The Student Room Group

Five reasons we need MORE feminism

Scroll to see replies

http://whoneedsfeminism.tumblr.com/page/17

Read some of the posts on here and then ask why we need feminism. It worries me a lot that some women can claim they're not feminists when if you looks it up, feminism means that you believe women are equal to men and should be treated equally. So unless you either think that you don't deserve to be treated equally as men or think you should be treated better, both of the reasons are terrible

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
Original post by Enoxial
Did you even verify this?
A few days ago there was a short interview on CNN in which trend analysts said that in the last 25 years women salaries have grown by 35% and men 0%

Again, did you even verify this?
Men maybe more seen in the news but diversity has entered boards thanks to quotas.

This is not because of men.

You for real buddy?

Your first point I agree with, although just because women's salaries have grown it doesn't mean that they must be paid the same. In fact, they are paid less, but the same per hour worked for the same level of experience. The problem they face is childbirth and maternity leave knocks down you experience by a year per kid, thus your wage compared to equal-aged men.

Everybody knows that there are far more men in the top jobs than women, it's ridiculous to content this on the grounds of being factually incorrect. If you're going to argue it, at least argue it on sensible grounds - i.e. lack of experience/drive. This is one thing I do think should be improved on personally though.

And sexually objectification/harassment is because of men - not entirely, but it's certainly not 'not because of men'.
Original post by shoogle
The responses to threads like this on TSR make me so happy that I don't know men (or women) like this in real life.

Yeah, me too. None of the female engineers, doctors, economists, and bankers I know in real life are half as irrational or self-victimising. Thank goodness
Original post by just a dad
As I've eluded to, I have personal experience of hundreds (probably thousands) of client meetings where some form of discrimination or bias is observed. This is not "just such rubbish" but real life hands-on experience.

Out of interest, how many hundreds of executives and corporates have you advised? Just wondered.

Look you throw your trolly opinions all over this site and I don't for a second believe that your are anything other than a teenage girl. However, humouring you for a second: I don't dispute that discrimination occurs in the workplace. But it is not nearly as widespread as you claim. 30 or 40 years ago yes. Not now. Women get jobs the whole time for being women. Men get jobs the whole time for being men. It works both ways.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ha. Ain't that the truth.

So you claim that you see discrimination every single day at work and at the same time you say you don't know anyone like that in real life. Nice to see that you're a consistent troll.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
So you claim that you see discrimination every single day at work and at the same time you say you don't know anyone like that in real life. Nice to see that you're a consistent troll.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I doubt that there are many corporate execs on here.

Actually, I don't see discrimination every single day at work, so need to exaggerate to help me make my point. However I have seen hundreds of real-life examples.
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
Look you throw your trolly opinions all over this site and I don't for a second believe that your are anything other than a teenage girl. However, humouring you for a second: I don't dispute that discrimination occurs in the workplace. But it is not nearly as widespread as you claim. 30 or 40 years ago yes. Not now. Women get jobs the whole time for being women. Men get jobs the whole time for being men. It works both ways.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought these threads were about sharing opinions? Or are you just intimidated by someone with real-life experience, as opposed to your distorted internet based view of such things?

The fact that you are in denial and have to resort to insults is your issue, not mine.
Original post by FriendlyLiberal
1. Men still earn more than women. :frown:
2. Men still overwhelmingly dominate the upper levels of politics and business. :frown:
3. We still live in a rape culture. :frown:
4. Women are still sexually objectified and sexually harassed. :frown:
5. Many men still have sexist and misogynistic views.* :frown:

* For proof, see many of the posts by men on TSR, including probably the posts below. :rolleyes:

Who else agrees we need MORE feminism? :smile:

1. For the same job, that's not true, the reason why it seems men earn more is because men tend to work full time where as a woman is more likely to part-time. A woman is also more likely to take career breaks (raising children) etc

2. That's because more men go for the higher jobs (also they will be likely be working for longer if a woman takes time off to have children, the man will be more experienced)

3. You can't blame this all on men, contrary to what most feminists think, men get raped too.

4. So are men.

5. Women are just sexist, just in different ways.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
1) Societal norms. Women are conditioned to believe they can't/shouldn't do such jobs
2) Childcare issues. There's not much support for women who want to be high powered
3) Hours are not family friendly, tying into previous point
4) The mockery/insults a woman would get
5) Women are often underconfident in their abilities (tying into point 1)
6) Feel it's pointless due to how society is

I don't want a massive debate, but it's not as simple as "if you want the job apply for it". There are still barriers for women

They aren't barriers. No-one tried to stopped women from applying. Just because they have low confidence or whatever doesn't mean people are trying to stop them from applying for jobs.

There are plenty of men who are underconfident in their ability and won't apply for better positions
2. Men still overwhelmingly dominate the upper levels of politics and business. :frown:

* For proof, see many of the posts by men on TSR, including probably the posts below. :rolleyes:

First two - fair enough, though I believe men are just generally more competent and stable and thus them dominating positions of power is just a natural meritocratic outcome of that.

3. I am not naive, but this rape culture simply doesn't exist. Almost nobody thinks it's okay to rape, the closest you can get is men making jokes about it, but men (and many not up-tight women) make jokes about all sorts of generally taboo topics because them being taboo makes it funny.

4 & 5. Most feminazis are, let's be honest, just rancid heffers, bitter that men don't want anything to do with them, so insist on channelling their negativity into describing all men as pigs and insisting they shouldn't have to shave their armpits etc. to be attractive. Well news for them.. if men started all growing their hair out, shaving their bodies, acting weak, and just generally being weird women wouldn't be attracted to them either.

I think all the feminists in this generation are just like squawking baby birds, they've just found out people can actually hear their voices so they feel the need to squawk about complete non-issues to take up space in the limelight, but soon, they will grow up and realise no-one gives a **** what they have to say because they are women.
Reply 90

Reading through this thread but me in some serve emotional pain, huh.

1) THERE IS A WAGE GAP. There's plenty of links provided in the previous replies - I also urge you to realise we are discussing feminism here, not white feminism, and that this discussion also encompasses racial minorities and women in other country. On average, racial minorities are paid less, especially women of racial minorities - this is a problem also needing to be addressed by feminism. On that note, not ALL women are paid less for the same job, so I'm afraid saying 'well I have a friend who' isn't a watertight argument; there will always be exceptions, as individual differences apply.

2) Men do dominate the upper levels of politics! Turn on the tv! Having one or two women in power DOES NOT disprove this. There are more men in power, and while it continues to be drastically unequal this problem is real. Just because some women can balance a family and a upper-end job doesn't mean all women can - shockingly, women also vary in character and behaviour and what one women can do, not all can. Almost like their human!

3) We live in a rape culture. She didn't say - 'women live in a rape culture'. WE live in a rape culture. As a collective society - in this culture, if a woman is raped we ask: what was she wearing? Was she drinking? How late at night was it? Like this could possibly justify a man being unable to control his base desires. When a man is raped, we ask: is he gay? Did he do drugs? Why couldn't he fight the other man off? etc. etc. etc. also igniting stigma against males for not being strong enough, a characteristic usually associated with femininity. Rape culture is a problem for everyone - and yes, the fact that women can't be charged of rape in the UK is ridiculous. They are capable, just as men are, but it's been suggested this inequality in charges exists because women are perceived as being not strong enough to commit this kind of crime, and ties in with the stereotypes surrounding women as maternal, loving, and as a 'victim' when the word rape is used. If we discourage this, I feel it will become easier on all fronts to even out this inequality.

4) Of course women are objectified. Every second of every minute of every day - an advert for glasses? Clear skin? Chocolate? All starring partially undressed females for the sake of male gaze. Women feel pressured to look good because from the day they are born they learn that they have to look good to be taken seriously - but not TOO good, otherwise they just want attention. A woman in a business suit is 'sexy' or 'not fashionable', a man in a business suit is 'professional' and 'successful'. Men are also objectified, I won't argue they aren't, but to a lesser degree. There's also quite a convincing argument that the objectification of men is a result of oppressing women i.e. women are 'weak', so men must be physically fit - and here arrives the pressure for men to have a 6 pack (also explains why women who are body builders do not get a positive reception). Men feel like they can't be feminine, because that's the worst thing you can be - female. We lessen the discrimination against females, then we lessen the discrimination against males. Beautiful, really.

5) Well. I think this speaks for itself. Some good old classics in the first few replies to this thread. Might also be worth mentioning internalised misogyny i.e. why women pressure other women to be sexually appealing and to conform to their perceived ideology. Women are perfectly capable of being misogynistic and it's not a purely male trait; just like men are capable of recognising inequality and becoming a feminist! Women who condemn feminists as being 'whiney' are prime examples, but also feminists who condemn non feminist women as 'dumb'. In fact, being nasty to anyone is pretty counter productive.

Because I feel like this other point has been dragged through the dirt by some rag-tag users, also consider that just because in western country women are starting to gain back rights doesn't mean it's happening all over the world. Annnnnddd men do have most of the physical and dangerous jobs, but this can easily be attributed to the fact that women are discouraged, from an early age, away from physical activities and towards other pastimes. Take into account once more the reaction a female body builder gets from both men and women alike - there's more to this than women just 'not wanting to', but it's not entirely men's fault, though as individuals i'm sure they need to carry their own crosses, as some women do as well.

I've only touched on these points, and there's definitely more than can be said - I won't pretend I've rendered any counter arguments invalid, but I do think there are factors that aren't being taken into account, and that some users seem to think that if a feminist doesn't include every single tiny little detail then they're pretending that detail doesn't exist; which isn't the case, of course.
(edited 9 years ago)
I thought these threads were about sharing opinions? Or are you just intimidated by someone with real-life experience, as opposed to your distorted internet based view of such things?

The fact that you are in denial and have to resort to insults is your issue, not mine.

Your opinions are not consistent with someone who has actually spent time in work. I suppose it's possible that you simply have a very distorted view of what you have seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is based on the average wage of men and women. If you split women and men into two more random groups they would still not be equal. This doesn't take into account the fact women are more likely than men to be housewives, or have a part time job or even two part time jobs, or the fact that part time and full time rates often differ. You'll have a job finding anywhere which pays it's male staff different to it's female staff, this notion exists in overall national statistics only. It's also silly that multiple different job roles be put into one group and then say there's discrimination going on about 'equal pay' when it's different employers and criticising the failing of a system which isn't even there.

Get involved in politics and business then. Women are allowed to do so.

Could I have some examples of this so it doesn't remain a buzz phrase, please?

And men aren't?

That's not really an argument. What would you call sexist and misogynistic? Are you expecting to change every single person's opinion?
(edited 9 years ago)
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/joy-goh-mah/objectification-women-sexy-pictures_b_3403251.html

Interesting article that delves a bit deeper into the objectification of women. It's raises some interesting points for discussion (whether that will happen here or not...) and some ideas that I had not considered previously.

One thing that hit a nerve with me was the referring to women as "somebody's wife/sister/girlfriend" when trying to establish sympathy. I can see how this hearkens back to the women = property idea that has existed for a millennium and it suggests an interesting lack of empathy for a woman, alone, as an individual. It's disturbing to think - and, even more so - to notice how little empathy there is for women who are victims of sexual assault. In fact, we spend more time chastising rape victims for what they "should have" done than for any other crime. As a matter of fact, our cultural desperation to absolve a rapist of any moral guilt is something that I've found uncomfortable in several ways (Steubenville says hi). If she had not been drinking, he wouldn't have done this. If she had not being leading him on, he would not have gotten angry and raped her.

I suppose the question is: do we really need to acknowledge that she belongs to someone - a brother, father, boyfriend- so that we can feel sympathy for her? Is an individual women not enough to stir our hearts? Do we need to be aware that she belongs to someone, a man, more worthy of sympathy?

Going further on the objectification front, for men, women are often put into the same category as a nice car or a fancy watch: a measurement of success. A beautiful women is like a Jaguar. A less attractive women is like a bashed up old banger. It's like her own worth as an individual being is considered less than how she reflects on her "owner" - her man. Women are not judged on how attractive their husbands are, nor how he reflects on her.

It's often brought up that men suffer 'objectification' and I disagree. Men suffer from expectations that define being male. We do not, however, treat men as a being objects. A man's success is defined by what he has: his car, his watch, the attractiveness of the women around his arm. Men themselves are not treated as objects; we do not need to mention he was somebody's husband to be heartbroken by a male murder victim. A man does not 'belong' to anyone: he simply is an individual being.
Are you kidding? Referring to someone in terms of their relationship makes them a possession? I've seen some feminist nonsense in my time ... but this?

And more rape culture stuff? Society consists of all kinds of people with all kinds of opinions - we do not have an ******* shortage, do we? - but to pretend as if society, our society to be clear, throws a party every time there's a rape victim is not just wrong, it's sick in the way it avoids reality. Want to ruin someone's life? Accuse them of rape. You don't even need any evidence - physical or otherwise - you can make your statement and the guy can get picked up in handcuffs from his home or workplace, interrogated for hours and while this happens a chain reaction of losing his job, family and friends will probably have started. You could spread a rumour instead - maybe get the guy beaten up or killed. What happens to rapists inside? Take a guess. But according to feminists we have a rape culture? Would that be the rape culture that even finds offence when the most basic safety advice is given - like booking a taxi - or has no problem with the way our system let's certain women make multiple false accusations before finally doing anything about it? Liz jones - finally charged on her 11th false accusation. The belief that a woman may not be telling the truth about what happened .. reinforced with every single false claim. Feminist campaigns to stop this? Zero. Feminist campaigns to keep blaming men? Take your pick, they're everywhere.

As for objectification? A poor argument. Like the power fantasy vs sex fantasy wheeled out with video games and comics .. just another way to avoid real discussion. And your next part about men just not being treated as objects? Of course they are. Check the news when it reports deaths - men are typically described by function rather than sex. Female deaths or female victims are highlighted, men tend to be just statistics.

Judging is done by both sides and it is deliberately disingenuous to constantly present things as if women are only victims and not guilty of using their preferences to judge, they may look for different things, but they still judge and dismiss just like men can do. "So, tell me Debbie, what was it that first attracted you to the multimillionaire Paul Daniels?"

Of all the many things I dislike about feminism .. constantly reinforcing the 'victim' status of women is one of the most offensive.
You are fast becoming one of my least favourite members.
Original post by the mezzil
1) Because they usually have better jobs. When a man and woman have the same job, they are paid the same.
2) Because men are more competitive, more likely to have STEM degrees and are more aggressive in their pursuit of promotion. Women are catching up though. We do not need feminism for this, rather more aggressive career focused women.
3) There is no such thing as "rape culture"
4) Being sexually objectified is not necessarily bad. Sex is not evil. Admiring a woman's beauty is not misogynistic. Women have a right to be models and porn stars. But being harassed is. We have the police to deal with the latter, not feminism.
5) Well that is just a silly accusation.

So I disagree. Woman have the same legal rights as men, society views women as equal to men. It is just the odd nut case who does not.

/THREAD
Reply 97
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
You are fast becoming one of my least favourite members.

Who the heck are you?
Original post by BoBosus
Who the heck are you?

What's that got to do with anything? I was referring to my dislike for the OP's ridiculous threads.
Original post by Rjdjones
Are you kidding? Referring to someone in terms of their relationship makes them a possession? I've seen some feminist nonsense in my time ... but this?

And more rape culture stuff? Society consists of all kinds of people with all kinds of opinions - we do not have an ******* shortage, do we? - but to pretend as if society, our society to be clear, throws a party every time there's a rape victim is not just wrong, it's sick in the way it avoids reality. Want to ruin someone's life? Accuse them of rape. You don't even need any evidence - physical or otherwise - you can make your statement and the guy can get picked up in handcuffs from his home or workplace, interrogated for hours and while this happens a chain reaction of losing his job, family and friends will probably have started. You could spread a rumour instead - maybe get the guy beaten up or killed. What happens to rapists inside? Take a guess. But according to feminists we have a rape culture? Would that be the rape culture that even finds offence when the most basic safety advice is given - like booking a taxi - or has no problem with the way our system let's certain women make multiple false accusations before finally doing anything about it? Liz jones - finally charged on her 11th false accusation. The belief that a woman may not be telling the truth about what happened .. reinforced with every single false claim. Feminist campaigns to stop this? Zero. Feminist campaigns to keep blaming men? Take your pick, they're everywhere.

As for objectification? A poor argument. Like the power fantasy vs sex fantasy wheeled out with video games and comics .. just another way to avoid real discussion. And your next part about men just not being treated as objects? Of course they are. Check the news when it reports deaths - men are typically described by function rather than sex. Female deaths or female victims are highlighted, men tend to be just statistics.

Judging is done by both sides and it is deliberately disingenuous to constantly present things as if women are only victims and not guilty of using their preferences to judge, they may look for different things, but they still judge and dismiss just like men can do. "So, tell me Debbie, what was it that first attracted you to the multimillionaire Paul Daniels?"

Of all the many things I dislike about feminism .. constantly reinforcing the 'victim' status of women is one of the most offensive.

Could not agree with this post more.

I would add, as I said in another thread, that women are biologically predisposed towards greater neuroticism than men. They are also far more likely to analyse conversations post-hoc and recall the details of what was said better than men. Evidence suggests that hormones are primary mediators of this, both post-puberty but also from birth (in-utero exposure to testosterone reduces these characteristics, for both men and women). These are from actual scientific studies.

The point is: women have a tend to overanalyse things. If you combine that trait with stupidity, you get incessantly self-victimising feminists.

(and to be fair, when you combine typical male traits with stupidity, you get violent criminals)
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending