The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is Halal Slaughter humane?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Qari
But if you stun the animal and it causes brain damage, then how can you measure brain signals?

How about you learn some GCSE-level neuroscience before talking about this?

If the brain is damaged so that there are no signals, then the animal will feel no pain, because it's brain would be completely shut down - it would already be dead. Stunned animals still have measurable brain signals.
Original post by PythianLegume

If the brain is damaged so that there are no signals, then the animal will feel no pain, because it's brain would be completely shut down - it would already be dead. Stunned animals still have measurable brain signals.

We don't do neuroscience at GCSE :tongue:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
We don't do neuroscience at GCSE :tongue:

It's still not exactly advanced knowledge that the brain works on electrical signals, and a brain with no signals is a dead one. Perhaps I was wrong to say GCSE, but it's certainly expected general science knowledge.
Reply 23

Biology isn't my strong suit.

Also do you know the reason why there are so many questions on halal meat recently.

Yh we muslims can't have those anumals that have suffered brain damage
Original post by Qari
Biology isn't my strong suit.

Also do you know the reason why there are so many questions on halal meat recently.

Yh we muslims can't have those anumals that have suffered brain damage

What is meant by 'brain damage?. Any method of slaughter will cause damage to the brain - it's pretty much a pre-requisite for death, along with the heart stopping. Draining blood will cause 'damage' to the brain by cutting off the blood flow.
It's still not exactly advanced knowledge that the brain works on electrical signals, and a brain with no signals is a dead one. Perhaps I was wrong to say GCSE, but it's certainly expected general science knowledge.

You'd be surprised with levels of science knowledge people have though nowadays!
Reply 26
What is meant by 'brain damage?. Any method of slaughter will cause damage to the brain - it's pretty much a pre-requisite for death, along with the heart stopping. Draining blood will cause 'damage' to the brain by cutting off the blood flow.

do you know the answer to my other question?
Original post by Qari

I have no idea why so many of these threads have come up lately. Maybe there's been a few news articles.
Original post by Qari

I have no idea why so many of these threads have come up lately. Maybe there's been a few news articles.

It's the whole subway craze.
Reply 29

There's one on BBC.
It was also on BBC News

theres no GCSE-level neuroscience sir
Reply 31
It's the whole subway craze.

how can one little decision cause such a huge debate?
Original post by Qari
how can one little decision cause such a huge debate?

People feel cheated on.

It wasn't a little decision, but still, it was a business decision based on the demographics of each store.
Reply 33
People feel cheated on.

It wasn't a little decision, but still, it was a business decision based on the demographics of each store.

I know, I don't know why people can't understand that
Reply 34
Original post by arson_fire
It`s not about islam though. It`s about animals being subjected to unnecessary pain and suffering during their deaths. If we shouldn`t care about how animals are killed then would you agree we shouldn`t prosecute people for microwaving their cats?

Its internationally known that "Halal" meat is produced when the butcher slaughters the animal inflicting minimal pain. He kills it quickly by slitting an artery (I think its an artery).
Reply 35
It`s been proven time and again that halal causes more suffering and pain to the animals. It takes cows up to 2 minutes to bleed to death during which they are fully conscious. There`s links to scientific research proving this earlier in the thread. In addition, the British Veterinary Association, Compassion in World Farming, the Farm Animal Welfare Council, the RSPCA, and the EU all have their own research supporting this. Are all these bodies just being islamophobic?

So using tazers and bashing cows heads in is much better right? British in particular inflict immense amounts of pain to animals and you come here talking to me about how some retarded association dislikes the way Muslims slaughter animals?

It may take a while for all the blood to fully drain, but the cow doesn't stay alive while the blood is being drained... Oxygen supply is automatically cut and the cow practically dies instantly.
Original post by 0xygen
Its internationally known that "Halal" meat is produced when the butcher slaughters the animal inflicting minimal pain. He kills it quickly by slitting an artery (I think its an artery).

Slitting an artery doesn't cause an immediate death, it's quite prolonged, and the initial incision is obviously going to be quite painful
Reply 37
Your wrong about that. Go away and do some research please.

Saw this online(Took me 10 seconds to find):

People who have viewed videos of animal slaughter or have personally watched the slaughter process observed that the animals' legs were still moving and kicking as their throats were being slit, and this has lead them to believe that the animal was still alive after being stunned or killed. This is false. Leg movements are merely unconscious reflexes that are initiated by synapses that come from not the brain itself because the brain would already be non-functioning after being killed, but the spinal cord. Even decapitated animals will kick.

Reply 38
Original post by Qari
But if you stun the animal and it causes brain damage, then how can you measure brain signals?

That was such a moronic thing to say.
Original post by 0xygen
So using tazers and bashing cows heads in is much better right? British in particular inflict immense amounts of pain to animals and you come here talking to me about how some retarded association dislikes the way Muslims slaughter animals?

It may take a while for all the blood to fully drain, but the cow doesn't stay alive while the blood is being drained... Oxygen supply is automatically cut and the cow practically dies instantly.

this ignorance had been dispelled at least 3 times on this or a similar thread- death by oxygen deprivation is not instantaneous. the animal will die from system shock / fall in blood pressure before ox dep. what rubbish you swallow so easily lol

Latest

Trending

Trending