your application by post or is Email fine?
Reply 12
Thanks :smile: I'm guessing we'll be applying in the same year then.
I'm not sure, are you supposed to send your application by post or is Email fine?

Yeah I suppose so, are you 2015 entry? Where are you applying?
I have not heard of anyone posting it, I would do it via phone or email...
Original post by Lakesx
Yeah I suppose so, are you 2015 entry? Where are you applying?
I have not heard of anyone posting it, I would do it via phone or email...

Yeah I am
Probably something like: Bath, UCL, Sheffield, Manchester, and Nottingham/ Liverpool (both if I don't get an A*)
You?
Reply 14
Yeah I am
Probably something like: Bath, UCL, Sheffield, Manchester, and Nottingham/ Liverpool (both if I don't get an A*)
You?

I am thinking of ucl, Sheffield, Edinburgh, Cambridge, the AA and one other...
What subjects are you taking?
Original post by Lakesx
I am thinking of ucl, Sheffield, Edinburgh, Cambridge, the AA and one other...
What subjects are you taking?

Maths, Chemistry and Biology. Didn't do Art so im doing an Art Foundation at my college next year
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Maths, Chemistry and Biology. Didn't do Art so im doing an Art Foundation at my college next year

Oh okay, I am doing art, bio, eng and classics, but I am dropping eng for a2... How come you did not take an Art alevel? Also there are a number of unis that go for maths rather then art, so it is not incredibly important to get in.
Reply 17
Whaaaaaaaaaaat £700? That's a total rip-off, how long for? What A Levels did you take? I'm sure you can apply for Architecture anyway, do it honestly. I'm a grad now, so it's my place to say to you: it's never too late!

Hi Guys, my names Dominiq and I'm going to the Bartlett school of Architecture summer school! I studied the IB Course and architecture is the next step. Tambourine Girl, dont see it as a rip but an investment you will reap from it. :biggrin:
Original post by DominiqO
Hi Guys, my names Dominiq and I'm going to the Bartlett school of Architecture summer school! I studied the IB Course and architecture is the next step. Tambourine Girl, dont see it as a rip but an investment you will reap from it. :biggrin:

What did you study for your IB? :smile:
Original post by DominiqO

Haha, thanks Dominiq. Sadly, I am a graduate already, so the idea of going back for another 7 years to become an architect now seems a little unrealistic! Thank you so much anyway - I hope you have a great time on the course! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending