The Student Room Group

Engineering Science Oxford First Year Syllabus

Does anyone have the Oxford First Year Syllabus?
I have visited the web page:
http://www.eng.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/engineering-science
But I cannot find anything besides the names of the subjects.
What about recommended books?
Thanks a lot !!!
Reply 1
Anyone knows ?

Im also interested by the way.
You'd have to contact the engineering department or a current engineering student for a copy of some reading lists is you can't find any on the oxford website (there was a suggested reading list for my course when I was applying but I've just had a look and they've changed the website so I couldn't easily find one for engineering).

I've been on weblearn and couldn't access the engineering resources as I'm not on that course so I don't think there's any way a non Oxford student will be able to.
Basically email this address asking for any additional information: [email protected] .
Engineering Statics and Dynamics by Meriam and Kraige is pretty standard first-year issue at most unis for engineering. The same pretty much applies for Further Engineering Mathematics by Stroud.
Reply 5
Thank you for answering, as this is also useful for me. Will contact them and probably post it for the OP.

I assume you are studying in Oxford? If so, would you be able to tell me what happens in freshers week? And do the departments hold any event before lectures start to meet people beforehand?

Thanks a lot again !
I too wish to study engineering at Oxford,

Although the department hasn't published a reading list - just go on Cambridge's Eng Dept. website as they have published a reading list.
I assume this will be similar to what the interviewers want 'potential applicants' to read.
While not being necessarily qualified or able to answer everyone about everything, if there are any prospective Oxford engineering freshers with questions over the summer; I would be happy to try and answer.

To partly answer the previous post (which by now is a tad outdated), the aforementioned reading list is interesting, but in truth is not particularly helpful as far as the course is concerned (Big recommend to Sustainable Energy Without the Hot Air though, for making you a more informed human being).

My advice would be - enjoy the summer. The course eases you into the lifestyle well and that should be enough for most people :smile:

RE: Freshers week. Nothing engineering specific from the department no. Your college will probably hold a preliminary few hookups. Other than that just loads... and loads... of social events.

Edit: Hello TSR!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending